Radiator TRVs and Magna filter install Quote

Posted 18th Sep
Hi All,

I had a heating engineer around today to give me a quote potentially for a powerflush, 2 out of 14 radiators weren't getting hot enough, long story short he suggested that I dont really need a power flush , he suggested cleaning with some chemical, installing a filter and replacing the very old controls on the radiators with TRVs we counted about 12 that needed replacing out of 14 radiators and balancing the heating should do the trick.

He gave me the quote below for £550, is this reasonable enough , the property is located in Kent.

Drain system and change all radiator valves to trv and lock shield where required. (12 pairs).

Install adey magnaclean heating filter as agreed near boiler.

Flush system to clean with correct chemicals via use of magnaclean double head filter system.

Leave correct inhibitors in system and balance system correctly and do full thermal camera survey.

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
It might be a bit of a pain but getting three independent quotes isn't a bad idea, don't tell them about the other quotes though, if they all fall in line with each other you know your getting a true quote for your area
Edited by: "4Real2016" 18th Sep
Sounds not to bad I got a magna clean filter years ago and that was £500
If you clean the system with chemicals in situe then you risk any sludge that's dislodged traveling into the very small waterways of the plate HEX in your boiler, you'll have a bigger problem then.
Lets cost it up

Start gas pressure check - every good CH engineer should do this even if they are not touching the boiler. 5 mins so long as gas meter access good

(all timings are generous)

Attach hose, open valve, open bleed valves and drain system - 30 mins
change 12 TRVs and tails. 20 mins per set = 20*12= 240 mins
install magnaclean - 45 mins
Check gas pressure and remove kit - 5mins

Flush system, refill, fire up boiler and add X800 - 60 mins
Checks (before leaving running overnight) - 60 mins

Return next day, flush out cleaner, refill and balance - 3 hours

total 10hrs 25 mins.

A plumber + mate = £150pd. A good plumber inc a good plumbers mate = £200pd

Magnaclean £110
12 x TRVs @£9 = £108

Chemicals
Sentinel X800 1ltr x 2 = £34
Fernox MB1 4ltr = £34

Lets call it £686. Your quote isn't bad.

However, who knows what will happen if this is not a plumber you have personal recommendations of. The oogle boogle joint on the return transfixer may spring a costly leak. The dilithium crystals may need replacing.

Most likely problems;
> Very possibly; One or more rads is sludge blocked even after cleaning and needs replacing. It will be cold in the middle at the bottom. You can get a thermal spot sensor frm amazon for £15 amazon.co.uk/Ben…-39 to check how they warm up
> The cleaner shows up a problem with a rad or joint leak and something will need replacing.

Find a trustworthy plumber based on personal recommendation.

(Above timings are based on my having done a similar job on some of my radiators as an amateur this last summer in the hot weather. I have 2 Magnacleans in situ)
Edited by: "ccnp" 18th Sep
paulj4818/09/2019 18:38

If you clean the system with chemicals in situe then you risk any sludge …If you clean the system with chemicals in situe then you risk any sludge that's dislodged traveling into the very small waterways of the plate HEX in your boiler, you'll have a bigger problem then.

That's why you do it after fitting the magnaclean filter (removes all the sludge and particles before it gets to the boiler ) . Quote seems very good if it includes the magnaclean ,TRVs and chemicals as well as the labour .

A powerflush would be preferable but would probably add £300 to the quote .
Edited by: "rogparki" 18th Sep
Be wary. If you have pushfit plumbing, a powerclean can easily blow pushfit joints apart
Edited by: "ccnp" 18th Sep
Thank you so much for taking the times to respond, much appreciated. I got the guy the guy off the internet and although I straight up requested for a powerflush, but after he turned up, he suggested Powerflush might be required in extreme cases , after running the heating for about 10 minutes he said there seems to be good circulation except for the one Radiator that wasnt heating up properly, he said cleaning out with the chemical should do the trick plus he recommended the Trvs and Magna filter although I had intention of doing this before anyway and balancing as I might have messed up the flow and return valve while trying to figure out the original issue.

I also happen to have British Gas Homecare because I just moved into the property I wanted to use them for a year to make sure the boiler was good and in order etc and I have used them twice for boiler related repairs. But will no way use them for this this job.

I ll see if I can get another couple of quotes before I pull the trigger on one. Just for info the guys are here got them off Checkatrade.
deleted90213918/09/2019 18:51

That's why you do it after fitting the magnaclean filter (removes all the …That's why you do it after fitting the magnaclean filter (removes all the sludge and particles before it gets to the boiler ) .

You do realise that not all the sludge is ferrous.
Can you not get British Gas round to see if any part of the work is included under the cover? Alternatively, asking them for a quote.

Incidentally, why won't you use them?
If he's local, got a good rep and gives a good impression, go for it!
JimboParrot18/09/2019 19:49

Can you not get British Gas round to see if any part of the work is …Can you not get British Gas round to see if any part of the work is included under the cover? Alternatively, asking them for a quote.Incidentally, why won't you use them?

British would charge £340 alone for the magna filter install. I had a quote for some other bits it was outrageous
JimboParrot18/09/2019 19:49

Can you not get British Gas round to see if any part of the work is …Can you not get British Gas round to see if any part of the work is included under the cover? Alternatively, asking them for a quote.Incidentally, why won't you use them?

BG are unbelievably, incredibly, mindbogglingly expensive. They sub out work to contractors at profit margins in excess of 100%. They carry little stock so repairs are seldom same day. I rather suspect engineers have incentives in the same way parking wardens do
A chemical flush is useless compared to a properly done powerflush. If you're fitting a Magnaclean it takes an extra half hour to set up/remove the machine, but the results are light years apart.

The time he takes fannying around with a "full camera survey" could have been spent actually cleaning your system"

Also why's he flushing the system after fitting new valves, and why has he not giving you the brand names he's using.
themorgatron19/09/2019 09:22

A chemical flush is useless compared to a properly done powerflush. If …A chemical flush is useless compared to a properly done powerflush. If you're fitting a Magnaclean it takes an extra half hour to set up/remove the machine, but the results are light years apart.The time he takes fannying around with a "full camera survey" could have been spent actually cleaning your system"Also why's he flushing the system after fitting new valves, and why has he not giving you the brand names he's using.

I think he will fit the valves after the flushing. I will ask him for the TRV brand also.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants