Expired

Racism map reveals the world’s most and least racist places

Found 17th May 2013
SWEDISH researchers were looking at race:

The survey asked respondents in more than 80 different countries to identify kinds of people they would not want as neighbours. Some respondents, picking from a list, chose “people of a different race.” The more frequently that people in a given country say they don’t want neighbours from other races, the economists reasoned, the less racially tolerant you could call that society. (The study concluded that economic freedom had no correlation with racial tolerance, but it does appear to correlate with tolerance toward homosexuals.)…

The findings:

Anglo and Latin countries most tolerant. People in the survey were most likely to embrace a racially diverse neighbour in the United Kingdom and its Anglo former colonies (the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand) and in Latin America. The only real exceptions were oil-rich Venezuela, where income inequality sometimes breaks along racial lines, and the Dominican Republic, perhaps because of its adjacency to troubled Haiti. Scandinavian countries also scored high.

• India, Jordan, Bangladesh and Hong Kong by far the least tolerant.

* France appeared to be one of the least racially tolerant countries on the continent, with 22.7 percent saying they didn’t want a neighbor of another race.

• The Middle East not so tolerant.

• Racial tolerance low in diverse Asian countries.

• South Korea, not very tolerant, is an outlier.

• Pakistan, remarkably tolerant, also an outlier…Pakistanis are more racially tolerant than even the Germans or the Dutch.

WHO GIVES A ****
- stuartsdog
Community Updates
MiscMap
65 Comments
Original Poster Banned
http://www.anorak.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/racism-world-map.jpg
Original Poster Banned
Dem French, who would want to live next door to a Frenchie anyway!
Edited by: "greatest666" 17th May 2013
Ahhh...a thread on racism. This can only end well
Original Poster Banned
Fireball XL-5

Ahhh...a thread on racism. This can only end well

Us British do get a bad rap on here after all.
greatest666

Us British do get a bad rap on here after all.

How dare you assume I'm British. I'm actually 1/2 Chinese, 1/4 Indian and 1/4 Greek (Only kidding)
Tottenham is full of racists X)
Original Poster Banned
coloradorockies

Tottenham is full of racists X)

You're weird.
By rights Australia should have been so red it burned out the pixels on my monitor.
Guessing they didn't survey many council estates then.
I imagine if I asked people (from all nationalities/races living in the UK) this same question without an agenda (and received a 100% true answer) the colour of Britain would be a completely different colour.
I would live next door to any race other than Scottish & Gypsy.
danmc

I would live next door to any race other than Scottish & Gypsy.

Scottish is not a race. It's a nationality. Gypsy is not a race, it is an ethnic group. I really don't understand how racism has become so all encompassing and now defines any sort of ethnic discrimination or how racism can be used against people of the same race, or why race is now defined by nationality.
Edited by: "RossD89" 18th May 2013
You've been told dan X)
RossD89

Scottish is not a race. It's a nationality.

Really I thought race refers to a broad division of people based on their biological characteristics? So what's with all the ginger hair, benefits and love of Buckfast?

Nice save on the Gypsies BTW.
Edited by: "danmc" 18th May 2013
danmc

Really I thought race refers to a broad division of people based on their … Really I thought race refers to a broad division of people based on their biological characteristics? So what's with all the ginger hair, benefits and love of buckfast.Nice save on the Gypsies BTW.

Pretty much spot on.

Race is a classification system used to categorize humans into large and distinct populations or groups by anatomical, cultural, ethnic, genetic, geographical, historical, linguistic, religious, or social affiliation
danmc

Really I thought race refers to a broad division of people based on their … Really I thought race refers to a broad division of people based on their biological characteristics? So what's with all the ginger hair, benefits and love of Buckfast?Nice save on the Gypsies BTW.

deeky

Pretty much spot on.Race is a classification system used to categorize … Pretty much spot on.Race is a classification system used to categorize humans into large and distinct populations or groups by anatomical, cultural, ethnic, genetic, geographical, historical, linguistic, religious, or social affiliation

Fair enough lol. Let's just pretend my last comment was never made then X)
Edited by: "RossD89" 18th May 2013
RossD89

Fair enough lol. Let's just pretend my last comment was never made then:D

I feel bad now I did pick that up from Wikipedia so there's no guarantee I'm right
Are we not all that slightly bit racist?

I know I am.
mboora

Are we not all that slightly bit racist?I know I am.

very true

most of my friends are Muslim and many are from India, Pakistan and the middle east, so many would think I am not racist, but I am not very kean on Germans, never met a nice one, the French are a bit funny too.

I also would not want to live next to a gypsy, again this is based on lots of personal experience
There is no scientific evidence to support the idea of different "races". It is a political concept historically developed to justify imperialism and slavery and as such is impossible to pin down without reference to historical context.

You then add into the mix ignorant racists, bigots a xenophobes who throw the word around indiscriminantly out of said ignorance or in an attempt to undermine its credibility. Finally you get at the bottom of the heap those in life and in the misc who use it back when thier behaviour is challenged like some kind of weird game of word pong.

http://i41.tinypic.com/6r3v37.jpg
Are Scousers a race?

Banned
are trolls a race? not in survey. weird
I am not really a fan of people who wear white socks. There I have said it.

I dont think it has anything to do with political imperialism though, its probably more related to smelly feet
Banned
what about bullies?
Plum

There is no scientific evidence to support the idea of different "races".

This. Race is a social construct.

African populations are actually more genetically diverse than European populations.

So some Europeans are actually genetically closer to some Africans than some (other) Africans are.

Having said that, everyone's a little bit racist...
Edited by: "komakino" 18th May 2013
Banned
WoolyM

I am not really a fan of people who wear white socks. There I have said … I am not really a fan of people who wear white socks. There I have said it. I dont think it has anything to do with political imperialism though, its probably more related to smelly feet

what on earth are you babbling on about ? imperalism, feet - socks?

Edited by: "ewwaxo" 18th May 2013
Obviously the racist map doesn’t show the increase in racism in Scotland.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/herald-view/racism-rearing-its-ugly-head.19652130

Anti-racism demo told Farage to ‘go back to his own country’ so they are too thick to even realise they are also racist.
Banned
hard-man-stan

Obviously the racist map doesn’t show the increase in racism in S … Obviously the racist map doesn’t show the increase in racism in Scotland.http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/herald-view/racism-rearing-its-ugly-head.19652130Anti-racism demo told Farage to ‘go back to his own country’ so they are too thick to even realise they are also racist.

don't see the ploblem. http://www.thedrum.com/uploads/drum_basic_article/82791/main_images/brian%20limmy%20limond_0.jpg
ewwaxo

don't see the ploblem.

Well I guess you wouldn't have a ploblem - whatever that is!
Banned
hard-man-stan

Well I guess you wouldn't have a ploblem - whatever that is!

overall they are big time racist. minorities are more exposed, as there are fewer.
Banned
hard-man-stan

Obviously the racist map doesn’t show the increase in racism in S … Obviously the racist map doesn’t show the increase in racism in Scotland.http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/herald-view/racism-rearing-its-ugly-head.19652130Anti-racism demo told Farage to ‘go back to his own country’ so they are too thick to even realise they are also racist.

thats facism
STUPID MAP IS STUPID
Banned
I think the "research" conducted seems to be making sweeping generalisations and you'd require a lot more data, over generations, with various people, locations and keep track of socio-economic trends to get anywhere close to the truth.

That said, there's lies, damn lies and then there's statistics...
hard-man-stan

As if to prove my earlier point. If somebody said this they were displaying nationalism or xenophobia, not racism. When you actually look at the footage that was not in any way the thrust of the protest.

Yet again ignorant bigot is misusing the term to discredit it proper use.
This feels more accurate to me

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/3451/racismworldmap.jpg
komakino

This. Race is a social construct. African populations are actually more … This. Race is a social construct. African populations are actually more genetically diverse than European populations.So some Europeans are actually genetically closer to some Africans than some (other) Africans are.

Source on this? I've read a similarly oriented article about the Chinese population and how they're the least genetically diverse on earth, but never a study into Caucasians or Africans, so I'd be interested to read more.
spaceinvader

This feels more accurate to me

i think this is more accurate
[img]encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJhr8YlMmg0QGUMOA6UOKt-2hjcQt3xsWYf6y5dVhFh1ygkHJ8Ig[/img]
Banned
the swedes are the most racist people on the planet.
Plum

As if to prove my earlier point. If somebody said this they were … As if to prove my earlier point. If somebody said this they were displaying nationalism or xenophobia, not racism. When you actually look at the footage that was not in any way the thrust of the protest.Yet again ignorant bigot is misusing the term to discredit it proper use.

I may be ignorant but I am not a bigot but on the other hand.........
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants