Rant about properties let by agencies

Found 8th JunEdited by:"hearts22"
Another rant since our search for a new place continues without success.

About agents managing properties that at the end of the tenancy don't even bother doing a deep cleaning of the place... Is that the norm? I am pretty sure they will take money from the previous tenant's deposit and what do they do with it? Certainly they don't use it to clean the places.

All the places I have seen so far had toilets full of disgusting limescale ( ), one had even stains on the toilet seat and many had stains everywhere on the carpets.

One had a broken toilet seat, cracks one the walls, mould on the window sills etc... and they charge good money for these holes.

Don't the landlords know in what state their place is? I would be embarrassed to show the place to someone in that condition. I don't think demanding a clean place is too much, is it? I don't wanna clean up someone else's dirt and especially pay extortionate fees when these agents don't do anything really it seems.

Maybe w've been lucky but had two private landlords (one place let by agency but managed by the landlord and it showed) and the place when we moved in was clean. Toilets spotless etc and both landlords took pride in keeping their place presentable.

I bet the landlords who let their properties be managed by the agents have no idea of how badly managed they are. I'm losing hope and I am starting to think it's impossible to find a well-kept place rented out by an agency. Unfortunately finding a private landlord seems harder than winning the lottery where we are at the moment.
Community Updates
Misc
21 Comments
Some landlords and agencies are all about the money.
Welcome to Planet Earth, I trust you enjoy your stay.
Agharta9 m ago

Some landlords and agencies are all about the money.Welcome to Planet …Some landlords and agencies are all about the money.Welcome to Planet Earth, I trust you enjoy your stay.

Well they might be but they won't have our money if that's all they care about . One thing I got from this is that people don't like to clean toilets after they leave a rented property .

The other sad thing is someone else will still take these places and make do with the lack of cleanliness. That means agencies and landlords can keep presenting places to prospective tenants because someone will settle for that.
33942006-Oe78i.jpg
Kingdom Hearts 22 Page 13
I'm in a rented apartment after selling my house and waiting to buy another house. I was promised that the apartment would be deep cleaned, which it wasn't of course. The agency was not the least bothered when I pointed out that there were cobwebs on the ceilings and that the surfaces were mucky. I had great fun correcting the inventory though - to the annoyance of the agency. Yes, they are in it for the money and have little concern for the tenant.
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 8th Jun
It should be an open question to be legally answered by the letting agency . ie has this place had a deep clean ,were the previous tenants charged for a deep clean and if so can I (and the previous tenants ) view an invoice for the deep clean (from whatever firm did ,or didn't do said deep clean }. I suspect it is your (and the outgoing tenants -who got charged for it ,presumably ) right to see such an invoice .
rogparki5 m ago

It should be an open question to be legally answered by the letting agency …It should be an open question to be legally answered by the letting agency . ie has this place had a deep clean ,were the previous tenants charged for a deep clean and if so can I (and the previous tenants ) view an invoice for the deep clean (from whatever firm did ,or didn't do said deep clean }. I suspect it is your (and the outgoing tenants -who got charged for it ,presumably ) right to see such an invoice .

Though depends on contract as to whether there is a deep clean clause in transition from one to another.
I would save £200-£400 for a deep clean by appointing my cleaner. An agent typically has a markup of 100%+.
A good quality cleaner with good gear, self employed, up to £20/hr.
Agharta46 m ago

Some landlords and agencies are all about the money.Welcome to Planet …Some landlords and agencies are all about the money.Welcome to Planet Earth, I trust you enjoy your stay.

Aliens will find it hostile to emigrate to here.
I recently looked at 3 houses. I went with the one where the Landlord himself came to show the house. He had fitted new carpets and provided a new fridge freezer and a washing machine. He also promised to mow the lawn. Sometimes, you just have to keep looking.
Bet the agents charged the owner for a deep clean
It must be frustrating for you. The only thing I can suggest is that if you like a property that obviously needs a deep clean you could ask the agent to ring the landlord and ask them to meet you for a second viewing. That way you get to meet the landlord and also they can see the state of the property for themselves.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 8th Jun
Hey hearts22, join the club. It is a strange coincidence that only yesterday I posted about how people can complaint to the Housing Ombudsman for free hotukdeals.com/dis…657 . If I were you I would rent from Housing Associations - they have market rent and other types of rentals. If you don't know which are the housing associations near you, your council and/or internet search might help. Radian Homes is not great, but I would definitely recommend them over private landlords - you are not forced to pay in cash or have the owner entering your home without notice for instance!
Sometimes Housing Associations are called Social Landlords.
Edited by: "ParadisePapers" 9th Jun
The thing is, dirty toilets are not to much of a problem. Mentally it might be a challenge but as bathrooms age the materials become prone to mould. Scrubbing the grouting or the sealant wont clean it off, as it breaks down the mould penetrates and the grout and sealant need replacing, its not cleaning up issue.

Newer plastic toilet seats are prone to become urine stained around underside an the inner lip b/c the more environmentally friendly plastic is slight porous in places. They are replicable and not really cleanable at that point.

Limescale in a toilet, not everyone cleans up the limescale but it doesn't make it dirty. I doubt a cleaning company is going to remove a serious limescale build up, anything beyond an OTC product is likely to require training and insurance. Not something you would leave in the hands of a cleaner who most likely does not speak good English, let along reads it.

Cracks in the walls? Again as buildings age and move these occur, on a clay basin these will likely close as the ground gets wetter. it not going to be fixed by a deep clean, it needs a repair.

Some stains dye materials, so some carpet materials will become stained and it wont be possible to remove them. Early treatment is ideal, stain prevention treatments are ideal. Carpets are replaceable.

Your question is it the norm to find rental homes, maybe with high turn over in less then perfect conditions....yes. Its part of the market, but some of the points you mentioned wont be fixed with a deep clean.

Cleaning companies operate by offering a range of cleaning options, none of them say that the outcome will be 100%.

There is a market for every property, some people wont mind and others wont have a choice. Maybe deep clean money is saved for a makeover every 5 -10 years.
Edited by: "groenleader" 9th Jun
groenleader9th Jun

The thing is, dirty toilets are not to much of a problem. Mentally it …The thing is, dirty toilets are not to much of a problem. Mentally it might be a challenge but as bathrooms age the materials become prone to mould. Scrubbing the grouting or the sealant wont clean it off, as it breaks down the mould penetrates and the grout and sealant need replacing, its not cleaning up issue.Newer plastic toilet seats are prone to become urine stained around underside an the inner lip b/c the more environmentally friendly plastic is slight porous in places. They are replicable and not really cleanable at that point. Limescale in a toilet, not everyone cleans up the limescale but it doesn't make it dirty. I doubt a cleaning company is going to remove a serious limescale build up, anything beyond an OTC product is likely to require training and insurance. Not something you would leave in the hands of a cleaner who most likely does not speak good English, let along reads it. Cracks in the walls? Again as buildings age and move these occur, on a clay basin these will likely close as the ground gets wetter. it not going to be fixed by a deep clean, it needs a repair. Some stains dye materials, so some carpet materials will become stained and it wont be possible to remove them. Early treatment is ideal, stain prevention treatments are ideal. Carpets are replaceable. Your question is it the norm to find rental homes, maybe with high turn over in less then perfect conditions....yes. Its part of the market, but some of the points you mentioned wont be fixed with a deep clean. Cleaning companies operate by offering a range of cleaning options, none of them say that the outcome will be 100%.There is a market for every property, some people wont mind and others wont have a choice. Maybe deep clean money is saved for a makeover every 5 -10 years.

Well I clean my toilet with bleach and occasionally viakal left overnight and they do the job without too much work on my part... and I am talking about the part below the water that is brown! This people don't know they can pour bleach down the toilet? Are they that lazy? I am not a clean freak but things like that put me off big time. One had brown stains on the toilet seat... not joking. That's just disgusting.

The cracks on the walls are just unsightly and could live with them if the rest was ok. That's nothing tragic.
Mould is not ok as it means the place is damp so that's a red flag.

Stains on the carpets... either clean them or replace them. Why should I take a place with a stained carpet? Some stains looked like skid marks from a pet. Would they go and live in a place with a carpet like that? I doubt it.

A deep clean should be done whether it is on the agreement or not. If the place is left dirty you need to make it presentable for the next tenant. It's just common sense and should be a priority for a decent landlord. I realise these are not good landlords if they can't be bothered to do this. If the carpet is stained and cannot be cleaned, it should be replaced. Or just do away with these bl**dy carpets lol. I hate them.

They are asking good money for places that are poor... it's unacceptable. I pointed out the stained carpets to some agent and she said "the landlord knows"... I am pleased to hear he knows but hasn't done anything about it

Our current place that we have to leave and only because the landlord decided to sell and we can't buy it ourselves is cheaper, is a house and not a flat and for a 1 bed place has a reasonable size. It was also fully furnished (landlord even provided ironing board, vacuum cleaner etc.) and clean.

Landlord told us he personally scrubbed the toilet so that it was clean when we moved in.
It was honestly a great bargain even if it's really nothing special and I realise this now that we have to move out and I compare it to what's available on the market. I just want a well-kept place. I don't think it's too much to ask.

Yes, some people won't mind and some don't have a choice. That's why landlords and agencies can keep not caring about standards sadly.
Edited by: "hearts22" 10th Jun
Treat others as we would like to be treated.
Eye for an eye, they don't care for us, we don't care for them.
When does this end, in this spiral decline?
Down the pan.
@hearts22 Ah yeah, the brown stain is not quite from urine or feces but limes scale build up that has then been stained by the before mentioned.

Harpic Power Plus toilet tablets will remove the limescale and the stains. As its below the waterline any liquid limescale remover (on contact cleaner) will not work very well. The Harpic product will turn the water in the bowl in to acid, use gloves!

Bleach is a good product to prevent limescale build up as it leaves behind a slight film when you rinse it. In places where it get wet all the time it wont prevail. If you are in a lime scale area a toilet cleaner with both antibac and anti lime will be a great choice.

It does seem sad that some people are happy to let others live in these conditions!
Edited by: "groenleader" 10th Jun
The monthly rental price is negotiable, why don’t you view more expensive properties but then offer less. Unless a landlord is particularly stupid, it is better to get an immediate good rent as opposed to having a property sat empty for 6 months until they find someone willing to pay a great rent.
With renting, unfortunately you get what you pay for. Try not to tarnish all landlords with the same brush, it’s usually the letting agents that manage the properties that are to blame. Some landlords live the other side of the country or even abroad, so they rely on managing agents. Personally I manage my own properties, I do the viewings and ensure the properties are spotless when I hand the keys over. Make sure the agent does a full inventory with photos and the landlord should also get a duplicate copy.
Good luck.
I've had to clean all 8 properties I've rented, they never do it .

The whole industry attracts the most greedy and exploitative elements of society. They need heavy regulation but government pockets are lined by it so it won't happen, tenants will continue to be milked, exploited and conned by legalised thieves & parasites who use titles like 'letting agent' and 'landlord'.

My advice is do whatever it takes to get out of renting.
Everyone seems to have it in for the landlords here. What about the scummy tenants who leave the properties in a disgusting state in the first place? I rent a property out. I wouldn't dream of letting my house out in a substandard state. We aren't all money grabbing thieves.
sure the places should be clean but i think ops point is that they were getting a (probably too) good deal with current landlord
a deal so good op is being chucked out so landlord can make more money
spaceinvader1 h, 41 m ago

I've had to clean all 8 properties I've rented, they never do it . The …I've had to clean all 8 properties I've rented, they never do it . The whole industry attracts the most greedy and exploitative elements of society. They need heavy regulation but government pockets are lined by it so it won't happen, tenants will continue to be milked, exploited and conned by legalised thieves & parasites who use titles like 'letting agent' and 'landlord'. My advice is do whatever it takes to get out of renting.

Not all landlords are bad. There are good and bad on both sides. Hell, I tend to find most landlords are reasonable as long you not been out of hand but then paying more for better accommodation is standard.

Cheap places tend to attract a kind of lower spectrum of tenants which shows like not cutting the lawn, rubbish everywhere, not tidying up, not cleaning even after heavy cooking sessions, not repairing/replacing like for like after accidents. I've known some tenants cheaping out & don't bother cleaning, tidying up & removing their once their tenancy agreement has ended. Hell, even removing lightbulbs like they own them after the original lightbulbs were working perfectly fine, we are talking good quality LEDs bulbs not some £land cheap .

I knew a landlord who told me a story of a tenant who complained of the toilet pan, yes toilet pan won't flush his & having to flush several times. What a joke & funny as hell when I heard that the first time. It was a brand new estate with all houses and flats using the same size toilet pans. Did he think the landlord was going to change a brand new toilet pan just to accommodate his fat arse just to flush his in one flush. A lot of the new toilet pans are due to saving water. Bigger toilet pans are still available but tend to be in older properties that are still surviving to this day. Even the developer who built the estate won't buy different size toilet pans. I said to that landlord, why doesn't he changed his diet, have regular toilet breaks or change his favourite toilet paper brand. The landlord told me he'll be out of the tenency agreement soon & won't allow him to rent any of his property portfolio forever on the whole estate. Not once did the tenant ever come to think whoever built the houses & flats in the first place. Still PMSL to day when I tell everyone about this.

I believe that some tenants have far high expectations on quality of accommodation & expect to pay less. If you want to pay less for better accommodation, get on a housing association but expect long waits & that you maybe unlucky to live with some undesirable folks as these could attract them. Trust me I used to live in a seaside village which wasn't very nice in the past. It's not a hotel or B&B service, it's a roof over your head everyday for the length of the tenancy agreement that you can call home temporary. It's not your house but the banks or landlords. If you want to own your own home, get a mortgage.
Edited by: "veedubjai" 10th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants