Raspberry Pi (Raspbmc/OpenElec) Low Voltage

Found 27th Jan 2015
Hi guys,

Have any of you running Raspbmc or OpenElec on a B+ Pi suffered from any low voltage problems ?

I've got a 2A power supply from a recent Amazon deal (included in the kit) & I keep getting that rainbow square in the top right corner of the screen & flashing red light on the Pi.

I've tried both OS & its happening on both I've also tried a USB phone charger & still have the same issue.

I know the warning can be switched off, but I have found the Pi slows down when it occurs, so want to rectify it.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a different PSU (I'm assuming it is that which is causing the problems) - just for reference, the Pi boots up & works fine, although I find it slows down when low on power. I've also just tried it with the wifi USB adapter running (no keyboard/mouse), but with no joy.

Is it worth trying another 2A power supply or can you get a 3A one which will work ?

Thanks
Community Updates
AskRaspberry Pi
18 Comments
what have you got connected to it. if you have loads of high power USB devices, power them off a hub.

anything on the gpio pins or a camera?

normal draw with nothing connected that needs power is less than 1A on the B, even less on the other models.
even overclocked to the standard 1Ghz iirc
Original Poster
bensimmo

what have you got connected to it. if you have loads of high power USB … what have you got connected to it. if you have loads of high power USB devices, power them off a hub.anything on the gpio pins or a camera?normal draw with nothing connected that needs power is less than 1A on the B, even less on the other models.even overclocked to the standard 1Ghz iirc

I had the wifi adapter & a USB dongle (for wireless keyboard & mouse) - thats it. I've since removed the dongle & only have the wifi adapter connected via USB & still get the problem.

Nothing else is connected.

Thanks
I would try another 5v 2a adapter (I got mine from modmypi.com) as alot of issues can be caused by a low quality psu.
Have you tried a "good" quality micro USB cable? I had a lot of trouble with cheap ones I got off ebay. One that came with a phone would be best to try.
Original Poster
j0nnymoe

I would try another 5v 2a adapter (I got mine from modmypi.com) as alot … I would try another 5v 2a adapter (I got mine from modmypi.com) as alot of issues can be caused by a low quality psu.

Thats my next step, but I was wondering if a 2A adapter would be good enough or if I should get a 3A one /

Any recommendations ?
Original Poster
njpugh90

Have you tried a "good" quality micro USB cable? I had a lot of trouble … Have you tried a "good" quality micro USB cable? I had a lot of trouble with cheap ones I got off ebay. One that came with a phone would be best to try.

I've tried the cable I got with my work Samsung mobile & its the same (boots Pi up fine & everything "working", just getting a slowdown at times & the rainbow square still).
My Pi ran fine with a 500mah USB port on a TV.
Original Poster
rev6

My Pi ran fine with a 500mah USB port on a TV.

What were you running on it ? As far as I'm aware, this "rainbow square" was only implemented into the B+ as a warning, so you may have not seen it in earlier versions, although the red power light will still flash when under powered at times.
ChrisUK

What were you running on it ? As far as I'm aware, this "rainbow square" … What were you running on it ? As far as I'm aware, this "rainbow square" was only implemented into the B+ as a warning, so you may have not seen it in earlier versions, although the red power light will still flash when under powered at times.

The rainbow square at startup?
Original Poster
rev6

The rainbow square at startup?

No, its when the OS is running, it pops up & flashes in the top right hand corner of the screen when the voltage drops below a certain level.
Original Poster
Here is the detail:

raspberrypi.org/for…373

The square turns red if the temp goes above 85 degree's & rainbow if the voltage drops below 4.65V
Original Poster
Not my pic, but an example of a Voltage drop on the B+ (top right hand corner of the screen)

http://i.imgur.com/673Qw1i.jpg
i run mine on a 800ma max supply on occasions without issues so I would guess it's not a good supply (voltage issue or not really 2a)
ChrisUK

Thats my next step, but I was wondering if a 2A adapter would be good … Thats my next step, but I was wondering if a 2A adapter would be good enough or if I should get a 3A one /Any recommendations ?

2A is more than enough, the Pi only really needs 700mA/1A
Did you solve this at all?
Original Poster
bensimmo

Did you solve this at all?

I've tried 3 different leads mate & they all give me the low voltage icon & slowdown.

I've asked several times & no one has provided a link to a cable/plug whixh is guaranteed to work.
I would be tempted to drop Into the PI forums and ask in there, this is just a deals site after all.
It may be a bigger problem.

Also get the PI2 while you are at it now, but it does drain more than the PI B+.

My HUDL and NEXUS are both decent 2A providers and I run mine overclocked at 1GHz. (The default overclock option they now allow). But I've not run openelec etc, just lots of other GPS, 3axis etc devices attached.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants