Raspberry Pi for Gaming

Posted 17th Dec 2019
Seasons greetings to all HKUD members.

Looking for advice for a Raspberry Pi as a games console. The ones I can see on Amazon bundles is around the £80+ mark.

I have seen in the past that gaming bundles sometimes on offer go down to £50 and I think that is my budget (if its reasonable).

From what I understand (extremely limited knowledge) you need the Raspberry Pi Unit+memory card+HDMI cable+controllers. Will it be cheaper to make my own bundle?

Also I read somewhere that the free games may not be available.

The retro games I would like to get are as follows and wondering if they are still avaliable:
Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Cadillac and Dinosaurs
Shinobi
Contra

TIA
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
£100+ for a decent pi retro gaming console.

You're stuck between and a rock and a hard place at the moment because all the pre-made images you can download are for the 3b+ but really the 4 is the one to get but retropie hasn't been officially released for the 4 yet.
If you have an xbox one you can save money as you can use that controller with a micro usb cable for pi gaming (too much of a pain from what i hear to try bluetooth with it).
m1keyp1key17/12/2019 14:42

£100+ for a decent pi retro gaming console. You're stuck between and a …£100+ for a decent pi retro gaming console. You're stuck between and a rock and a hard place at the moment because all the pre-made images you can download are for the 3b+ but really the 4 is the one to get but retropie hasn't been officially released for the 4 yet.

many thanks for the lighting speed response. Iam unfamiliar with what "images" are. Will look into it. But I assume the console 4 is the latest one. I dont mind waiting for the prices to drop but was trying to understand what the configurations are.
m1keyp1key17/12/2019 14:44

If you have an xbox one you can save money as you can use that controller …If you have an xbox one you can save money as you can use that controller with a micro usb cable for pi gaming (too much of a pain from what i hear to try bluetooth with it).

Sadly a PS4 owner. I like the controls of it compared to the Microsoft
To futureproof as much as possible you want the pi4 with 4gb of ram.

Images are over on arcadepunks website.

Also you can do without a microsd card if you have a 2.5" drive and caddy spare.
You could always tinker around with a pizero for the time being. Take a look on arcadepunks and see what images are available for the zero.
m1keyp1key17/12/2019 14:45

To futureproof as much as possible you want the pi4 with 4gb of ram. …To futureproof as much as possible you want the pi4 with 4gb of ram. Images are over on arcadepunks website. Also you can do without a microsd card if you have a 2.5" drive and caddy spare.

Does the pi4 come with the ram in it or does one have to buy it separately? In regards to the 2.5 drive is this a casing thing or on the raspberry console itself?
adamnsu17/12/2019 14:45

Sadly a PS4 owner. I like the controls of it compared to the Microsoft

You can probably use a ps4 controller as well. Although i have zero knowledge whether that would be via microusb or whether it has to be via bluetooth and whether you need to mess about installing drivers which isn't easy for a newbie.
m1keyp1key17/12/2019 14:47

You could always tinker around with a pizero for the time being. Take a …You could always tinker around with a pizero for the time being. Take a look on arcadepunks and see what images are available for the zero.

Do I need a VPN to download or is this kosher to download normally (touching my nose)
adamnsu17/12/2019 14:47

Does the pi4 come with the ram in it or does one have to buy it …Does the pi4 come with the ram in it or does one have to buy it separately? In regards to the 2.5 drive is this a casing thing or on the raspberry console itself?

Pi 4 comes with either 1gb, 2gb or 4gb if i recall correctly. The bad thing about it is once you've made your choice you're stuck with it. No upgrading, which is why i recommend going with the 4gb
adamnsu17/12/2019 14:48

Do I need a VPN to download or is this kosher to download normally …Do I need a VPN to download or is this kosher to download normally (touching my nose)

Fine to download however play it safe and if downloading via torrents don't leave it up for sharing.
m1keyp1key17/12/2019 14:49

Pi 4 comes with either 1gb, 2gb or 4gb if i recall correctly. The bad …Pi 4 comes with either 1gb, 2gb or 4gb if i recall correctly. The bad thing about it is once you've made your choice you're stuck with it. No upgrading, which is why i recommend going with the 4gb

ah ok. Yes i would definitely go for the higher ram.
DZ king is the image i'm on at the moment and it's 400gb.
adamnsu17/12/2019 14:47

Does the pi4 come with the ram in it or does one have to buy it …Does the pi4 come with the ram in it or does one have to buy it separately? In regards to the 2.5 drive is this a casing thing or on the raspberry console itself?

You can repurpose any 2.5" laptop drive to use on a raspberry pi. Just put it in an external case. Although you may need a Y cable if it 's power hungry.
m1keyp1key17/12/2019 14:54

You can repurpose any 2.5" laptop drive to use on a raspberry pi. Just put …You can repurpose any 2.5" laptop drive to use on a raspberry pi. Just put it in an external case. Although you may need a Y cable if it 's power hungry.

so if I understand correctly I can put in a 2.5 drive as long as I have a case?
You can also turn your pi into a handheld console with stuff like the gpi and waveshare gamehat.

I've got one with a waveshare gamehat.
adamnsu17/12/2019 14:56

so if I understand correctly I can put in a 2.5 drive as long as I have a …so if I understand correctly I can put in a 2.5 drive as long as I have a case?

Case for pi is different to case for hd. You're turning an internal 2.5" drive into external. If you've a spare external you could just use that.
You can use a PS4 controller. Setting it up via bluetooth is a bit hit and miss, but it does work.

I like the 32GB Dynamo Elite image. There are several reviews on YouTube, including one on DrewTalks' channel. That image is for the Pi 3B and 3B+.

I've been doing some research on the Pi 4 and from what I've read, for RetroPie, you will probably be okay with the 1GB version -
retropie.org.uk/for…r/2
reddit.com/r/R…or/

As m1keyp1key said, RetroPie isn't officially out for the Raspberry Pi 4 at the moment, but there are ways to install it.
Edited by: "AJB1971" 17th Dec 2019
AJB197117/12/2019 15:43

You can use a PS4 controller. Setting it up is a bit hit and miss, but it …You can use a PS4 controller. Setting it up is a bit hit and miss, but it does work.I like the 32GB Dynamo Elite image. There are several reviews on YouTube, including one on DrewTalks' channel. That image is for the Pi 3B and 3B+.I've been doing some research on the Pi 4 and from what I've read, for RetroPie, you will probably be okay with the 1GB version -https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/24302/raspberry-pi-4-does-ram-matter/2https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroPie/comments/cf90sj/raspberry_pi_4_which_memory_option_to_go_for/As m1keyp1key said, RetroPie isn't officially out for the Raspberry Pi 4 at the moment, but there are ways to install it.

Thanks for your response and taking time to research on this. Alot of jargon I am not familiar with (sorry).

What does one mean by image?

What is a RetroPie?
adamnsu17/12/2019 16:05

Thanks for your response and taking time to research on this. Alot of …Thanks for your response and taking time to research on this. Alot of jargon I am not familiar with (sorry). What does one mean by image?What is a RetroPie?

No problem. I got my first Pi a year ago so I know what you’re going through.

Copied from the internet -
RetroPie is a software package for the Raspberry Pi that is based on the Raspbian OS, a Linux distribution. It combines a full suite of tools and utilities that will allow you to quickly and easily run retro game ROMs for various vintage gaming emulators.
retropie.org.uk

The pre-built images are a copy of somebody's version of RetroPie, including the ROMs (games) and various other things they've done to personalise their version - menus, music, etc.

Watch this to see how to install RetroPie -
Edited by: "AJB1971" 17th Dec 2019
AJB197117/12/2019 16:20

No problem. I got my first Pi a year ago so I know what you’re going t …No problem. I got my first Pi a year ago so I know what you’re going through.Copied from the internet -RetroPie is a software package for the Raspberry Pi that is based on the Raspbian OS, a Linux distribution. It combines a full suite of tools and utilities that will allow you to quickly and easily run retro game ROMs for various vintage gaming emulators.https://retropie.org.ukThe pre-built images are a copy of somebody's version of RetroPie, including the ROMs (games) and various other things they've done to personalise their version - menus, music, etc.Watch this to see how to install RetroPie -[Video]

Many thanks! really appreciate your comments and patience. I dont know much about PC and other hardware. Will have a look at this for sure
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions