Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Radiator turns itself off

Posted 16th Nov
Our living room radiator seems to shut itself off after a while when the other radiators are still heating. It has a TRV, which is turned to maximum.

I find that to get it started again, I have to turn the TRV off, then back on to full and also the boiler off and then back on.

Is there a problem with the TRV? It seems to be only this radiator in the house that is behaving strangely.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
20 Comments
They can stick you can unscrew the plastic cover off them and free up the little nipple thing with a coin or something. Clean it and Use wd40 it should be okay.
Is your house haunted
I had same problem. What i had to do was switch the hall radiator off in the hall. That is where the thermostat is so I think it may have something to do with that
When it does it the next time, take the head of the trv and see where the little steel pin is height wise, it should be 8-10mm sticking up, if it's not, there's your problem

In the short term, you can then turn down the lockshield on the other side to control the flow (if the room gets too hot)
Does it need bleeding to let the trapped air out?
I'm talking about the radiator and not your husband
already bleed the radiator. it was installed only a month ago but the TRV is just a year old. I will have a look at the TRV pin to see if it is stuck. i did see that video about removing the trv cover but as the radiator works fine for a few hours before it turns itself off, it doesn't seem to point to the pin being stuck as then it would not have worked at all rather than turn itself off after it had worked.
Scoot5616/11/2019 17:19

I had same problem. What i had to do was switch the hall radiator off in …I had same problem. What i had to do was switch the hall radiator off in the hall. That is where the thermostat is so I think it may have something to do with that

this would indicate that the boiler switches off because it thinks the house has reached the correct temperature but in my case, the boiler stays on and the other radiators in the house stay on, just this one in the living room, which is the biggest radiator in the house.
mutley116/11/2019 18:54

this would indicate that the boiler switches off because it thinks the …this would indicate that the boiler switches off because it thinks the house has reached the correct temperature but in my case, the boiler stays on and the other radiators in the house stay on, just this one in the living room, which is the biggest radiator in the house.

So did mine. Exactly same problem as I said I had to turn hall radiator off for my living room to stay on. I had that problem until Sunday don't know but for some reason I switched hall one off and surprisingly my living room came back on it's been fine since then
Scoot5616/11/2019 18:58

So did mine. Exactly same problem as I said I had to turn hall radiator …So did mine. Exactly same problem as I said I had to turn hall radiator off for my living room to stay on. I had that problem until Sunday don't know but for some reason I switched hall one off and surprisingly my living room came back on it's been fine since then

do you have to keep your hall radiator off or could you turn it back on again after that?
mutley116/11/2019 19:02

do you have to keep your hall radiator off or could you turn it back on …do you have to keep your hall radiator off or could you turn it back on again after that?

To be honest I haven't tried it. I'm not home tonight but I'll try tomorrow and I'll let you know
fearona16/11/2019 21:15

Have we been here …Have we been here before?https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/anyone-got-a-radiator-valve-and-wall-room-thermostat-in-the-same-room-3294670

Deja Vu
If the TRV is set to maximum there is absolutely no point in having it. However try swapping it with another one of your TRV's and that will tell you if it's the head unit or the pin on the valve
Do you use an additional way of heating the living room?

If so, the TRV is doing its job. It senses the living room has reached the required temperature so switches off the radiator.

If you do not have additional heating in the living room then investigate as per other suggestions
Scoot5616/11/2019 19:04

To be honest I haven't tried it. I'm not home tonight but I'll try …To be honest I haven't tried it. I'm not home tonight but I'll try tomorrow and I'll let you know

strangely enough, this seems to have some sort of effect as now the living room radiator gets really hot, whereas previously it never got extremely hot! i only turned the radiator in the hall off for about 5 minutes before I put it back on so it is on again now. so it seems to be that you don't need to keep that radiator off, just turn it off and then on again after a short break. so weird.
tardytortoise17/11/2019 09:45

Do you use an additional way of heating the living room? If so, the TRV …Do you use an additional way of heating the living room? If so, the TRV is doing its job. It senses the living room has reached the required temperature so switches off the radiator.If you do not have additional heating in the living room then investigate as per other suggestions

i looked up how a radiator valve works and it seems to regulate itself through either an expanding liquid or wax. i didn't know they had a thermometer inside them, i just thought they only turn the radiator valve!

there is a TV cupboard in front of the radiator and so the TRV is hidden away by the TV unit. i am thinking it doesn't sense the room temperature correctly as it is hidden away and so it gets very hot behind the TV cupboard and thinks the rest of room is very hot, and so turns the radiator valve off. i have therefore moved the cupboard a little bit so that the TRV is fully exposed to the room and so hopefully this will help solve the problem as it may now be able to detect the room temperature better.
mutley117/11/2019 11:35

strangely enough, this seems to have some sort of effect as now the living …strangely enough, this seems to have some sort of effect as now the living room radiator gets really hot, whereas previously it never got extremely hot! i only turned the radiator in the hall off for about 5 minutes before I put it back on so it is on again now. so it seems to be that you don't need to keep that radiator off, just turn it off and then on again after a short break. so weird.

Thank you I'll try it. Can't explain it
mutley117/11/2019 11:41

i looked up how a radiator valve works and it seems to regulate itself …i looked up how a radiator valve works and it seems to regulate itself through either an expanding liquid or wax. i didn't know they had a thermometer inside them, i just thought they only turn the radiator valve!there is a TV cupboard in front of the radiator and so the TRV is hidden away by the TV unit. i am thinking it doesn't sense the room temperature correctly as it is hidden away and so it gets very hot behind the TV cupboard and thinks the rest of room is very hot, and so turns the radiator valve off. i have therefore moved the cupboard a little bit so that the TRV is fully exposed to the room and so hopefully this will help solve the problem as it may now be able to detect the room temperature better.

You didn't know that a thermostatic radiator valve had a thermostat in them? Seriously?
chocci18/11/2019 04:24

You didn't know that a thermostatic radiator valve had a thermostat in …You didn't know that a thermostatic radiator valve had a thermostat in them? Seriously?

I’m more shocked you didn’t already know the answer to your questions
Que the Benny hill music
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants