Groups

Ram Prices and deals

I'm starting my 6 yearly upgrade from a 2500k.

Looking at DDR4 Prices and there insane. looking at £120 for 16gb of ram and roughly £99 on eBay for speeds of 2400mhz which isn't a great jump from DDR3.

what is the cause of such prices? and are they expected to stay the same? I begrudge paying £100 for ram when both DDR3/4 where £60 for 16gb 6months ago.

cheers Dingo

9 Comments

Been that way for a while now, shortage of it and also collusion, apparently. Just gotta suck it up lad.

I upgraded 3 months ago and got some lovely Corsair 3200mhz was £125 for 2x 8
    Edited by: "ritchiedrama" 12th Jun

Brexit, greed, supply and demand, limited availability, cartel, etc.
    Take your pick.
    Edited by: "Oneday77" 12th Jun

Would a 4790born4690k not be an option? More than capable and u get to keep ur ram

Original Poster

would require a new mobo sadly. I'm limited upto a 3rd Gen with my Gigabyte Z77-DS3H

Why not get a i7 2600k or 2700k it would still be an upgrade and only around £120 uk.webuy.com/pro…00K

Give it another couple of years, your current CPU is still sufficient for most uses.

emodan

Why not get a i7 2600k or 2700k it would still be an upgrade and only … Why not get a i7 2600k or 2700k it would still be an upgrade and only around £120 https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SCPUINTI72700K#.WT-M_JArIuU

Because it'd only amount to a ~5% gain.

Original Poster

I won't be investing in my socket any more, think I've reached the peak of its potential and overclocking. It's worth noting i use my system for photoshop, premiere pro and cubase on occasions so it's worth investing in the multithreads

pritchdingo

I won't be investing in my socket any more, think I've reached the peak … I won't be investing in my socket any more, think I've reached the peak of its potential and overclocking. It's worth noting i use my system for photoshop, premiere pro and cubase on occasions so it's worth investing in the multithreads

Well an i7 2600k would be an improvement, not as small as 5% either like the other user suggested, but yeah by now it's time to upgrade properly to Ryzen or the new intel line/7700K or something.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Best graphics card between £100-£15011
      2. Upgrading qacoustic speaker setup35
      3. Need Some Help Connecting An Old Laptop To A New TV23
      4. buy to let mortgage44

See more discussions