Random text emoji question

Posted 21st Feb
Random one, I have an iPhone, and got an SMS text from someone which had emojis in.

My data was off and I was out so not on wifi - how did the emoji get received, aren't they classed as data?

Not the pressing issue of the day, I appreciate, but just curious!

Cheers
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Emoji are supported over text message
It's all built in software, agreed by developers. That's why you can't see emojis developed in software after your most recent update.
Also why you may see a plastic gun when you type "gun" but I get a spaghetti western pistol.

blog.emojipedia.org/app…ji/

🔫
Emoji are included in text messages. They are not data. You will be charged for adding emoji in text messages. It is considered picture messages or MMS.

This is why I much prefer sending messages over WhatsApp as smileys are free. I think the days of SMS messages are numbered. They are such an antiquated way of communication now.

You also get charged for text messages if your message is too long so it becomes MMS. Again, not a problem with WhatsApp.
mutley121/02/2020 18:53

Emoji are included in text messages. They are not data. You will be …Emoji are included in text messages. They are not data. You will be charged for adding emoji in text messages. It is considered picture messages or MMS.This is why I much prefer sending messages over WhatsApp as smileys are free. I think the days of SMS messages are numbered. They are such an antiquated way of communication now.You also get charged for text messages if your message is too long so it becomes MMS. Again, not a problem with WhatsApp.

Longer messages tend just to get split into multiple SMSs and recombined seamlessly, unless they're getting really very lengthy.
Illusionary21/02/2020 21:26

Longer messages tend just to get split into multiple SMSs and recombined …Longer messages tend just to get split into multiple SMSs and recombined seamlessly, unless they're getting really very lengthy.

you don't see the split when you type the message or send it. you just end up with a charge on your bill. you can set the phone to warn you when your sms has changed to mms but visually you don't see the split of the message.

textanywhere.com/con…th/
mutley121/02/2020 22:45

you don't see the split when you type the message or send it. you just …you don't see the split when you type the message or send it. you just end up with a charge on your bill. you can set the phone to warn you when your sms has changed to mms but visually you don't see the split of the message.https://www.textanywhere.com/content-hub/faq/general-questions/is-there-a-maximum-sms-message-length/

Yep, that's pretty much what I was referring to.
I just thought it strange that emojis seem like a picture, and my phone was not connected to data or wifi so how does it 'download' them when I received the text?

I overthink things
TGPips22/02/2020 00:23

I just thought it strange that emojis seem like a picture, and my phone …I just thought it strange that emojis seem like a picture, and my phone was not connected to data or wifi so how does it 'download' them when I received the text?I overthink things

Your phone already has most of the possible emoji stored in it. When I send you an emoji, the phone turns it into a code for that emoji. Your phone receives the code and knows which emoji it means, so it turns it back into the emoji for you!

In the pre-smartphone era, I might have sent you a smiley face on my black-and-white Nokia 3310 like this... :-)

If you had a more advanced phone than me (colour screen) then your phone might swap out my :-) for an actual . All without needing to download anything, because the smileys were already programmed into your fancy phone.
Edited by: "lyesbkz" 22nd Feb
lyesbkz22/02/2020 00:38

Your phone already has most of the possible emoji stored in it. When I …Your phone already has most of the possible emoji stored in it. When I send you an emoji, the phone turns it into a code for that emoji. Your phone receives the code and knows which emoji it means, so it turns it back into the emoji for you!In the pre-smartphone era, I might have sent you a smiley face on my black-and-white Nokia 3310 like this... :-)If you had a more advanced phone than me (colour screen) then your phone might swap out my :-) for an actual . All without needing to download anything, because the smileys were already programmed into your fancy phone.

I did guess it must be something like that. Like :-) will be , I guess each one must have it's own 'basic' version the phone converts.

Sounds nerdy but would be interesting to see every emoji's basic version, like the skeleton. I got a 'thumbs-up' one, would be interesting to see that stripped down, I wonder convoluted they are to form complex emojis like buildings etc...

I'm sure there must be a BBC Four 'History of the emoji' documentary by now... And a QI fact where emojis were sent on morse code or something...

I'm not drunk - honest! This is a stream of consciousness haha.
Edited by: "TGPips" 22nd Feb
TGPips22/02/2020 01:13

I did guess it must be something like that. Like :-) will be , I guess …I did guess it must be something like that. Like :-) will be , I guess each one must have it's own 'basic' version the phone converts.Sounds nerdy but would be interesting to see every emoji's basic version, like the skeleton. I got a 'thumbs-up' one, would be interesting to see that stripped down, I wonder convoluted they are to form complex emojis like buildings etc...I'm sure there must be a BBC Four 'History of the emoji' documentary by now... And a QI fact where emojis were sent on morse code or something...I'm not drunk - honest! This is a stream of consciousness haha.

The following page shows what every emoji looks like on the more popular devices and apps (because some apps, like Facebook, use their own designs again). It's a very long page, as there are thousands of them.

unicode.org/emo…tml
lyesbkz22/02/2020 02:23

The following page shows what every emoji looks like on the more popular …The following page shows what every emoji looks like on the more popular devices and apps (because some apps, like Facebook, use their own designs again). It's a very long page, as there are thousands of them. https://unicode.org/emoji/charts/full-emoji-list.html

Blimey, that is what you call comprehensive!
Edited by: "TGPips" 23rd Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants