Groups

Rant on receipts and guarantees, pandora and B&Q grrrrrr

Ok first grrrrrr is B&Q I bought an oven in January and 2 weeks ago it was taken out of the box to test, and it keeps tripping the electrics in my house, (not the house they have been tested)
    The make of oven is CATA which only b&q sell and it is a new model which they have just started selling.
    The one time I pay with cash...i cant find the receipt, they wont replace or repair it for me and told me to get it repaired independantly.... its never worked!!!

Next I got a pandora bracelet for christmas, one of the clips has fallen off, obviously it has had to have been faulty to fall off. But because it has fallen off I dont have it thought Id try my luck with pandora...but the way my luck is at the minute obviously the woman who i spoke to might as well of just laughed in my face.

Any advice on the first rant would be greatly appreciated.

Terri

44 Comments

Banned

Lesson number one.

Keep receipts.

Lesson number two

Remember lesson number one

No reciept = no proof of purchase.

Do you know the date & rough time you purchased it? They might be able to find the receipt on their system

BnQ keep a record of purchases on there system, I've been there before without a receipt and if you know the day they can usually track it?

Not really much you can do, although it might be worth trying a different B+Q to see if you have any luck there?
    They dont have to refund you, but its curtosy to do so and also the oven should have some kind of serial number or manufacture date, it might be worth looking for that.

dtovey89

No reciept = no proof of purchase.

Incorrect.

was gonna post something but re-read you paid with cash

lulz. unlucky.

thesaint

Incorrect.

true I was gonna post the SOGA info about receipts and credit card statements etc...but no hope for the OP
    Edited by: "numptyj" 14th Mar 2011

Banned

numptyj

true I was gonna post the SOGA info about receipts and credit card … true I was gonna post the SOGA info about receipts and credit card statements etc...but no hope for the OP

Terms and conditions with B&Q now wouldnt matter if you could provide a bank statement. They've moved the goalposts recently. No receipt, no refund from B&Q. In days gone by, you didn't even need a receipt with them. I saw someone arguing with their CS desk about 2 weeks ago saying she could prove she bought it from them with he Credit Card statment. They said "tough luck" (but with a bit more tact than that!)

Original Poster

I bought the oven on the 10/01/11, i took the day off to buy it, cos it was the last day of the of the 10% off sale, and it was early afternoon.
    But the thing is I obviously bought it from there, and i obviously didnt shoplift it!!
    I had to get a friend to pick it up in their car cos mine was too small.
    I have had no bliddy kitchen since new year... a flood on friday and to top it all of ive bought a dodgy car..things aint going good at the minute

Banned

If its a make only B&Q sell and it hasn't been on sale for a year you can certainly argue, proof of purchase are those 2 facts.
    I would write a stringly worded letter to their head office and see what they say.

if you know what time you went in and the total amount you paid they can find it on their system - unless you can tell them something as to time/amount/cash/credit card/vouchers etc then they do not have to do anything about it sorry

Buy another and send the first one back on the second receipt........maybe (insert pirate smiley here)

By the way Amazon and ebay of course sell CATA ovens (not saying your one) so to B&Q you may have purchased it elsewhere.

B&Q may also insist on seeing it installed to check the correct installation has been carried out.

Edited by: "greg_68" 14th Mar 2011

Original Poster

EEEeeeee thats naughty, but i have thought about that!

greg_68

Buy another and send the first one back on the second … Buy another and send the first one back on the second receipt........maybe (insert pirate smiley here)

Banned

You do not need a receipt the goods are not of merchantable quality and you have a contract with the retailer that you bought the goods from.. If they refuse ring trading standards tell them what happened, then get a complaint number from them....then ring the store and tell them TS are waiting for you to get back to them if the store doesn't fulfill it's obligations. The serial number on the machine will indicate what batch it is from and witch retailer it was sent to from the manufacturer.

If the goods are faulty & under 6 months old, it is the seller who has to prove the product wasn't bought from them as the burden of proof is reversed. A time & date should suffice. A seller is not obliged to give you a receipt in the first place, so therefore it is unreasonable for them to request one. The seller has to prove the goods did conform to contract which they will not be able to do if it is faulty. Also check if there are any manufacturing dates on the product. If there is one and it is manufactured within the last 6 months, it will further add weight to your arguement as well as the fact the product can only be purchased from B&Q. Expect a battle, but don't give in.

bbc.co.uk/blo…tml

Banned

The Therapist

If the goods are faulty & under 6 months old, it is the seller who has to … If the goods are faulty & under 6 months old, it is the seller who has to prove the product wasn't bought from them as the burden of proof is reversed. A time & date should suffice. A seller is not obliged to give you a receipt in the first place, so therefore it is unreasonable for them to request one. The seller has to prove the goods did conform to contract which they will not be able to do if it is faulty. Also check if there are any manufacturing dates on the product. If there is one and it is manufactured within the last 6 months, it will further add weight to your arguement as well as the fact the product can only be purchased from B&Q. Expect a battle, but don't give in.

Thats not true, you can't expect a retailer to prove you didn't buy something from them, proving a negative is almost impossible in most cases. Unless you give the retailer full access to all your bank/credit card accounts, and every retailer in the uk allows them access to their records then I don't see how they could prove you didn't buy from them?

If you had read the thread you would have seen that other places sell them too, so although that would be pretty much a cast iron case, it isn't now.

colinsunderland

Thats not true, you can't expect a retailer to prove you didn't buy … Thats not true, you can't expect a retailer to prove you didn't buy something from them, proving a negative is almost impossible in most cases. Unless you give the retailer full access to all your bank/credit card accounts, and every retailer in the uk allows them access to their records then I don't see how they could prove you didn't buy from them?If you had read the thread you would have seen that other places sell them too, so although that would be pretty much a cast iron case, it isn't now.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/berr.gov.uk/wha…tml

Banned

What exactly was that link for? The only part that supports your claim is where a retailer doesnt give a receipt. B&Q give receipts and insist its required for exchange or refund. End of.

Now about your claim retailers need to prove you didnt buy it from them......... Where does that BS come from? Prove you didnt steal it, or buy it at a car boot sale, or in a sale with 90% discount, or as a second, or as....... The list is endless. Its down to the purchaser, end of.

Banned

http://www.blackburn.gov.uk/server.p...onWebDoc.17727

"Do I have to do anything if the customer hasn’t got a receipt?
    A receipt is not the only means of proving that they bought the goods from you. The customer may have a credit card slip or proof from their bank. They might simply be able to show that somebody else witnessed their purchase."

or Solihull Trading Standards http://www.solihull.gov.uk/tradingst...oconsumers.htm

"Do I need a receipt to get a refund?

Basically, the answer is no but you will need another proof of purchase. This could be a bank statement indicating the purchase, credit card counterfoil or even a witness who saw you make the purchase."

Banned

The Therapist

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html#Q7DoIhavetoproduceareceipttoclaimmyrights

thanks for backing up what I said

Banned

Tovi....How much was the washer?

How did you get it home?

Did you require any help getting it into the vehicle?

Do you think you would remember any members of staff that served you if you saw them again in store?

Original Poster

This is the oven i bought
    Your text here
    I took a day off work to go and get it on the 10/01/11, i bought it this day as it was the last day of their 10% off period. I still have all the packaging...with B&Q labels on!
    My OH came with me and we bought it early afternoon

slamdunkin

Tovi....How much was the washer?How did you get it home?Did you require … Tovi....How much was the washer?How did you get it home?Did you require any help getting it into the vehicle?Do you think you would remember any members of staff that served you if you saw them again in store?

Edited by: "tovi" 15th Mar 2011

I'd ring head office, explain the istuation with the fact you can identify the day you bought it and it still has B&Q packaging on it. If they still argue then I'd go with plan B and buy another.

I guess if I was B&Q I'd maybe thinking you had bought a faulty unit off say ebay and were trying to fleece them, I can understand why they wouldn't replace it but there are ways around this. (_;)
    Edited by: "greg_68" 15th Mar 2011

Banned

if you still have the packaging with B&Q on it then thats enough for proof of purchase. and assuming they haven't sold it for 6 months or more then they don't have a leg to stand on. I would contact Head Office by phone first, see what they say, if you don't get any joy, ask how to contact the complaints department and send them a strongly worded email/letter.
    If you need any help writing one let me know

Banned

If you dont have a receipt and didnt pay cash, how you gonna prove what you paid (let alone where).

Last October, durimg one of their sales, I bought a rediculously cheap gas fire, which I was unable to use in the end as it had the wrong exhaust. Anyway.... It was reduced from £300, down to £150, then down to £75. I took it to checkout to pay) On that weekend, it was 20% off fires, so it came down to £60, then even further surprise, it took my 20% kingfisher card and I ended up paying £48.

Do you think if I said id lost my receipt and came up with a covk n null story, id get £300 back on this BnQ branded fire?

PS all of the above is true.... And the fire is still sitting in my log cabin upopened.

tovi

This is the oven i … This is the oven i bought[url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.diy.com%2Fdiy%2Fjsp%2Fbq%2Fnav.jsp%3Faction%3Ddetail%26fh_secondid%3D11247522%26fh_view_size%3D12%26fh_start_index%3D12%26fh_eds%3D%253f%26fh_location%3D%2F%2Fcatalog01%2Fen_GB%2Fcategories%253C%7B9372014%7D%2Fcategories%253C%7B9372034%7D%2Fcategories%253C%7B9372164%7D%26fh_refview%3Dlister%26isSearch%3Dfalse]Your text here[/url]I took a day off work to go and get it on the 10/01/11, i bought it this day as it was the last day of their 10% off period. I still have all the packaging...with B&Q labels on!My OH came with me and we bought it early afternoon

Your only hope is if they have you on cctv (_;)

Otherwise let it go as a HARD lesson learned

Banned

If they don't exchange it after trying politly to assert your rights verbally and then in writing, send them a letter before action telling them you will start proceedings against them in 14 days.

A small claims judge will view this on the laws of probability and see it as highly unlikely that you are lying in order to rip B&Q off.

Edited by: "slamdunkin" 15th Mar 2011

Banned

Lol at keyboard entry from my phone....
    Sorry about typos above....

Original Poster

I dot want a refund...I want an oven that works!!
    I sent an email on Sunday, just waiting for a reply.......If I get nil response, I may need to call upon your help to write a stronger worded one!
    Thanks for all you help folks
    When I can get someone to help me put it in the car Im just gonna land at B&Q with it.
    If no luck, plan B and buy another one!!! I will then have a receipt and return the 1st one!

Banned

guv

Lesson number one.Keep receipts.Lesson number twoRemember lesson number … Lesson number one.Keep receipts.Lesson number twoRemember lesson number one

lesson number 3 dont buy cheap tat

Banned

Choco...cctv is probably only kept for 7 days max, unless required at the time.

Small claims court is a.bad idea imho, though using the threat isnt.

Banned

dog_cop

lesson number 3 dont buy cheap tat

LOL... fair point........ To be fair, at the same time (and I looked while in the store), this fire was being sold online for between £280 and £399....... I thought...... I'll buy and sell for a profit if it turns out to be the wrong type (Shown as multi-flue - how I would I know it wasnt right!). Unfortunately I'm too bone idle to do so. Money's but a peanut! X)

Anyone want a cheap gas fire?

(Inb4 reported for selling outside FS forum!)

Edited by: "guv" 15th Mar 2011

If buying another one, check their returns policy on the item first. They might not refund with the receipt, just replace, then you'll be stuck with two.

Banned

guv

If you dont have a receipt and didnt pay cash, how you gonna prove what … If you dont have a receipt and didnt pay cash, how you gonna prove what you paid (let alone where).Last October, durimg one of their sales, I bought a rediculously cheap gas fire, which I was unable to use in the end as it had the wrong exhaust. Anyway.... It was reduced from £300, down to £150, then down to £75. I took it to checkout to pay) On that weekend, it was 20% off fires, so it came down to £60, then even further surprise, it took my 20% kingfisher card and I ended up paying £48.Do you think if I said id lost my receipt and came up with a covk n null story, id get £300 back on this BnQ branded fire?PS all of the above is true.... And the fire is still sitting in my log cabin upopened.

What is massively in is favour though is the fact he wants a replacement not a refund. Therefore it doesn't matter what he paid.

Banned

Very true Colin. I assume they still sell it? Do other places still sell it?

Hopefully he gets it resolved.

Original Poster

YAY,
    A result from my email to customer services!!!
    I have just rang the store and spoke to a manager (who didnt know anything about my case)
    But he just told me to bring it in and they will exchange it! woop woop
    Thanks for all your help peeps
    I dont even need to have any legal quotes to hand when I walk in ...pheww

Banned

Nice one Tovi, glad you got it sorted.

Banned

nice one

Banned

Well done old bean. Now if the do a refund and repurchase....make sure you keep the receipt.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. New a camera to keep track of my Demintina Mother67
      2. What laptop to choose?11
      3. cheapest way to Get from BRIDLINGTON TO ACCRINGTON ??33
      4. Laptop screen backlight issue23

See more discussions