Found 17th Nov 2008
Im gonna sell some RAM from my old laptop, which broke :(, got 2 questions :
1) Coiuld it have been the RAM that caused it too break
2) will the RAM have any of my credit card details or anything (information wise) at all that like?

1. Misc
  2. RAM
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. RAM
18 Comments

Original Poster

Okay so will I have to sell the RAM as faulty?

The RAM could be the only broken thing or the cause.

RAM only stores data when it has power - the second it is removed it is blank

spikeyjacko;3488771

Okay so will I have to sell the RAM as faulty?

My advice, if the computer powers up to a BIOS POST screen is to run a bootable diagnostic CD - like memtest86 to test it - that will be a pretty good idea if it has anything wrong. If not contact your local friendly geek

[url]www.memtest86.com[/url]

Original Poster

So definately no details or anything like that?
Ok well the laptop worked but would flash (the screen) and then restart
I dont think it will turn on at all now!
Btw repped ;-)

[email protected];3488778

RAM only stores data when it has power - the second it is removed it is … RAM only stores data when it has power - the second it is removed it is blank

I know people who'd disagree :whistling:. It's of no relevance to the OP though because by now it will be.

Original Poster

What you mean lol?

It's been proven that you can take a RAM stick from one laptop and place it in another and still be able to read the data contained within (the window of opportunity only lasts a few minutes).

Only of concern if you work for the CIA / MI6 :thumbsup:.

Original Poster

Lmao!
So no worries then?

abomination;3488812

I know people who'd disagree :whistling:. It's of no relevance to the OP … I know people who'd disagree :whistling:. It's of no relevance to the OP though because by now it will be.

Completely agree - it's been shown to work but only at hacking conventions and things Fellow techy I presume?

spikeyjacko;3488793

So definately no details or anything like that?Ok well the laptop worked … So definately no details or anything like that?Ok well the laptop worked but would flash (the screen) and then restartI dont think it will turn on at all now!Btw repped ;-)

If you can get it to turn on then try burning memtest86 to a CD and booting from that drive. If it would start then die it really could be the memory (or hard drive/motherboard/PSU!) If not then I'm sure someone locally can test it. I'm happy to if you send it to me :thumbsup:

abomination;3489003

Only of concern if you work for the CIA / MI6 :thumbsup:.

Or they'd really, REALLY like you to be working for them!

see hackaday.com :whistling:

Poor Ram . Thought it was illegal to sell those kind of animals online :whistling:

Original Poster

Yeah but tbh Ive become more of a EWE guy, and btw i tried booting it I choose XP it doesnt get to loading screen just restarts and then ACER, choose XP, restarts etc loop

spikeyjacko;3491546

Yeah but tbh Ive become more of a EWE guy, and btw i tried booting it I … Yeah but tbh Ive become more of a EWE guy, and btw i tried booting it I choose XP it doesnt get to loading screen just restarts and then ACER, choose XP, restarts etc loop

A bootlooping computer? Normally you could just reinstall Windows using the CD. Doesn't sound too broken to me but it really could be the memory.

If it's too much for you how much do you want for everything?

Original Poster

Well Im keeping the HDD, so not really looking to sell the laptop, but it reset alot before hand but now it wont even boot as I said..

Try cleaning the fans with compressed air, they could just be covered in dust preventing the CPU from cooling down. Either that or the PSU is duff.

Original Poster

Ive cleaned the fan already.. nothing
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition57597
    2. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers11
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums33
    4. Win a Mama to Bee necklace from Blooming Lovely Jewellery, worth £249! @ Ne…33

See more discussions