RAM frequency help

Found 23rd Jun
I've recently bought some new RAM, I have Corsair 32GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000mhz Memory (4x8gb Sticks)
When looking at system settings it shows my RAM is set to 2133 mhz, a quick Google shows i can change this via the bios but is this the right way ?

I'm not looking to overclock anything, I just want my RAM to run at the frequency it supports.
Community Updates
AskComputersGaming PC
6 Comments
You need to check what max speed RAM your mobo supports ... likely 2133 in this instance. If so, you'd have to OC to get it any faster.
I've set it to 3000mhz via the bios, I'm just not sure if this is required or have I overclocked it ?
Previously on older systems RAM just worked, I've never had to mess with the bios to get the supported speeds
If your MoBo can support the higher speeds, check that the XMP memory profile has been enabled.
It's easiest to find this setting in the Quick settings of the MoBo (i.e. not the Advanced settings). On the left hand side of the screen.
It was changing the profile in XMP that gave the extra speeds, so does that means that's the right way and it's not overclocking it ?
_-Richie-_23rd Jun

It was changing the profile in XMP that gave the extra speeds, so does …It was changing the profile in XMP that gave the extra speeds, so does that means that's the right way and it's not overclocking it ?

Using XMP is still OC'ing it, but n a 'pre-defined' way. Not that it will always work - You may need to wait for newer BIOS firmware before it works with your memory.
With memory rated for DDR4-3000 the restriction on not over-clocking is going to be on the CPU memory controller's supported speed rather than the memory stocks.

No CPU on the market has a memory controller that'll run at DDR4-3000 without overclocking. The 2000 series Ryzen chips get the closest being rated for DDR4-2933. The 1000 series and Intel's 7000 series are rated for DDR4-2400 while Intel's 8000 series is rated for DDR4-2666.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants