Groups

RAM upgrade for a Dell Dimension E520

I've got a Dell Dimension E520 and already have 2gb RAM installed. I've looked at RAM from Crucial and the compatible RAM is DDR2 PC2-5300. Is this the best RAM upgrade I can get or is there better stuff out there?

12 Comments

Original Poster

Below is a link to the RAM from Crucial.
    crucial.com/uk/…520

Crucial RAM is probably one of the best pound for pound - you need to make sure your OS can support the extra RAM however, as XP will only take 3gb afaik.

Original Poster

I've got Vista (32) and I know that it will only recognize about 3.4gb, but I'd like to if this is this the fastest RAM I can put in? Thanks.

Crucial also have 1st class customer service

The RAM you put in must run at the same speed of the RAM that's already in the pc - you can't run two different speeds of RAM. If that's what Crucial recommend - I'd get it.

Original Poster

davycrocket;5109693

Crucial also have 1st class customer service

Agreed! Very fast dispatch too.

Original Poster

Ahh, so that's why they recommend the RAM they do. If I were to install 4 sticks of the same, but faster RAM, would that work?

Original Poster

And if so, any suggestions for a faster RAM upgrade?

windhoek;5109715

Ahh, so that's why they recommend the RAM they do. If I were to install 4 … Ahh, so that's why they recommend the RAM they do. If I were to install 4 sticks of the same, but faster RAM, would that work?

Most machines that take the PC2-5300 RAM will also take the PC2-6400 (haven't checked yours though). It is faster, but will only give you a relatively small boost which depends on a host of factors, including the make of the RAM. And as pointed out above, if you mix the two, your machine will run at the slowest speed.

Original Poster

Thanks and rep to all. :thumbsup:

windhoek;5109715

Ahh, so that's why they recommend the RAM they do. If I were to install 4 … Ahh, so that's why they recommend the RAM they do. If I were to install 4 sticks of the same, but faster RAM, would that work?

Possibly depending on the motherboard.

Most people will see very little difference with faster ram though, so unless you've got a specific application you know depends heavily on ram speed then just buy whatever's cheapest.

windhoek;5109718

And if so, any suggestions for a faster RAM upgrade?

You wouldn't notice the difference mate - just add more in.:thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846174
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764227
      3. What do these 2 men have in common1221
      4. Find out how good your GP surgery is56

See more discussions