Raise mattress height

Found 24th Jun
Hi.

Just got a new bed but the base is really low. There aren’t any suitable leg risers as the feet are rectangular shape. So I was thinking about putting 2 sheets of 25mm ply under the mattress to raise it 50mm or I thought about getting some polystyrene sheets to raise it aswell but was unsure if this would cause excessive heat or even create moisture problems. Any suggestions ?
Cheers
Community Updates
21 Comments
How about 2 mattresses, I have done this with my bed, also have me an excuse to get a memory foam mattress as the top one.
Like a above, get a memory foam topper
rayanfield8354 m ago

Like a above, get a memory foam topper

Iv just got a new simba mattress to go with it so need to just get the extra height really
marshy5149 m ago

Iv just got a new simba mattress to go with it so need to just get the …Iv just got a new simba mattress to go with it so need to just get the extra height really

A mattress topper does help.
Mine was not a topper but a full size memory foam mattress on top. If you already have a quality mattress then just get a cheap £60 mattress to go underneath it, that should give you the height you need.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 24th Jun
If the bed has rectangular shaped legs it should be easy enough to screw two wooden battens to the bottom of the legs to raise it, something like 50 - 60mm square should do it. Have you got a handy man at home or are you any good at diy?
jaketheplumber32 m ago

If the bed has rectangular shaped legs it should be easy enough to screw …If the bed has rectangular shaped legs it should be easy enough to screw two wooden battens to the bottom of the legs to raise it, something like 50 - 60mm square should do it. Have you got a handy man at home or are you any good at diy?

Yeah I could do that myself. They’re not a whole rectangle they wouldn’t be supported enough. I’m just after if anybody knows the effects of using polystyrene under the mattress. Ply I know will be ok just the polystyrene I’m unsure
Ply will be too hard - your base is meant to help the spring and support of the bed - also solid so no air to the mattress with potential damp issues in the mattress.

polystyrene will be bloody noisy.
Edited by: "mas99" 24th Jun
Whats the bed base? Divan bases the legs just screw on - you can get longer legs.
mas9914 m ago

Ply will be too hard - your base is meant to help the spring and support …Ply will be too hard - your base is meant to help the spring and support of the bed - also solid so no air to the mattress with potential damp issues in the mattress.polystyrene will be bloody noisy. [Video]

Haha
mas9913 m ago

Whats the bed base? Divan bases the legs just screw on - you can get …Whats the bed base? Divan bases the legs just screw on - you can get longer legs.

34129639-rEvtA.jpg
marshy5110 m ago

[Image]

OK - bit more complicated then.
I'd check to see how the legs are fixed on and how easy it would be to get something made up that looks good.
But tbh I think the suggestions above of putting in a memory foam topper (even if you put it under the mattress) would be the best bet.

btw - I quite like that
marshy5117 h, 35 m ago

Yeah I could do that myself. They’re not a whole rectangle they wouldn’t be …Yeah I could do that myself. They’re not a whole rectangle they wouldn’t be supported enough. I’m just after if anybody knows the effects of using polystyrene under the mattress. Ply I know will be ok just the polystyrene I’m unsure

Polystyrene Are you not concerned about fire safety then!
melted2 h, 37 m ago

Polystyrene Are you not concerned about fire safety then!

I don’t have any bonfires in my bedroom
how about either a sheet of kingspan under the mattress, or wooden blocks sprayed silver or chrome under your existing legs, kingspan is quite slippy tho
Edited by: "ding" 25th Jun
marshy5111 m ago

I don’t have any bonfires in my bedroom

Only takes a faulty charger, clock radio or damaged light cable. I've woken up to a fire in the bedroom next to mine and passed it to escape, the fumes take your breath away and the intensity of the heat shrivels the skin, even without a significant source of combustible, toxic fume producing polystereyene.
Edited by: "melted" 25th Jun
ding9 m ago

how about either a sheet of kingspan under the mattress, or wooden blocks …how about either a sheet of kingspan under the mattress, or wooden blocks sprayed silver or chrome under your existing legs, kingspan is quite slippy tho

Yeah I thought about celotex. Just wasn’t sure if it would make it hotter to sleep on in summer
melted41 s ago

Only takes a faulty charger, clock radio or damaged light cable. I've …Only takes a faulty charger, clock radio or damaged light cable. I've woken up to a fire in the bedroom next to mine and the fumes take your breath away and the intensity of the heat shrivels the skin, even without a significant source of combustible, toxic fume producing polystereyene.

Good point!
Anyway, here's a few suggestions depending on what the feet are made etc:

If the feet unscrew, then you could make some from a length of (preferably) hardwood, be sure to deeply countersink any screws or bolts through the bottom to stop them scratching the floor.

If they don't, then cut some rectangles of MDF to raise it up and either attach directly with screws or glue (providing the existing feet are not plastic or look like they might split). Or make a box to fit snugly round the leg with a 50mm thick base to give the height you want with a thin rectangular sleeve to slot over the existing leg out of ply or thin mdf sheet. Line it with cloth so it doesn't scratch the legs and on the outside as well, if your woodwork looks rough.

Alternatively, duct tape the rectangular mdf pads to the bottom of the feet, and make some sleeves out of cloth to make it look nice.
Edited by: "melted" 25th Jun
If you want the simba mattress on the top, could you get a thinner mattress and put it below the simba?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants