Radiators-which type/material/advice needed

Found 16th Feb
Hey everyone

wanted to get some advice from fellow hukers on here about what type of radiators are best to heat up quickly/retain heat etc.

I was going to go for some vertical ones but the Mrs is insisting she wants aluminium ones as apparently they are more efficient. from what ive read that's seems to be the case but ive not read anywhere on how long they retain the heat after the rads have been switched off.

any advice, especially from plumbers on things I should look for, be wary of etc.

many thanks
Community Updates
  1. Ask
  1. Ask
You may be looking in the wrong place and would be well advised to look at the thermal insulation qualities of the room before worrying about rad temp cycle. A room that cools quickly is the bigger worry. Modern cheap rads heat up and cool down quickly. Cast iron cools more slowly but the room will cool at an unrelated temperature. Heating the rads up will depend on boiler output anyway and the temp you choose to have the CH water set to.

Or put simply; get the cheap rads from Screwfix/Toolstation unless you want something fancy.
Edited by: "ccnp" 16th Feb
Aluminium is a good conductor of heat, so it'll warm up and cool down quickly. A poor conduction of heat like cast iron will stay warm for longer because the air isn't getting as much of it's heat.

Which are more appropriate will depend on factors like the temperature of your heating system, the size of your radiators, the size of the rooms, how long the house is heated for and so on.
Original Poster
Is it OK to mix and match different radiator types in a house? So in some rooms go for aluminium and other rooms cast iron?

I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea would be good to get some clarification. Thanks for the responses so far.
For typical domestic applications, it is not clear why there would be a preference for slow /delayed heat release of the heat that has cost £xx to shove into it. If I've paid say £10 to shove a number of kW of heat into a space over a period, I don't want any of that £10 being released into the space when I'm not there and would not benefit from it. If I had a pet with low tolerance to temperatures under xxC and the pet was in the property when I was not present for over a few hours, I would look at a single-room or restricted space solution that didn't involve unnecessarily heating unused rooms. Widening OP rad applications: for condensing boilers, also consider combining "fast response" radiators with chrono-proportional control not only to avoid wide temperature swings associated with traditional controllers but also to achieve up to 9% energy savings compared to traditional electronic controllers, and up to 10% compared to mechanical controllers - Danfoss make a big deal over their chrono-proportional controllers.
Post a comment

Top Discussions