Raised sleeper beds

Posted 27th Apr
hi does anyone have raised sleeper beds in their garden? curious what width they are. A local business has quoted for a bed 0.4 metres deep which seems quite shallow. only really one plant deep so to speak. Needless to say the missus has reacted so I'm trying to get her down off the ceiling LOL
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
Make your own it will be cheaper and you can take a bit of pride at making something
I'm not physically able to make my own unfortunately but it's a nice idea. Guess they need some kind of foundation too which is beyond me
No they don’t need a foundation as long as they are level that should be enough
Ok so I'm guessing a few sleepers cut to length and some very long bolts or am I missing something?
Literally done mine this weekend, my sleepers were 200mm x 100mm sunk 75mm in the ground. I laid them on a bed of mortar 6 to 1 ratio, you dont have to but it helps prevent rot and pooling at the bottom
1983gaz27/04/2020 20:19

Literally done mine this weekend, my sleepers were 200mm x 100mm sunk 75mm …Literally done mine this weekend, my sleepers were 200mm x 100mm sunk 75mm in the ground. I laid them on a bed of mortar 6 to 1 ratio, you dont have to but it helps prevent rot and pooling at the bottom

Nice, got any pics of your handiwork?
Hammerheads2927/04/2020 20:21

Nice, got any pics of your handiwork?

40558232-ayvEU.jpg40558232-RnJ36.jpg40558232-20Hha.jpgNot got much planted but this is it, the widest part I went for 1.1m n the shortest width is 550mm
I got creative , dug up a raised patio and thought how can I get rid of the flags ?

Not finished yet but looks ok to me and its free .
Waiting to line the inside wall with a liner and top soil then flatten the top .i out it in bed of compressed gravel and mortar on the stones

40558477.jpg
Edited by: "ashmac" 27th Apr
1983gaz27/04/2020 20:51

[Image] [Image] [Image] Not got much planted but this is it, the widest …[Image] [Image] [Image] Not got much planted but this is it, the widest part I went for 1.1m n the shortest width is 550mm

Nice. Need mine a bit higher because of the dogs but I like what you've done there! How much did you pay for sleepers and the hardware to join them together?
ashmac27/04/2020 21:12

I got creative , dug up a raised patio and thought how can I get rid of …I got creative , dug up a raised patio and thought how can I get rid of the flags ? Not finished yet but looks ok to me and its free Waiting to line the inside with a liner and top soil then flatten the top [Image]

Nice work, some good dry stone walling techniques going on there mate. Looks good. Are you going to grow vegetables there?
Hammerheads2927/04/2020 21:15

Nice work, some good dry stone walling techniques going on there mate. …Nice work, some good dry stone walling techniques going on there mate. Looks good. Are you going to grow vegetables there?

I’m unsure yet , I was going to buy sleepers and get a skip for the stones but I come up with this idea , saved money recycled and was enjoyable doing it .
Hammerheads2927/04/2020 21:14

Nice. Need mine a bit higher because of the dogs but I like what you've …Nice. Need mine a bit higher because of the dogs but I like what you've done there! How much did you pay for sleepers and the hardware to join them together?

I got 6 sleepers at 2.4m for £115 with delivery, think they were around £16 each, just used the sand n cement to bed them in (50mm worth) and they're solid. If your going higher you'll need to fix them together with either straps or dowls
could order your own material and ask a gardener or similar tradesman to just provide the labour. sleepers are expensive. I looked at doing this last year. after checking timber merchants and pricing up i decided the best materials to use were either decking boards(cheaper) or scaffold boards. 0.4 is much shallower than i was going to go, i was thinking a bit less than a metre high. i was going to line the sides with plastic sheeting or something to prevent the wood rotting.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions