Raised flower beds ??

Found 2nd Apr
was looking around for some sleepers to make a raised flower bed and they are so expensive!!!

I have some old bedroom doors laying around in the house, is there any reason why I couldn't just Saw them up and nail them together to make one?

would I need to do anything special if I went down this route?
Community Updates
AskBedFlowers
10 Comments
They are thinner and will rot more quickly. I have used modern sleepers (1.2mx2.4m, 120mm x 80mm) and thye work fine
ccnp8 m ago

They are thinner and will rot more quickly. I have used modern sleepers …They are thinner and will rot more quickly. I have used modern sleepers (1.2mx2.4m, 120mm x 80mm) and thye work fine

Any good places to buy them from on the cheap ? Guess if need them delivered to as they wouldn't fit in the car
How about old scaffolding boards? Get them cheap enough, easy to cut up (Much easier than trying to cut a sleeper to length) , decent depth too.
And unless you are going the 'pyramids of Giza' route they are strong enough too.
Bradford’s is normally good and they often do sales on them. Delivery is cheaper than many other companies. Bought a load of them to do my raised vegetable garden.

bradfords.co.uk/sof…015
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 2nd Apr
Look on gumtree in your area. Someone was selling them for £1.50 a board in my area. Worth a look
We moved recently previous owners left three raised beds. Not 100% sure what they are made of but it looks to be decking boards then painted. look really nice also very sturdy. As long as they are treated and lined should be fine.
Have a look at estate sawmills,
33561561-qMzdG.jpgestatesawmills.com

Even if you're nowhere near them, it gives you a good idea of prices to shop around for.
(I would be going down the used scaffold board route though)
Wood pallets are usually easy to get hold of. Easy to make up and look quite good
mrty4 h, 0 m ago

How about old scaffolding boards? Get them cheap enough, easy to cut up …How about old scaffolding boards? Get them cheap enough, easy to cut up (Much easier than trying to cut a sleeper to length) , decent depth too. And unless you are going the 'pyramids of Giza' route they are strong enough too.

^This. Only hassle is getting the metal bits off the ends.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants