Groups

radiator valve leaking

Hi

Radiator valve is leaking it's not your typical radiator it's a tall column type and the valve is a square block any help thanks in advance.

14 Comments

I had a leaky pipe and called out hotukdeals.com/dea…com

Just get the cheap option and wait 2 weeks

Get a plumber unless you have good diy skills. Touching it could make it worse.

Try nipping up the nut but dont overtighten it failing that call a plumber

is it a genuine old radiator or a modern " style " one?

search on google to see exactly what you have, then go to screwfix B&Q etc find the valve.

IF you want to replace it yourself, you need to drain the system down below the level of the valve, then replace, using ptfe tape or plumber mate.

If you have a combi-boiler you need to check pressure as well as any leak is likely to lead to significant drop in pressure.

Original Poster

Ok thanks it's a modern rad the valve will need replacing looks like I will need to drain the rad as the valves are right on the bottom

Is there much of a leak and could you put some old towels round it until the weather warms up and then either try tightening it yourself or call a friend/plummer then you won't be left cold if it does mess up.

If you do drain down to replace the olive which may have failed, shut all your rads off, that way your only draining the pipes and the leaky rad, also keeps 80% of you expensive inhibitor in your system, crack your drain off or leaky rad to release the pressure..

if your going to drain the radiator at the same time and replace your radiator valve i would consider adding a valve that has a drain off attached as this will make it easier in the future if any problems arise.
    also inhibitor isnt expensive, about a tenner for some X100 etc. more expensive if you dont put it back in but some good advice from mxer450 , make sure you shut off both valves of each radiator (usually clockwise)

Banned

bigweapon07

if your going to drain the radiator at the same time and replace your … if your going to drain the radiator at the same time and replace your radiator valve i would consider adding a valve that has a drain off attached as this will make it easier in the future if any problems arise.also inhibitor isnt expensive, about a tenner for some X100 etc. more expensive if you dont put it back in but some good advice from mxer450 , make sure you shut off both valves of each radiator (usually clockwise)

Whilst I agree with what you are saying. Unless the guy has a combi & is capable of isolating valves on the boiler or plugging a gravity system then he is going to have to drain the system to replace a rad valve. Something to be avoided in cold weather unless you know what you are doing.

Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 1st Mar

YouDontWantToKnow

Whilst I agree with what you are saying. Unless the guy has a combi & is … Whilst I agree with what you are saying. Unless the guy has a combi & is capable of isolating valves on the boiler or plugging a gravity system then he is going to have to drain the system to replace a rad valve. Something to be avoided in cold weather unless you know what you are doing.

Or if they are confident in using the rothenberger pipe freeze kit which i was amazed at when i used it to repair a leak and replace a small section with an isolation valve.

Is it leaking from a joint or leaking from the valve itself. Is the valve a thermostatic radiator valve. If its from any of those valves a good plumber will change the washer without the need to drain the system or use a freeze kit. He will only need a towel or small container to catch a bit of water. Had mine done a few months back took him less than 2 mins to do the job.

Original Poster

It's the actual valve itself when it's open it drips slowly but when I close it drips fast. Bought the valve from screwfix reading the reviews now a few had leaky valves it's the Milano screwfix.com/p/m…904
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Audi A4 2 Batteries and memory card issue35
      2. Are smart parking limited legitimate44
      3. Hard drive 'died'(?), what can I do? (for computer wizards please!)511
      4. Virgin Media - what is a good price?614

See more discussions