Groups
    EXPIRED

Ram upgrade and windows 7 for Acer revo?

Hi,

I have an acer revo I bought back in February. However due to being so busy with other stuff I just haven't got round to setting it up properly as a media server. I plan to run flash stuff like 4OD, BBC iplayer through it etc. However I have come to realise that it may not be up to this as it just has a single core. I imagine running it using a network cable instead of over wifi will help. The description is below.

"Acer Aspire Revo R3600 Desktop PC, Atom 230 1.6GHz, 160GB HDD, 1 GB RAM, HDMI, nVidia GeForce 9400 ION, WIFI"

I am a student and plan to get a windows 7 upgrade for £30 but am not sure whether it would be best to get the 64 bit version rather than the 32bit to take full advantage of the ion cpu?

Lastly how much of a ram upgrade do you think I'll need?

Many thanks!

3 Comments

Original Poster

Sorry I meant the atom. I'm not so sure it's not 64 capable though.
    linuxquestions.org/que…93/
    sevenforums.com/gen…tml

From wiki:

"x86-64 is so far only activated for the Atom 230 and 330 desktop models. N and Z series Atom models cannot run x86-64 code"
    Edited by: "sotomonkey" 14th Aug 2010

dcx_badass

First of all Ion is the GPU (graphics card) and NOT the CPU … First of all Ion is the GPU (graphics card) and NOT the CPU (processor).Secondly the Atom 230, is not 64bit capable (only some of the newer dual core atoms are), so the 64bit version wouldn't work on it.

You are so quick to ridicule people it's disgusting. You need to learn some humility.

Original Poster

Come on guys, no harm done badass. And kidblast you should be called niceass judging by your pic.:-)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64533
      2. Tv choice magazine Issue 391414
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1133
      4. Win A Galaxy Note 8 With Caseology & AndroidHeadlines *** ENDS TODAY ***22

See more discussions