Groups

Random Question - At what amount does can something be described as "mass"?

single = 1
    couple = 2

is there a number that dictates whether something is "a few" or "on mass"

whats your perspective on it?

36 Comments

I always say "a few" is more than 3, dunno why though

is on mass not just the majority?

Do you mean En Masse ?

Anything heavier than a 'Miss'

Original Poster

fireheaven;4951601

I always say "a few" is more than 3, dunno why though

yeah I do that too, but "mass" is the one i'm really struggling with

[COLOR="White"](disclaimer - this is no-way linked to the banning of acecatcher3 who we all know, love and takes it up the sh1tter on a regular basis) [/COLOR]

Original Poster

deb8z;4951614

Do you mean En Masse ?

yeah but less french

Banned

dimensionless quantity

- an ill-structured collection of similar things (objects or people)

- a body of matter without definite shape; "a huge ice mass"

- multitude: the common people generally; "separate the warriors from the mass"; "power to the people"

- bulk: the property of something that is great in magnitude; "it is cheaper to buy it in bulk"; "he received a mass of correspondence"; "the volume of exports"

- join together into a mass or collect or form a mass; "Crowds were massing outside the palace"

- aggregate: formed of separate units gathered into a mass or whole; "aggregate expenses include expenses of all divisions combined for the entire ...

Original Poster

i want your individual take on the term, not a copying from wiki

I think of en masse as being everyone there - all those present, but clearly there would have to be more than a few!!:)

Lol - on a regular basis or "a few" times

I would say mass would be a 100 or more then, but hey what do I know, dumb blonde and all that

MinstrelMan;4951642

Random Question - At what amount does can something be described as … Random Question - At what amount does can something be described as "mass"?

When the Catholic church accepts it as a religious service?

For me a mass is the muppets that seem to be in Asda when i go shopping i.e A mass of muppets

Original Poster

mikebike;4951810

For me a mass is the muppets that seem to be in Asda when i go shopping … For me a mass is the muppets that seem to be in Asda when i go shopping i.e A mass of muppets

theres a shiney £20 note here for you mike if you can get the word "mass" offically recognised as the collective term for muppets :thumbsup:

I thought that "mong" was the collective term for muppets?

MinstrelMan;4951830

theres a shiney £20 note here for you mike if you can get the word "mass" … theres a shiney £20 note here for you mike if you can get the word "mass" offically recognised as the collective term for muppets :thumbsup:

Lol I will shout it from the customer service desk mic when I am in this evening and ask the muppets to form into a group therfore I think the grouping of chav's and tracksuit wearing people will be called a Mass of Muppets.

MinstrelMan;4951830

theres a shiney £20 note here for you mike if you can get the word "mass" … theres a shiney £20 note here for you mike if you can get the word "mass" offically recognised as the collective term for muppets :thumbsup:

Do you know that's how the word 'quiz' came about? A bet in a pub, one chap bet the other he could have a whole city using a nonsense word. Of course, the gambler happened to be the owner of a popular theatre..

A number which can't be grasped instantly from just looking at the items
    If you throw some peanuts on a table you could grasp that there were 1,2,3,4 or 5 without individually counting the items. Anything above that eg people slaughtered, would be mass.

7+ is a few
    13+ is quite a lot
    27 or 28+ is a lot
    44+ is a mass (or the meaning of life!!)

Mass, few, and words like them, I always interpret to be relative to the usual. Like, I'd consider 100 people to be a mass if they all crowded into and along the road outside Greg's for a roll at lunchtime. I'd consider the same 100 people to be just a few, if it was just them that turned up to an anti-war protest, or osmething.

biomehanik;4951894

A number which can't be grasped instantly from just looking at the … A number which can't be grasped instantly from just looking at the itemsIf you throw some peanuts on a table you could grasp that there were 1,2,3,4 or 5 without individually counting the items. Anything above that eg people slaughtered, would be mass.

I'm not too sure about that. Would 100 hysterical people in a crowd of 1,000,000 be counted as mass hysteria?

Original Poster

Spod;4951858

I thought that "mong" was the collective term for muppets?

I was always under the assumption mong was singular

mikebike;4951878

Lol I will shout it from the customer service desk mic when I am in this … Lol I will shout it from the customer service desk mic when I am in this evening and ask the muppets to form into a group therfore I think the grouping of chav's and tracksuit wearing people will be called a Mass of Muppets.

lol theres another £20 if you do that

MinstrelMan;4951685

i want your individual take on the term, not a copying from wiki

twasn't wiki, twas google definitions

and the point was that there is no 'individual take' on meaning - it is used differently in different contexts. I deleted the definitions that didn't fit my personal useage and kept the ones that did. Before you can get an answer you'll find acceptable, I suggest you need to ask a well-defined question... :whistling:

Original Poster

Liddle ol' me;4952325

twasn't wiki, twas google definitionsand the point was that there is no … twasn't wiki, twas google definitionsand the point was that there is no 'individual take' on meaning - it is used differently in different contexts. I deleted the definitions that didn't fit my personal useage and kept the ones that did. Before you can get an answer you'll find acceptable, I suggest you need to ask a well-defined question... :whistling:

firstly calm down.

i'm not after an acceptable asnwer as there is no answer, its like asking what the meaning of life is, everyone has their own perspective, like that question I wanted to know their own take so they thought about it rather than copying pre-made definitions and deleted ones that wernt appropriate, less of the over-efficient and more thought into responses please.

MinstrelMan;4952382

firstly calm down.i'm not after an acceptable asnwer as there is no … firstly calm down.i'm not after an acceptable asnwer as there is no answer, its like asking what the meaning of life is, everyone has their own perspective, like that question I wanted to know their own take so they thought about it rather than copying pre-made definitions and deleted ones that wernt appropriate, less of the over-efficient and more thought into responses please.

Yup, that make sense. Not.

Original Poster

Liddle ol' me;4952415

Yup, that make sense. Not.

well **** off then, if I wanted a text book answer I'm more than capable of searching google myself.

radical use of 90's laguage by the way. :thumbsup:

MinstrelMan;4952437

well **** off then, if I wanted a text book answer I'm more than capable … well **** off then, if I wanted a text book answer I'm more than capable of searching google myself.radical use of 90's laguage by the way. :thumbsup:

I suspected when you said 'calm down' that you were referring to your own emotional state. Now I know for sure! :-D

Original Poster

quite possibly, i can be easily wound up.

But shouldnt you be checking for racist comments on bitterwallet made in your name?

MinstrelMan;4952470

quite possibly, i can be easily wound up.But shouldnt you be checking for … quite possibly, i can be easily wound up.But shouldnt you be checking for racist comments on bitterwallet made in your name?

I see. You are one of those types.

Good luck finding an answer to your question MinstrelMan.

Original Poster

Liddle ol' me;4952535

I see. You are one of those types.

Emphesise? if you think I did that then you're very much mistake, like here if I had a problem I'd say it directly. I'm merely pointing out its very easy to get wound up by someone being a bit of a tit

Original Poster

starsparkle2311;4952979

hotukdeals deal anarchy from the masses?!!!!!!!!!!!!

mass(es) so there are a number of them here? theres a mass and a multiplyer :oops:

this is gettin deep

MinstrelMan;4952470

quite possibly, i can be easily wound up.But shouldnt you be checking for … quite possibly, i can be easily wound up.But shouldnt you be checking for racist comments on bitterwallet made in your name?

:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

Original Poster

^^^^^^ IT WAS HIM!!!!! :lol:

I was trying to define what I think it is, and everything I write makes no sense. But, I think it's up to personal definitions, everyone seems to have their own take on it

more than I can count with a quick glance, which makes it different for everyone!

MinstrelMan;4953073

^^^^^^ IT WAS HIM!!!!! :lol:

Twas not me, but I remember that, was quite an amusing thread!!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. cheapest way to Get from BRIDLINGTON TO ACCRINGTON ??33
      2. Laptop screen backlight issue23
      3. Input Lag v Refresh rate on a TV..510
      4. Three connection89

See more discussions