RAM Upgrade On ASUS 1011PX Netbook?

Found 22nd Dec 2011
I just bought this netbook from Currys, and an additional 2GB RAM from Crucial.

I'm looking for information on how to do the actual upgrade and was wondering who might have done it before is able to help at all?

I've looked for videos and tutorials but Google just seems to list places where I can buy RAM. The video I did find says to open the little memory compartment on the bottom side of the netbook, which I've done. but then the next step says to press the tab on the sides which makes the RAM popout - the issue I have is that there are no tabs! In the memory compartment all I can see is the bottom side of the motherboard.

Am I missing something really obvious here? Have I received a crippled version of the netbook from Currys? Are only American models upgradeable?

Chances are I'm just being a total numpty, but any help would be greatly appreciated regardless.

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
MiscASUSLaptopRAM
29 Comments
Very odd - have you checked out this video OP? The model should be the same for the international market.

ASUS Eee PC 1011PX memory1GB→2GB - YouTube

Just to clarify something here have you actually powered it on since you've purchased it? Just want to make sure because if you haven't then maybe your netbook didn't come with a memory DIMM and if that's the case, then that's just mad! lol
Hmm does sound strange. From what i've gathered from a quick google it should just be under the memory compartment, under the laptop. Failing that netbooks can often put a ram slot under the keyboard, but i don't think this is the case with yours.

It should look something like: http://photos.expertreviews.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_Expert_Reviews/dir_264/er_photo_132145_52.jpg

All you should need to do is unclip the metal bits at the side (push away from the ram module) and pop the new memory in.
Can you take a photo of the underside, with all the covers removed.

Crucial tutorial video
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 22nd Dec 2011
Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments.
The video in the first post is the one I was looking at before, but the underside of the Netbook definitely doesn't have the RAM on the bottom:
http://i.imgur.com/ciUkk.jpg
images here
Oh dear, looks like you are out of luck. If you feel adventurous you could remove the keyboard/top case from the computer and see if there is a memory slot under there somewhere. >> link <<

Take the computer back for a refund and tell them to stop selling such rubbish.

Edited by: "SUMMONER" 23rd Dec 2011
Original Poster
Ah bummer. I'll arrange a return and see if something else comes up in the Christmas sales
Thanks for all the help
Well the spec here suggests 'Memory DDR3, 1 x On Board Memory, 1GB/2GB' that it just has memory onboard. Download CPU-Z and click on the SPD tab to see what it identify's.
Original Poster
GAVINLEWISHUKD

Well the spec here suggests 'Memory DDR3, 1 x On Board Memory, 1GB/2GB' … Well the spec here suggests 'Memory DDR3, 1 x On Board Memory, 1GB/2GB' that it just has memory onboard. Download CPU-Z and click on the SPD tab to see what it identify's.

Just checked and it's definitely 1GB.
Wouldn't have bought if I'd known that it's onboard but I'll see if they accept my return since I've only had it 3 days
Edited by: "MrBrightside1987" 23rd Dec 2011
MrBrightside1987

Just checked and it's definitely 1GB.Wouldn't have bought if I'd known … Just checked and it's definitely 1GB.Wouldn't have bought if I'd known that it's onboard but I'll see if they accept my return since I've only had it 3 days

So CPU-Z only has one slot on the drop down menu?
Original Poster
Ah sorry, I thought you were asking me to check if it had 2GB instead of 1GB because of the 1GB/2GB spec.

Under Memory it comes up as 1016MB DDR2 Single Channel, no dropdown.
SPD has Memory Slot Selection dropdown with options of Slot #1 and Slot #2, but both are greyed out with no details
Edited by: "MrBrightside1987" 23rd Dec 2011
Yes looks like it has only embedded memory and no slots (like the macbook air).

The strange thing is it's listed as DDR3 on the Asus site yet you report DDR2. What does it list as DRAM frequency?
Original Poster
Yeah that's what I thought. Must be different variations of it, otherwise I guess people wouldn't be selling RAM for it (Crucial website specifically stated 1011PX compatibility) and I'd had a read before about people upgrading the RAM, not to mention people in the above videos showing themselves upgrading it

Anyway, here's the screenshot from CPU-Z Memory screen
http://i.imgur.com/W8CxB.jpg
MrBrightside1987

Yeah that's what I thought. Must be different variations of it, … Yeah that's what I thought. Must be different variations of it, otherwise I guess people wouldn't be selling RAM for it (Crucial website specifically stated 1011PX compatibility) and I'd had a read before about people upgrading the RAM, not to mention people in the above videos showing themselves upgrading itAnyway, here's the screenshot from CPU-Z Memory screen

Yes looks like it's DDR2 PC2-6400 looking at the other info.

It's all a bit of a poor show. If it only has embedded then they should have 2gb of ram (but then you have licensing issues with windows 7 starter) or 1gb and a slot.
Original Poster
Yup, makes no sense why they decided to cripple it by doing it this way.
I thought the starter edition of Windows 7 supports 2GB max, non?

Hopefully I should be able to send it back without issues, there's no marks or anything on it.
Bit of a shame really as I really quite like using it, fits in my bag perfectly and is a decent size to rest on my lap and do some story writing on the train.

I'll return this to store tomorrow and perhaps go for one of the 11" HP Pavilions for a bit more money instead so I can do some web dev more comfortably on it too.

Thanks for all the help, really appreciated
MrBrightside1987

Yup, makes no sense why they decided to cripple it by doing it this way.I … Yup, makes no sense why they decided to cripple it by doing it this way.I thought the starter edition of Windows 7 supports 2GB max, non?Hopefully I should be able to send it back without issues, there's no marks or anything on it.Bit of a shame really as I really quite like using it, fits in my bag perfectly and is a decent size to rest on my lap and do some story writing on the train.I'll return this to store tomorrow and perhaps go for one of the 11" HP Pavilions for a bit more money instead so I can do some web dev more comfortably on it too.Thanks for all the help, really appreciated

Good luck tomorrow instore OP and stick to your guns if they give you any hassle - I must admit I've found this one to be a complete surprise, as I've only seen a handful of laptops and netbooks (older models as well) with integrated memory only on them.

Fingers crossed your replacement won't be the same.
Ive brought the same model, its wrapped up under the tree. I will not be happy if its integrated memory will be taking it straight back.
Yeah i've the same problem.
But the bonus is i have 1024x768 resolution
Original Poster
docster121

Yeah i've the same problem.But the bonus is i have 1024x768 resolution

Can you use it at 768 though? I can set mine to 1024x768 but it looks really distorted as the aspect ratio is messed up for that screensize. Optimal for me is 1024x600

I was supposed to take this back but I realised I've left the box for it at work so can't until next Tuesday.
Switching between the two it does look a little more stretched, but as it adds an extra inch to a webpage so its the preferred setting for me.

Also not sure if ill take mine back atm as its running very fast on the 1gb ram

Just found if you go into - graphic options/ panel fit/ ( then click) matain aspect ratio. 1024 x 768 looks great with no distortion
Edited by: "docster121" 26th Dec 2011
I have purchased an ASUS 1011PX from PC WORLD on 29/12/2011 and was assured by salesman that it could be upgraded to 2GB RAM . I have encountered the same problem no memory slot and will be returning the machine on 02/01/2012
Original Poster
docster121

Just found if you go into - graphic options/ panel fit/ ( then click) … Just found if you go into - graphic options/ panel fit/ ( then click) matain aspect ratio. 1024 x 768 looks great with no distortion

I tried that but mine still stretches, so I've had to revert back.

bobnataliedo

I have purchased an ASUS 1011PX from PC WORLD on 29/12/2011 and was … I have purchased an ASUS 1011PX from PC WORLD on 29/12/2011 and was assured by salesman that it could be upgraded to 2GB RAM . I have encountered the same problem no memory slot and will be returning the machine on 02/01/2012

If you're taking it back sure you haven't plugged it in. Apparently if you plug it in then it counts as being "accepted" by you and they won't take it back.

I'm stuck with mine for now. It's great for browsing which is what I mostly do. I'll see how it goes, otherwise will sell off on here and just get one with 2GB or more
Edited by: "MrBrightside1987" 1st Jan 2011
Hi,
Same pb for me.
i ask the question to the asus support to change ram. I'm waiting the answer
system tools tell me that this 1011px support 4Go RAM and it have 2 slots.
i want to open it to see inside but my girl friend will not appreciate if i give it broken...
i will post again with the support answer.
same pb for me.
Impossible to upgrade this version of netbook (asus sav answer)
this netbook is sale in two version: 1Go or 2 Go
I have the first , i keep it (my girl friend is happy with it)

asus answer in french:
Au sujet de votre message concernant le remplacement de la barrette de memoire, je vous informe que pour votre modèle d'ordinateur, 1011PX, vous vous ne pouvez pas remplacer la barrette de mémoire.
Il s’agit de deux configurations d’usine, soit avec 1 Go de mémoire vive soit avec 2 Go de mémoire vive. Dans les spécifications officielles de votre produit c’est marqué : ’’ DDR3, 1 Go, 1 x mémoire embarquée 1Go/2Go’’.

Pour un plus d’information, veuillez consulter le lien :
fr.asus.com/Eee…PX/
It has a max memory of 2Gb, which means you have to take out the 1Gb module underneath and replace it with the 2Gb
Original Poster
The one I have is 1GB and can't be upgraded
I took it to a computer shop and had someone open it all up in case the module was installed under the keyboard, and it turned out that it's not. There's 1GB onboard memory and there's no way to upgrade.
Well, I had bad luck because I bought the whide 1011PX which hs the problem with th on board RAM while the black 1011PX in the same shop had NO on board RAM but the expected RAM slot to upgrade to 2 GB.

This definitely will be my last ASUS as it is unacceptale to sell same model with different configuratio ... and to not give even a hint on the box. They should stop selling such crap.
Same problem and I am absolutely furious, bought mine from Currys but this is exactly the same outfit as PC- World. I also will be attempting to return the product.
Small fine print in the spec page. asus.com/Eee…PX/

Note *1 : The memory is fixed on the motherboard and there is no SO-DIMM on the motherboard. The On Board Memory is unable to be removed or replaced for extending.

I guess the video that was posted was referring to an older version of the 1011px where there was still a memory slot.
Hi all,

I Have the 1011px with the removable memory, which I replaced 1GB with a 2GB. When I tried to turn the laptop back on the power and wireless lights were both illuminated but the screen remained completely blank. I tried holding down the power button, pressing F2 just after the power button was pressed and searched for a reset button that doesnt seem to exist (although the Asus website seemed to suggest it did!!). As nothing worked I tried to re-fit the original 1GB but the laptop will still not power up. I am a bit of a novice but was assured that this would be a simple upgrade and it has completely disabled my netbook. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.[/b]
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants