Found 9th Feb
Why aren't Gyms connected up to the national grid so all those people on treadmills can generate electricity.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
53 Comments

When was the last time you used a treadmill that required the user to push the belt?

I had the same idea a couple of months ago.

Original Poster

stuarthanley

When was the last time you used a treadmill that required the user to … When was the last time you used a treadmill that required the user to push the belt?

I've never used one, i dont see the point unless your household for some reason.

Why do fools fall in love?

Suppose no one has developed the technology which allows the machine to generate electricity as opposed to using it.

Error440

I've never used one, i dont see the point unless your household for some … I've never used one, i dont see the point unless your household for some reason.

You have picked him up wrong, what he is saying is treadmills do not generate electricity, they use it. If it was one of the cycle machines then that would work, not a treadmill.

https://i.makeagif.com/media/11-14-2015/29qGdY.gif

thewongwing101

Why do fools fall in love?

Awww. Who is it? Is it someone on here?

Treadmills no. Exercise bikes and rowing machines yes! In fact, why do they even need to be plugged in to operate? Surely a servo could convert the kinetic energy into electricity to power the unit itself. A small battery inside the unit could be charged to keep the unit on when no kinetic energy is being produced (between exercises). Any excess electricity produced should absolutely go to the grid. In fact, force all prisoners to cycle or row 24/7 and power the grid that way.

They did it in the grand tour and proved it was possible. Some gyms are starting to use it as well as solar panels

James May did this to charge a electric Gwiz car took 8 hours to charge using 10 bikes and other things at the gym and he got 20 miles

Original Poster

Why don't we have waterwheels anymore

Why does David Beckham want a knighthood?

BagABargain78

Treadmills no. Exercise bikes and rowing machines yes! In fact, why do … Treadmills no. Exercise bikes and rowing machines yes! In fact, why do they even need to be plugged in to operate? Surely a servo could convert the kinetic energy into electricity to power the unit itself. A small battery inside the unit could be charged to keep the unit on when no kinetic energy is being produced (between exercises). Any excess electricity produced should absolutely go to the grid. In fact, force all prisoners to cycle or row 24/7 and power the grid that way.

There is an episode of Black Mirror like that where everyone has to use exercise machines to generate electricity which earns them credits to spend

Original Poster

3guesses

Why does David Beckham want a knighthood?

Would he want one if it was BO rather then OBE

BagABargain78

Treadmills no. Exercise bikes and rowing machines yes! In fact, why do … Treadmills no. Exercise bikes and rowing machines yes! In fact, why do they even need to be plugged in to operate? Surely a servo could convert the kinetic energy into electricity to power the unit itself. A small battery inside the unit could be charged to keep the unit on when no kinetic energy is being produced (between exercises). Any excess electricity produced should absolutely go to the grid. In fact, force all prisoners to cycle or row 24/7 and power the grid that way.

Think most gym equipment already use rechargeable batteries in the equipment. One i use has anyway.

BagABargain78

I've always said that about prisoners. If they want their electricity on all day, they should have to generate it themselves.
Also, did you know that the slang term for a prison officer "screw" originated from when prisoners had to turn a crank as part of their punishment and the crank could be tightened or loosened by a screw?
Edited by: "SJHan" 9th Feb

why can't I sell one of my kidneys on eBay & spend the money on beer?

Original Poster

stuarthanley

I've always said that about prisoners. If they want their electricity on … I've always said that about prisoners. If they want their electricity on all day, they should have to generate it themselves. Also, did you know that the slang term for a prison officer "screw" originated from when prisoners had to turn a crank as part of their punishment and the crank could be tightened or loosened by a screw?

And do you know they also had treadmiles menial tasks were introduced as a means of putting the homeless off doing crimes so they'd get a roof overhead and 3 meals.

Original Poster

Why can't we all have helper monkies

They should build giant hamster style wheels in prisons which are connected to generators and then feed the national grid, make each prisoner walk or run on them for at least 2 hours day, all taking turns so the wheels are running 24 hours a day, any that refuse should lose all privlages..
Edited by: "POWYSWALES" 9th Feb

Imagine if they could harness all the hot air an bs spouted on here. X)

CookinBat

Imagine if they could harness all the hot air an bs spouted on here. X)

It'd soon replace nuclear weapons purely based on availability of raw materials!

victor99

There is an episode of Black Mirror like that where everyone has to use … There is an episode of Black Mirror like that where everyone has to use exercise machines to generate electricity which earns them credits to spend

I watched my first episode of black mirror last night!

POWYSWALES

They should build giant hamster style wheels in prisons which are … They should build giant hamster style wheels in prisons which are connected to generators and then feed the national grid, make each prisoner walk or run on them for at least 2 hours day, all taking turns so the wheels are running 24 hours a day, any that refuse should lose all privlages..

A whole prison could be designed with that sort of thing, instead of getting a cetain time in prison you would get a certain wattage. 100 watts for shoplifting, a couple of KW for car theft, Megawatts for murder and Gigawats for paedo's. It would encourage prisoners to work hard, the harder you work the shorter your time, and it would reduce the amount of drugs as the prisoners would be to occupied to need them.

Original Poster

123thisisme

A whole prison could be designed with that sort of thing, instead of … A whole prison could be designed with that sort of thing, instead of getting a cetain time in prison you would get a certain wattage. 100 watts for shoplifting, a couple of KW for car theft, Megawatts for murder and Gigawats for paedo's. It would encourage prisoners to work hard, the harder you work the shorter your time, and it would reduce the amount of drugs as the prisoners would be to occupied to need them.

Increase levels of speed and steroids

Why does it only tickle when someone else is doing the tickling?

Aiden1512

Why does it only tickle when someone else is doing the tickling?

You're not doing it right

stuarthanley

You're not doing it right

I don't want any more info thanks. X)

123thisisme

A whole prison could be designed with that sort of thing, instead of … A whole prison could be designed with that sort of thing, instead of getting a cetain time in prison you would get a certain wattage. 100 watts for shoplifting, a couple of KW for car theft, Megawatts for murder and Gigawats for paedo's. It would encourage prisoners to work hard, the harder you work the shorter your time, and it would reduce the amount of drugs as the prisoners would be to occupied to need them.

I prefer this type of punishment

Error440

Increase levels of speed and steroids

True, i did think that actually but i think overall drug use would go right down.

Aiden1512

I don't want any more info thanks. X)

That's a shame. I had a story, subplots and implements ready for ya

Did you see this on the Grand Tour?

Remember a show on the BBC I think. They invited a family to stay in a house but didn't tell them the electricity was being generated by people on exercise bikes. The family kept leaving the fridge door open and I remember one of the presenters had to dive in to help when they turned the oven on and forgot. Mornings were great, toaster, kettle hairdryer, shower etc.

123thisisme

m.mentalfloss.com/art…275

been done before to grind corn, invented in 1818.

BagABargain78

It'd soon replace nuclear weapons purely based on availability of raw … It'd soon replace nuclear weapons purely based on availability of raw materials!

I rest my case

shadey12

​http://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=12275been done before to grind c … ​http://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=12275been done before to grind corn, invented in 1818.

Spot on my man, bring back the treadmill is what I say.

I wonder what Deeky's feet look like?

123thisisme

Spot on my man, bring back the treadmill is what I say.

​apparently it was too hard for the prisoners, they moved on to breaking rocks in the hot sun.
The clash single may not have had the same ring to it. 'treading the wheel in the prison, I fought the law and the won'

POWYSWALES

They should build giant hamster style wheels in prisons which are … They should build giant hamster style wheels in prisons which are connected to generators and then feed the national grid, make each prisoner walk or run on them for at least 2 hours day, all taking turns so the wheels are running 24 hours a day, any that refuse should lose all privlages..

With Diane abbot chasing them and if they refuse Diane abbot locked up with them, X)

Edited by: "Glamwampam" 9th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Driving anxiety.2327
    2. Skateboarding advice (beginner) 25/yo215
    3. Suggest tablet replacement for a Lenovo Yoga 2 8.035
    4. Can you improve my PC build?66

See more discussions