Radiator trv's advice

Found 7th Sep 2017
My boiler is set to 60 as above this temp my rads are just to hot, scalding hot.

i like the room temp to be 18 in the bedrooms and 21-24 in the lounge.

The builders have put trv's on every rad in the house! I have turned the bathroom upto max (they are drayton trv's and have1-6 MAX) I am unsure what number to put the other rooms on. Lounge, hall, bedrooms. Any advice? I dont know what temperature the numbers represent.

All i know is with all the trv's open my house gets too hot too quick. Its not ambient it just gets hot. Even when the thermostat says only 23/24

The thing is the living room has a trv and thats the room with the thermostat .
One of the bedrooms has a thermostat in it too and also a trv in that room. I cant put the radiator in the bedroom very high because it gets too hot and i worry about my littlen touching it.

How do i set my heating system!? Because I'm confused with what i touch etc

Thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
23 Comments

60c is damn hot for radiators and I think our combi goes up to about the mid 40c. What sort of system do you have ?

Original Poster

Baxi combi. The water goes upto 60 max and the heating range is 30-80

I'd turn the boiler temp down to 45, turn all radiators to 3, leaving the bathroom one on max, then simply increase/decrease each room individually to find your ideal temperature.
Edited by: "andynicol" 7th Sep 2017

I might be completely wrong but in my house all the radiators except one have tvr's on them. I thought the trvr's only regulated the flow of hot water going through them not to regulate the temperature they output at. After all it's the same temperature water coming out of the boiler throughout the system. The valve set at 1 will restrict the water flow making the radiator heat up slower but ultimately will have the same heat outtage after a longer length of time compared to a radiator set at 6 which will allow the water to flood the radiator instantly and give heat out straight away. One solution might be to install a portable hive device and put it in the room with the lowest temperature and turn all the other tvr's down.
i would put all the trv's on half way and experiment turning them individually up or down depending on which room you would like to be hotter or cooler. (You might have to change the settings throughout the evening or first thing in the morning).

baileysqueen6 m ago

Baxi combi. The water goes upto 60 max and the heating range is 30-80

Depending on how efficient your rads are I think 35-40c should be plenty. Your home should never get cold enough to be that bad.

Toptrumpet3 m ago

I might be completely wrong but in my house all the radiators except one …I might be completely wrong but in my house all the radiators except one have tvr's on them. I thought the trvr's only regulated the flow of hot water going through them not to regulate the temperature they output at. After all it's the same temperature water coming out of the boiler throughout the system. The valve set at 1 will restrict the water flow making the radiator heat up slower but ultimately will have the same heat outtage after a longer length of time compared to a radiator set at 6 which will allow the water to flood the radiator instantly and give heat out straight away. One solution might be to install a portable hive device and put it in the room with the lowest temperature and turn all the other tvr's down.i would put all the trv's on half way and experiment turning them individually up or down depending on which room you would like to be hotter or cooler. (You might have to change the settings throughout the evening or first thing in the morning).

I assume when the TRV gets too hot it switches off the flow.

Yes, I assume it's got some sort of metal spring inside that when it heats up it expands and pushes the valve inside cutting the water flow off.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 7th Sep 2017

kester7621 m ago

60c is damn hot for radiators and I think our combi goes up to about the …60c is damn hot for radiators and I think our combi goes up to about the mid 40c. What sort of system do you have ?

If you're referring to your boiler temperature I had British Gas round today to fix my boiler and they said to set the temperature on the boiler around 2/3 of the knob dial for anyone that hasn't got a digital temperature gauge.

Original Poster

I have the water on max at 60 because it takes a minute or two to come through hot and they're mixer taps anyway. I like a hot shower and cooler the water was coming out too cold.

The heating is my puzzle. With a boiler temp of 60 which is just over halfway the rads do get hot, very hot. When the boiler was installed it was set cooler but for the life of me i cannot remember what temp it was. I was told to set the boiler to max for efficiency and use the trv's and the room thermostat, but the rads got so hot they were almost glowing and i have two kids, so i turned the boiler down 60. Even now two winters later i still haven't got it right. I should of left it all alone when it was installed! lol!

Andynichol and Kester76 I will set the temp to 40/45 and the trv's to 3 and see how i get on. Thank you. Hopefully this winter will be 3rd time lucky lol.

Alter the flow temperature at the boiler to one you are comfortable isn't too hot for your child to touch, then experiment with the TRVs until you find the setting that gives a comfortable room temperature. the numbers never correspond to a room temperature accurately.

I'd also suggest employing the services of a decent plumber, rather than a builder, to fit a heating system. You shouldn't have TRV's in a room where a room stat is also fitted.

Original Poster

its a fairly new build house. Sorry if i said builders, i meant the tradesmen .. plumbers, heating engineers etc. i just dont get why they have out tvr's in every room either .

I think I've just been talking out of my backside as I've just checked hot water and it gets to around 58c which is damn hot. I think my heating is probably the same but the temp is monitored by my boiler so it doesn't go nuts. I would probably lower your TRVs to prevent the rads from getting so hot. Not sure what to do if you have exposed piping though

Might be worth turning the rads down in the rest of the house and keeping the temperature lower threshold higher so you don't have to heat the house so quickly.

My old house felt like a graveyard once you got down the stairs to around 2ft from the floor. Don't tend to feel the cold in the new house and my PC heats the room up really quickly in winter.

Original Poster

my house gets crazy hot and then you have to open the windows to cool it down which defeats the object lol. the rooms are small and the rads big. in three years i havent found the correct settings. my old heating felt like a graveyard too. so cold , the heating was rubbish. i had it all on full whack and the rads never got hot hot. the boiler valve used to stick so you'd have to fire up the heating to get the hot water to come on. Nightmare lol. Now its all new i dont know how to set it lol. it works and i feel spoilt! lol

Couple of points:

1 - at least one radiator should not have a TRV fitted - with all TRVs it is possible that they all go to the closed position and hence no flow possible at all on the system. Dead heading central heating pumps will reduce their life significantly. Standard practice is for the bathroom radiator to be the one without a TRV - and possibly fitted with two lockshield valves with non adjustable caps. Further as others have said there should not be a TRV in the room with the thermostat - as otherwise you have two control systems competing - simplest thing to do is open the TRV to the highest setting and allow the thermostat to control.

2 - as other have said setting the position of TRVs is a trial and error exercise. Set each valve at a mid way position and then when the system is on, on a cold day, adjust one at a time until you get the required temperature. This is not a precise science and you may find on particularly cold days you need to open up some of the valves!

Lower your room thermostat as this tells your boiler to fire or not to fire....anyway like someone said before why you got thermostat in each room with Trvs....don't sound right.

Original Poster

ok van. as i have two thermostats in my house, 1 for upstairs and one for downstairs both being in rooms with tvr's i'l make sure i keep these open on max . the bathroom one i keep open anyway. the other rooms then it'll be trial and error.
still not completely sure what temp to have the boiler at for heating . range is 30-80. i have it on 60 atm and the rads get very very hot. Don't ask why they put them like they did. i havent a clue lol
Edited by: "baileysqueen" 7th Sep 2017

Thermostats - if you have two stats then you probably have two zones (two isolation valves - one for upstairs and one downstairs ) - normally fitted only on larger houses. As you say, it will be wise to keep one TRV valve fully open in each zone.

Boiler temp - again it's a trial and error set up. I would be happy with something like 60°C but if too hot for you start with something like 45°C (I would not go any lower) and then when the system is warm and at equilibrium you find the radiator not warm enough then increase the temperature setting by 5°C, then repeat until you find the temperature that you can safely tolerate. You want it to be as hot as you can tolerate as the house will get to temperature sooner and be more efficient overall. Good luck!

Having the thermostat set at 21-24 is quite high, no wonder you are hot. Room temperature is generally accepted to be 20 degrees C.

My thermostat is set to 17 degrees, if you are too hot, then try reducing the thermostat, as from what you are saying it's too high and calling for heat when you are hot enough already.

Your central heating temp should be quite high. You might be hot now, but when the temperature outside has dropped 20 degrees if your radiators are only full of 40C warm water you'll be freezing. Radiators are supposed to be hot to touch!! (unless the room is already close to set temperature so the TRV will modulate the flow)

The only way to set TRV's is to put your heating on and keep the doors closed in the room you are trying to set. I would suggest a medium setting to start with in all rooms and go from there. It will take a few days to get the settings right but I personally wouldn't bother until you've got your heating on.

Not sure what you don't understand - I have a Drayton TRV4 in the living room. It doesn't matter what temp the thermostat says.
If a room is too hot then turn the TRV down to a lower number - you can't get any simpler than that.

I have a spare room I don't use, so only need it on a low number so that the room doesn't get too damp - I've turned that down via the TRV to 2.
My lounge is a massive room with only one rad so that is turned up to the max - 5.

Original Poster

Yes i do understand but because my rads are big and the rooms small the heat coming off them is overpowering. if the rads are off the rooms go cold quickly , if the rads are on the room gets too hot too quick. Which is why i needed to reduce the boiler temperature so they aren't kicking out quite so much heat. Using the trv's is ok but when the valve says the room is warm enough then the rads will go off which isn't what i want. I want to regulate the temperature in the room so it stays ambient and not keep switching on or off.

What I've done is what the other guys said. Lower the boiler to 45 and when the heating comes on and been on for a while see if its a nice temperature in each room. If its too cold try the boiler up 5 degrees at a time. If its too hot in some but fine in others use the trv's to lower the temperature.

Seemed like good advice.

My Gas is only £30 a month so I'm doing something right. Last year after installation i cranked up the radiator temperature on the boiler and later thought better of it, but i cant remember what the initial settings were so its going to be trial and error to get it how it was. Ugh!
Edited by: "baileysqueen" 9th Sep 2017

Your main problem as mentioned above is that you shouldn't have a TRV fitted in the same room as the thermostat.

Set the TVRs in the rooms with the central heating thermostats to max so they won't conflict with the thermostats, and adjust the thermostats so those rooms are at comfortable temperatures, then adjust the TVRs in the other rooms.

Get a radiator cover for the radiator in the kids room to stop them touching it.

If you want more control in a room, such as making the kids room a bit cooler when they are in bed, you can get electronic thermostatic control knobs that fit on existing TVR valves that use a little motor to operate the valve instead of the wax cylinder, although read reviews to make sure they are reliable and aren't noisy.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants