RAC - New Battery?

Posted 22nd May
I used my car yesterday after a long time, started with a bit of a struggle, got to my destination and on the way back it wouldn’t start. My mate had to jump start it for me.

Called RAC today, they said the battery is not accepting charge and that I need a new battery.

Surely it’s just because my cars been idle for a very long time so the battery hasn’t had a chance to charge with the engine on?

I told the guy I’d think about it and buy one if I get an issue again. He started the car and I’ve left the engine running so the battery can charge.

Should I replace the battery or not?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
We are seeing a lot of this at the moment, ideally you need to have the engine running now & again just to keep the battery in a healthy state.
You'll find out when you switch it off & restart it again, take it for a drive & the see what happens. What ever you do, don't buy a battery from the RAC, you'll need a government loan to buy one.
Try Euro Car Parts, they have a bank holiday sale on at the moment using Bank70 code.
Edited by: "richp" 22nd May
34 Comments
It needs replacing. Modern batteries are not like the old ones. If the man says it is not accepting charge he is more likely to be right; but you could always risk it if you want.
We are seeing a lot of this at the moment, ideally you need to have the engine running now & again just to keep the battery in a healthy state.
You'll find out when you switch it off & restart it again, take it for a drive & the see what happens. What ever you do, don't buy a battery from the RAC, you'll need a government loan to buy one.
Try Euro Car Parts, they have a bank holiday sale on at the moment using Bank70 code.
Edited by: "richp" 22nd May
If the vehicle originally started (just) but ran for more than say 10 mins to reach destination, the combination of "got to my destination and on the way back it wouldn’t start" and "they said the battery is not accepting charge" seems credible = new battery appropriate.

Additionally: if the existing battery is of reasonable age it is probably prudent to replace anyway as if it's hinting at approaching end of life now it will be beyond end of life at the first sign of stress. Plus RAC will not attend to a repeat issue that has not been addressed.

You could possibly attempt to minimise the detrimental residual drain of an infrequently-used vehicle's battery by solar trickle charge or the faff of blunt battery isolation immediately after each use.
If your not using the car for a while it may pay you to empty the glove box and leave it open, lock the doors of your car and then disconnect the negative terminal of your battery.
richp22/05/2020 12:49

We are seeing a lot of this at the moment, ideally you need to have the …We are seeing a lot of this at the moment, ideally you need to have the engine running now & again just to keep the battery in a healthy state. You'll find out when you switch it off & restart it again, take it for a drive & the see what happens. What ever you do, don't buy a battery from the RAC, you'll need a government loan to buy one. Try Euro Car Parts, they have a bank holiday sale on at the moment using Bank70 code.

dont use eurocarparts - I bought a varta one from tanya 80 delivered for the biggest one for our car - similar from euro - 120 with discounts!!!!!!!
fuzed22/05/2020 13:24

dont use eurocarparts - I bought a varta one from tanya 80 delivered for …dont use eurocarparts - I bought a varta one from tanya 80 delivered for the biggest one for our car - similar from euro - 120 with discounts!!!!!!!

Tanya is usually where I buy mine....
Make sure you check its lead acid or AGM for stop start vehicles.
Newer car some times need to be reprogramed when new battery is fitted or a special shut down and wake up procedure..
Thanks for all the replies. This article got me a suspicious as to if I really need one:

thesun.co.uk/liv…mp/

Seems from the replies I do...
mas12322/05/2020 14:37

Thanks for all the replies. This article got me a suspicious as to if I …Thanks for all the replies. This article got me a suspicious as to if I really need one:www.thesun.co.uk/living/2295917/bbc-watchdog-investigation-finds-rac-tells-some-customers-to-replace-perfectly-good-car-batteries/amp/Seems from the replies I do...

That article is written by the Sun so chances are it's bull!
If your battery is a few years old and has had a serious discharge like you mention it'll let down again soon enough.
BTW I don't work for the RAC and as previously mentioned they are rip off prices for batteries.
Edited by: "PaulandPam" 22nd May
Go out for at least a 30 mins drive on a motorway, keeping the revs up and this should charge the battery.

If the problem persists then it needs changing.
Check the health of the battery by attaching a multi meter with the engine switched off.
rimalpatel00722/05/2020 17:52

Check the health of the battery by attaching a multi meter with the engine …Check the health of the battery by attaching a multi meter with the engine switched off.

This, OP your battery should be about 12.6V when engine is off.

Around about 14.5V when it's on so you can check if your alternator is working properly as well.
How old is the battery?
Buckyball22/05/2020 18:50

How old is the battery?

I’m not sure, I only bought the car in December.
mas12322/05/2020 19:14

I’m not sure, I only bought the car in December.

How old is the car? If it's around 4-5 years old then it'll most probably still be on the original battery.

Batteries can be very temperamental these days. Even battery testers aren't always accurate, I had a faulty battery recently and assumed it was ok as I replaced it a couple of years ago myself. Had several battery tests and all seemed good but fault persisted. Changed starter motor still persisted, Tried my mates battery tester and it confirmed that my battery was indeed faulty. Replaced that and back to normal.
.MUFC.22/05/2020 19:31

How old is the car? If it's around 4-5 years old then it'll most probably …How old is the car? If it's around 4-5 years old then it'll most probably still be on the original battery.Batteries can be very temperamental these days. Even battery testers aren't always accurate, I had a faulty battery recently and assumed it was ok as I replaced it a couple of years ago myself. Had several battery tests and all seemed good but fault persisted. Changed starter motor still persisted, Tried my mates battery tester and it confirmed that my battery was indeed faulty. Replaced that and back to normal.

It’s an old car, Honda Civic 2005.
mas12322/05/2020 19:33

Any dates printed on the battery?

Anyway if a battery goes totally dead at any point it can kill them. A test might make it obvious but like in my case they're not always accurate.
mas12322/05/2020 19:33

Just change the battery. The RAC will not lie about the battery not holding charge. They will however try to flog you a battery at double the price.
.MUFC.22/05/2020 19:38

Any dates printed on the battery?Anyway if a battery goes totally dead at …Any dates printed on the battery?Anyway if a battery goes totally dead at any point it can kill them. A test might make it obvious but like in my case they're not always accurate.

Actually now you say that, a few months back I left my headlights on and completely drained the battery. Had to be jump started.
mas12322/05/2020 19:46

Actually now you say that, a few months back I left my headlights on and …Actually now you say that, a few months back I left my headlights on and completely drained the battery. Had to be jump started.

It is possible that that could have impacted the capacity etc.. Might be worth charging it fully either by leaving car running/going on a long run or via battery charger etc. Assuming RAC would have checked the alternator etc.
If a new battery is required, try getting Yuasa which is recommended for Japanese cars.

Plus their batteries have a health indicator which you can tell how healthy it is. Should be around £50 online.
regretful122/05/2020 13:20

If your not using the car for a while it may pay you to empty the glove …If your not using the car for a while it may pay you to empty the glove box and leave it open, lock the doors of your car and then disconnect the negative terminal of your battery.

What's the deal with the glove box?
Whatever you do, DO NOT purchase the battery from RAC, they just purchase them from Euro Car Parts. Went there to collect an item and RAC guy was placing 10-15 batteries in his van. Cheaper to buy direct with the same warranty.
u66454122/05/2020 19:58

What's the deal with the glove box?

Most car thieves are opportunists, if your leaving your car on the street then if there looking to steal something then they know there is nothing in your glove box
regretful122/05/2020 22:51

Most car thieves are opportunists, if your leaving your car on the street …Most car thieves are opportunists, if your leaving your car on the street then if there looking to steal something then they know there is nothing in your glove box

Funniest thing of the day. Really? Most thieves just smash a window & grab what is in sight whilst the alarm is going off. They certainly will not be using screwdrivers on the glove box whilst the alarm is going off.
Willy_Wonka22/05/2020 22:57

Funniest thing of the day. Really? Most thieves just smash a window & grab …Funniest thing of the day. Really? Most thieves just smash a window & grab what is in sight whilst the alarm is going off. They certainly will not be using screwdrivers on the glove box whilst the alarm is going off.

A number of cars don't have locks on the glove box, and the fact you have disconnected the battery would mean the alarms not on
Edited by: "regretful1" 22nd May
regretful122/05/2020 23:01

A number of cars don't have locks on the glove box

You are probably correct. Which ones?
Peugeot 206 LX
regretful122/05/2020 23:03

Peugeot 206 LX

Ok. You talk a picture of a peugeot 206 glove box & I will too. Unfortunately I cannot do this until Monday but it certainly has a lock on it. I had to open it today for a friend to recover a brake like bulb from it. What a coincidence.
I had a peugeot 206 and can assure you there was no lock on there.

ebay.co.uk/itm…851
regretful122/05/2020 23:13

I had a peugeot 206 and can assure you there was no lock on …I had a peugeot 206 and can assure you there was no lock on there.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-206-Glove-Box-Door-Dark-Blue/143225875788?_trkparms=aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=225076&meid=dee0537081b740c78e9286630474bdb0&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=12&mehot=pf&sd=193291578021&itm=143225875788&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=SimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV1Filter&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

206 Mk1 glove box
40842936-oiEdj.jpg
I'm not disputing that there are Peugeot 206 with locks, just that some Gloveboxes don't have locks

For the record, My Zafira Tourer doesn't have a lock on the glove box, It hasn't got an alarm either! I don't leave anything of any value in it though tbh

Glove box locks can be optional on some models etc..

Check the health of the battery by attaching a multi meter with the engine …Check the health of the battery by attaching a multi meter with the engine switched off.

The RAC guy done that, I’m assuming that’s how he made his assessment. I took the car for a 30 min drive yesterday to try and charge the battery.

I used the car today it started fine before setting off and when leaving from my destination.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions