Racism in Barcelona?

Found 12th JanEdited by:"professorEX"
I took these pictures in Barcelona today, who do they want to go home?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
You sure that's not Australia?
44 Comments

33049741-RscEX.jpg
Edited by: "professorEX" 12th Jan
33049765-a5Lm4.jpg
I think it refers to tourists.
Guris == cops
You sure that's not Australia?
Other translation says kid or child
33049931-G74Kz.jpg
professorEX33 m ago

[Image]

Must mean Australians, it's upside down!
tregs38 m ago

I wish someone would invent google

Invert even ?
@professorEX did you take other happier photos of Barcelona streets on your 128MB SD card?
Not much changed since my visit in 2005 then.
But is it racism when directed towards people of your own colour and ethnicity?
"Romans, they go outside the house"?
Uranus12th Jan

But is it racism when directed towards people of your own colour and …But is it racism when directed towards people of your own colour and ethnicity?

Depends on your colour and ethnicity............. a black rap artist or a black
actor can use the "N" word, but a white one can't..........
Alfsmum4 m ago

Depends on your colour and ethnicity............. a black rap artist or a …Depends on your colour and ethnicity............. a black rap artist or a black actor can use the "N" word, but a white one can't..........

Literally nothing to do with my comment.
Uranus12th Jan

But is it racism when directed towards people of your own colour and …But is it racism when directed towards people of your own colour and ethnicity?

I refer to people as white trash on a regular basis, I'm pretty sure it's offensive but I wouldn't consider it racist.
shadey122 m ago

I refer to people as white trash on a regular basis, I'm pretty sure it's …I refer to people as white trash on a regular basis, I'm pretty sure it's offensive but I wouldn't consider it racist.

So then is it fair to say that the graffiti in the photo posted by the OP is not racist?

EDIT: clarification
Edited by: "Uranus" 12th Jan
Uranus12th Jan

Literally nothing to do with my comment.

You asked if it can be racist against people of the same colour and ethnicity -
and I answered that no it cant citing how someone black can use the "N" word towards another..
I thought that was your question ...?
Uranus12th Jan

So then is it fair to say that the graffiti in the photo posted by the OP …So then is it fair to say that the graffiti in the photo posted by the OP is not racist?EDIT: clarification

If it was the intention of the 'artist' to be racist, then it is and vice versa.
Just my opinion.
shadey122 m ago

If it was the intention of the 'artist' to be racist, then it is and vice …If it was the intention of the 'artist' to be racist, then it is and vice versa.Just my opinion.

Yeah but, my understanding of 'Guiri' from my short time in Andalusia was that it was directed at Brit ex pats.
To the point that the ex pat Brits who supported Malaga football club called themselves 'The Guiri Army' in some kind of bid to take ownership of the word.
Uranus12th Jan

Yeah but, my understanding of 'Guiri' from my short time in Andalusia was …Yeah but, my understanding of 'Guiri' from my short time in Andalusia was that it was directed at Brit ex pats.To the point that the ex pat Brits who supported Malaga football club called themselves 'The Guiri Army' in some kind of bid to take ownership of the word.

33050532-qZlP6.jpglanguages4life.com/avo…na/

It would seem to be aimed at tourists, racist?
I would most probably have a love/hate relationship with them if I was a local.
Would that make me a racist is open to interpretation.
Hope you're having a good time Prof!
who do they want to go home?

Hopefully people that can't post photos the correct way up
Bit strange considering the tourism trade brings in millions of pounds for them at Barcelona
Thinly veiled "I'm in Barcelona" thread.
Enjoy your holiday
I don't think 'Guiris' has any racist undertone, it's no different from the Cornish word 'Grockle' or the Devon word 'Emmet'. They are just derogatory terms for tourists in general. Emmet is actually an Old English word for ant, it's used to describe tourist because they arrive in swarms in Summer and disappear when it rains. Quite appropriate really
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 12th Jan
is it racist when Caucasians want other Caucasians to go home?

I think the OP is attempting to drum up hate where there is no racist implication.

Maybe the OP should be reported to the police for inciting hatred.
It's not racist, tourists can be from anywhere?
The second part says tourism is killing the neighborhoods.
Mass tourism has pushed up prices in the City and lots of airbnbs spoiling the neighborhood feel you know.
Edited by: "Cr0m" 13th Jan
Barca is a massively racist place!

They are certainty sick of so much tourism. All the black sellers on the streets in the evenings, sleeping in the parks and underground stations by the day.

It is possibly going to be a capital in which no can or wants to live in given its current issues!
groenleader5 h, 23 m ago

Barca is a massively racist place! They are certainty sick of so much …Barca is a massively racist place! They are certainty sick of so much tourism. All the black sellers on the streets in the evenings, sleeping in the parks and underground stations by the day. It is possibly going to be a capital in which no can or wants to live in given its current issues!

Madrid?
Cr0m14 h, 38 m ago

It's not racist, tourists can be from anywhere?The second part says …It's not racist, tourists can be from anywhere?The second part says tourism is killing the neighborhoods. Mass tourism has pushed up prices in the City and lots of airbnbs spoiling the neighborhood feel you know.

Nail on the head. It's a problem around the world in tourist hotspots. Airbnb has made it easier to rent property informally to tourists and so pushed up prices and made less residential property available to low income residents. That combined with government, all over, tending to give less of a damn about the needs of poorer citizens has led to resentment.
groenleader9 h, 5 m ago

Barca is a massively racist place! They are certainty sick of so much …Barca is a massively racist place! They are certainty sick of so much tourism. All the black sellers on the streets in the evenings, sleeping in the parks and underground stations by the day. It is possibly going to be a capital in which no can or wants to live in given its current issues!

Barca is the football team...

How is Barcelona massively racist?

How come your avatar is of the Rhodesian army btw?

Did you know United Nations Security Council Resolution 216 of 12 November 1965 called "upon all States not to recognise this illegal racist minority regime in Southern Rhodesia"?

This after Rhodesia betrayed the British crown and declared independence.
Guiri is for a certain type of tourist. It's mostly lad groups. In Eastern Europe it is similar with those who trash streets on a stag do.
Mass tourism is killing cities and ridding them of their indigenous residents. Barcelona is a nightmare as is Vienna. Edinburgh is getting the same with tourists,students and airbnb beginning to ruin the city centre.
Cr0m4 h, 31 m ago

Barca is the football team... How is Barcelona massively racist? How come …Barca is the football team... How is Barcelona massively racist? How come your avatar is of the Rhodesian army btw? Did you know United Nations Security Council Resolution 216 of 12 November 1965 called "upon all States not to recognise this illegal racist minority regime in Southern Rhodesia"?This after Rhodesia betrayed the British crown and declared independence.

Barca is just my shortinging of Barcelona as I was using a mobile device to post.

Go read my post history. I'm black, I served in Rhodesian army. Like many I left Zim. Problem?
Edited by: "groenleader" 13th Jan
deleted1431257
As long as Catalonia gets independence and Barcelona gets kicked out of La Liga, I don’t mind
hooray.henry4 h, 5 m ago

Mass tourism is killing cities and ridding them of their indigenous …Mass tourism is killing cities and ridding them of their indigenous residents. Barcelona is a nightmare as is Vienna. Edinburgh is getting the same with tourists,students and airbnb beginning to ruin the city centre.

Welcome to capitalism
To be fair, the view of those that vandalised this wall are unlikely to be truly representative of the working/educated populations opinion. No different to some of the crap we have written on walls here normally masterminded by a student who spends half the working week smoking weed.
groenleader23 h, 25 m ago

Barca is just my shortinging of Barcelona as I was using a mobile device …Barca is just my shortinging of Barcelona as I was using a mobile device to post.Go read my post history. I'm black, I served in Rhodesian army. Like many I left Zim. Problem?

No problem. This is a thread where there was a misunderstanding about graffiti that wasn't racist.
You then declared that Barcelona was "massively racist" which is something I've not heard before, while having a picture up of an apartheid state. Objectively, you must see that seems rather odd.
Uranus12th Jan

So then is it fair to say that the graffiti in the photo posted by the OP …So then is it fair to say that the graffiti in the photo posted by the OP is not racist?EDIT: clarification

Xenophobic?

People here in UK now seem to use Racist when they mean Xenophobic... I'm not racist... but I am slight xenophobic...

I blame the Irish for me being like it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants