Racist jokes

Found 25th Apr 2015
Racism is not tolerated and several people have been punished for their racist rants in public, and rightly so, may I add.

However, it would appear that this does not apply to racist jokes, most of which I do find hilarious, but only because it is said in jest.

My OH went to see a comedian performance recently and 30% of the jokes were racist but everyone just laughed and clapped.

I am not sure if perhaps racist jokes should be limited in this modern day, even though they are funny, but they are not appropriate in a society that is meant to deter racism?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
61 Comments

To discriminate someone based on their skin colour is of course wrong, especially if the person who is being racist has an actual deep rooted hate for a certain race and deems them inferior.

However if you're making a joke and people know deep down you are not racist, then it shouldn't be a problem, otherwise comedians wouldn't exist, their material usually contains racism, sexism, jokes about sexuality , identity, religion, how someone looks, speaks, dresses etc. Some people take things too personally these days and get offended when no offence is meant.
Edited by: "A1512" 25th Apr 2015

Original Poster

Aiden1512

To discriminate someone based on their skin colour is of course wrong, … To discriminate someone based on their skin colour is of course wrong, especially if the person who is being racist has an actual deep rooted hate for a certain race and deems them inferior. However if you're making a joke and people know deep down you are not racist, then it shouldn't be a problem, otherwise comedians wouldn't exist, their material usually contains racism, sexism, jokes about sexuality , identity, religion, how someone looks, speaks, dresses etc. Some people take things too personally these days and can't take a joke.

would jokes against the irish be considered racist or would that be considered nationalism as ireland is not considered a race?

Aiden1512

To discriminate someone based on their skin colour is of course wrong...

...perhaps we should agree on a definition of 'race' before this thread goes off at a tangent.

mutley1

would jokes against the irish be considered racist or would that be … would jokes against the irish be considered racist or would that be considered nationalism as ireland is not considered a race?

If somebody of Irish nationality makes a joke about "the Irish" is that racist, or just a joke?

Banned

Racist jokes for comedy value is okay I reckon.

ewwaxo

...until somebody is offended on behalf of an entire nation, or race, or because they can.

mutley1

would jokes against the irish be considered racist or would that be … would jokes against the irish be considered racist or would that be considered nationalism as ireland is not considered a race?

To me it would be considered as a joke, nothing else.

Eddie Murphy and Richard Prior wouldn't have had any material if racist jokes had been banned.

Original Poster

ewwaxo

i would tend to agree. i think it also depends on the actual joke.
for example the one that was performed was a bit uncomfortable for me.

it goes like this:

we used to have a white christmas in this country but not any more as Britain is no longer white.

i would tend to think this is erring on the racism side rather than being funny as i personally don't find this funny but feel it could be a snide remark. however, having said that, it is only stating what is reality i suppose, but i just don't feel this is appropriate material for a joke.

Banned

ewwaxo

Bernard Manning was a genius. His content probably held him back from greater success to be honest but I never saw him as nasty and I am of half foreign extraction.

What we don't want is the sort of nasty casual racism put forward by ukip, national front etc as acceptable. That is straight up bigotry.

Banned

stuarthanley

Eddie Murphy and Richard Prior wouldn't have had any material if racist … Eddie Murphy and Richard Prior wouldn't have had any material if racist jokes had been banned.

nonsense.

I find those of whatever race that are making jokes up about the same race as to what they are tend to get away with it with more laughter than if the 'joker' was of a different race to the joke in question.

I find that wrong too.

Depends on the individual person, some think its being racist for example a white person putting on a chinese accent. I find its not racist (for example if it was a comedy show).

Original Poster

fanpages

If somebody of Irish nationality makes a joke about "the Irish" is that … If somebody of Irish nationality makes a joke about "the Irish" is that racist, or just a joke?

if someone is making racist jokes against their own race then it is funny as they obviously mean it as a joke since it is taking the **** out of themselves.

fanpages

If somebody of Irish nationality makes a joke about "the Irish" is that … If somebody of Irish nationality makes a joke about "the Irish" is that racist, or just a joke?

mutley1

if someone is making racist jokes against their own race then it is funny … if someone is making racist jokes against their own race then it is funny as they obviously mean it as a joke since it is taking the **** out of themselves.

OK...

As I mentioned above, without a definition of what a 'race' is (within the context of this thread), can an Irish national with light skin pigmentation make a 'joke' about an Irish man or woman with a dark skin pigmentation?

ewwaxo

nonsense.

You think? Have you ever watched their stand up routines?

Original Poster

stuarthanley

You think? Have you ever watched their stand up routines?

but they makes jokes about their own race which makes it funny. it wouldn't be so funny if a white person makes racist jokes against black people, or at least it would be uncomfortable to watch.

mutley1

if someone is making racist jokes against their own race then it is funny … if someone is making racist jokes against their own race then it is funny as they obviously mean it as a joke since it is taking the **** out of themselves.

I think i know the comedian you are referring to, i think he makes all kinds of jokes up about all races and backgrounds. Which i think is great refreshing and with no malice intended at all.

I was driving through Bradford the other day and a group of Asian school kids shouting "cumon white boy get out of your van" ...Im 6ft 8 and don't have a tall card I get tall jokes every week !! we say racism correct me if im wrong but aren't we are all the human race ,,,,,the world as we know is doomed

mutley1

but they makes jokes about their own race which makes it funny. it … but they makes jokes about their own race which makes it funny. it wouldn't be so funny if a white person makes racist jokes against black people, or at least it would be uncomfortable to watch.

But a black man making jokes about white people or Italians isn't racist then?

Original Poster

J4GG4

I think i know the comedian you are referring to, i think he makes all … I think i know the comedian you are referring to, i think he makes all kinds of jokes up about all races and backgrounds. Which i think is great refreshing and with no malice intended at all.

this comedian is white and all his racist jokes are against non white. i think if you make jokes, you should also be prepared to throw a few in against yourself to show no malice intended.

There's a thin line between to laugh with and to laugh at.

bring back love thy nabour days
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/A1k7hKp1SqL._SL1500_.jpg

I laugh at the racist jokes in family guy and think how the hell do they get away with that.I watched a full series of Love thy neighbour i got cheap off amazon and was amazed at the racist jokes they made in what was a 70's sitcom shown early evenings.Even shows like Mind your language or It aint half hot mum will probably never be shown again on tv again.

Original Poster

jakethebeagles

There's a thin line between to laugh with and to laugh at.

there are some jokes which are very funny but they are really nasty so really not even laugh at but demean.

all the old stuff was so funny
especially in black and white can I say that now ?????

emmabee123

all the old stuff was so funny especially in black and white can I say … all the old stuff was so funny especially in black and white can I say that now ?????

"Non-inclusive visual output that may, or may not, cater for those with poor visual perception" is how it should be described now.... I think

thebaron69

I laugh at the racist jokes in family guy and think how the hell do they … I laugh at the racist jokes in family guy and think how the hell do they get away with that.I watched a full series of Love thy neighbour i got cheap off amazon and was amazed at the racist jokes they made in what was a 70's sitcom shown early evenings.Even shows like Mind your language or It aint half hot mum will probably never be shown again on tv again.

[ hotukdeals.com/mis…233 ]

Bernard Righton encapsulates political correctness in his following joke...

There's an Irishman, a homosexual, and a Jew standing at a bar. What a fine example of an integrated community.

TheDreamer

Bernard Manning was a genius. His content probably held him back from … Bernard Manning was a genius. His content probably held him back from greater success to be honest but I never saw him as nasty and I am of half foreign extraction.

You reckon? He has a deeply sinister undertone and vitriol that goes well beyond 'banter'. See here for example (one of many) - is his under the breath comment at 29:20 purely an act and not 'nasty' or an example of his very real xenophobia\racism? [NSFW] Manning on the Japanese
Edited by: "jah128" 25th Apr 2015

one of the funniest things I've ever seen was blazzing saddles. I know they'll never remake that again cos you would not get away with it. I think nowadays we are more scared of being politically incorrect or hurting people's feelings rather than being the one big human race.

Their is a difference between being racist and having a sense of humour.

The uk laws on racism have always been racist in themselves. In the uk it is still ok to be racist to certain nationalities and even the media are complicit with this selective racism.
Also racism isnt just a white black issue but a multi cultural issue but lets not go there as its much easier to blame the white guy for everything init?

Well it seems racism can move into comedy very easy.. its OK to laugh with people using racism and laughing at the premise of it, ridiculing the intolerant, but its never OK to laugh at people...

Family guy amazes me sometimes how they get away with some things, esp the Jewish jokes, but i suppose they are leaning on the laughing with you side as 90% of the writers are jewish.

But indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/201…110

Dunno. This popped up in the playlist the other day, made me laugh:

youtube.com/wat…alc

moneysavingkitten

Dunno. This popped up in the playlist the other day, made me … Dunno. This popped up in the playlist the other day, made me laugh:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg6CTFwOalc

http://designculturelab.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/PussPuss.jpg

deeky

He's a crazy mofo. Do you really want to get me started on that?

moneysavingkitten

He's a crazy mofo. Do you really want to get me started on that?

Who? I was just saying hello. I just looked for a 'here puss puss' pic X) I see what you mean though

Anyway, I'm going to bed. Night kitty

Edited by: "deeky" 26th Apr 2015

deeky

Who? I was just saying hello. I just looked for a 'here puss puss' pic X) … Who? I was just saying hello. I just looked for a 'here puss puss' pic X) I see what you mean though

*facepalm* With a shotgun? *not sure if being friend or unfriendly*

How's this then?
http://s6.postimg.org/wtsvt22td/screenshot_20.png

deeky

How's this then?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-g-OLuDGlooQ/UY1oqz8QUHI/AAAAAAAAAC8/HurDG-SAcTM/s1600/purring+kitty.JPG

Much nicer

deeky

How's this then?

http://lovemeow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/HAk9tV.jpg
Edited by: "MSK." 26th Apr 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions