Rat droppings and urine on my motorbike, how do I disinfect?

Posted 29th Oct
I’ve jetwashed the motorbike and the bike smells of urine so I’m not sure where it’s coming from. I think rats were treating it as a hotel or they were letting me know what they think about my bike by pooping on it. What disinfectant can I use on the engine and and plastics without damaging it? Thanks
3319173-Kz8zx.jpg
3319173-MObp8.jpg
3319173-OWAdk.jpg
3319173-EHsU9.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I would check your bike's odometer, they might have been taking it out for night time rides.
38834242-nlQd2.jpg
25 Comments
I would reckon a mild bleach solution in warm soapy water.
This is a long shot as not sure if it works on rats, but a few vets told me to get rid of dog urine and stop them going back to same place, wash the area with biological washing powder/liquid, any brand, any price, as long as its biological. Apparently this removes odour, whereas disinfectant/bleach etc has ammonia in them which makes the dog think another animal has been there. Hope it works.
cicobuff29/10/2019 13:23

I would reckon a mild bleach solution in warm soapy water.

Would this not damage the colour in the bike or fade the black?
Be careful with rat urine, it has the potential to carry some nasty diseases.

Buying some traps might be a good idea
Edited by: "4Real2016" 29th Oct
bluebell4329/10/2019 13:26

This is a long shot as not sure if it works on rats, but a few vets told …This is a long shot as not sure if it works on rats, but a few vets told me to get rid of dog urine and stop them going back to same place, wash the area with biological washing powder/liquid, any brand, any price, as long as its biological. Apparently this removes odour, whereas disinfectant/bleach etc has ammonia in them which makes the dog think another animal has been there. Hope it works.

I’ll get a bucket of water and soap powder and swill the area and see if this deters them. I hope they haven’t chewed through any cables
jayonline8529/10/2019 13:31

Would this not damage the colour in the bike or fade the black?

Not if it is a mild solution, you would surely want to disinfect, but not aggressively.
jayonline8529/10/2019 13:33

I’ll get a bucket of water and soap powder and swill the area and see if t …I’ll get a bucket of water and soap powder and swill the area and see if this deters them. I hope they haven’t chewed through any cables

ouch hope they haven't either, that would be a huge cost.
Not to put too finer point on it but JUST disinfectant. Ordinary household disinfectant (Poundland will do) in some warm water. Not too diluted either as I'm sure you won't be licking your bike anytime soon. keep it fairly strong.

Not sure what else you'd need really but whatever you do - wear some latex/rubber/marigold gloves. Weil's disease is no laughing matter. Mind you, if you've already washed down with soapy water, most of it will be gone. You're still right to disinfect though.

Get some traps/poison down in your garage for the future, eh?

Kind regards, Phsy.
I would check your bike's odometer, they might have been taking it out for night time rides.
38834242-nlQd2.jpg
Phsycronix29/10/2019 15:00

Not to put too finer point on it but JUST disinfectant. Ordinary household …Not to put too finer point on it but JUST disinfectant. Ordinary household disinfectant (Poundland will do) in some warm water. Not too diluted either as I'm sure you won't be licking your bike anytime soon. keep it fairly strong.Not sure what else you'd need really but whatever you do - wear some latex/rubber/marigold gloves. Weil's disease is no laughing matter. Mind you, if you've already washed down with soapy water, most of it will be gone. You're still right to disinfect though.Get some traps/poison down in your garage for the future, eh? Kind regards, Phsy.

I was thinking that but then wasn’t sure whether that would be safe to use on plastics.

They’ve been all nice and snug under my motorcycle cover that I only just paid £30 for

Thanks Phsy
bluebell4329/10/2019 13:49

ouch hope they haven't either, that would be a huge cost.

The FI ( fuel injection ) light is on so I’ve just dropped it off at the garage. Hoping they haven’t caused this
jayonline8529/10/2019 15:50

The FI ( fuel injection ) light is on so I’ve just dropped it off at the g …The FI ( fuel injection ) light is on so I’ve just dropped it off at the garage. Hoping they haven’t caused this

Fair play, they done a right number on your bike. another long shot but if someone in your area is causing rat problems ie leaving rubbish un-bagged etc, you may be able to claim off the council (environment dept). Worth a try, what you got to lose.
jayonline8529/10/2019 13:33

I’ll get a bucket of water and soap powder and swill the area and see if t …I’ll get a bucket of water and soap powder and swill the area and see if this deters them. I hope they haven’t chewed through any cables

Dont use soap powder or at least keep it away from any aluminum parts as it can cause surface corrosion (found this out trying to clean the varnish from a carb bowl once - glad it was only the bowl and I had spare parts carb)

The FI ( fuel injection ) light is on so I’ve just dropped it off at the g …The FI ( fuel injection ) light is on so I’ve just dropped it off at the garage. Hoping they haven’t caused this

Was just about to say check the wiring, they love modern vehicle wiring as its some sort of soy based covering - YES REALLYY!!!

Plenty of google results too that show its not just the smack rats having a nibble at bike ignitions
harlzter29/10/2019 16:29

Was just about to say check the wiring, they love modern vehicle wiring as …Was just about to say check the wiring, they love modern vehicle wiring as its some sort of soy based covering - YES REALLYY!!!Plenty of google results too that show its not just the smack rats having a nibble at bike ignitions

When you said smack rats I thought you was referring to these
38835840-GmzCX.jpg
Zoflora

I hope you warned the poor mechanic. He'll be tucking in to his afternoon break and licking his fingers after touching your bike!

Anyhoo, last time I checked, household disinfectant doesn't usually contain any serious 'caustic' ingredients - otherwise it would have eaten a massive hole in my bath years ago. Hehe. Any doubt, just rinse off after with clean water. Now as for bleach - that's why I didn't recommend you use that. If you do, I wouldn't use more than a tablespoon in a bucket of water. Remember the term "bleach blonde?" If it stings on your skin - acid within...

Now, if you want a nice "white" motorcycle, brush all the surfaces in hydrogen peroxide and leave it out in the sun for a few hours! Hehe. Seriously though: DON'T DO THAT.
jayonline8529/10/2019 16:49

When you said smack rats I thought you was referring to these [Image]

I was!
To the OP take a look at Milton perhaps. Old fashioned elbow grease should do the job but you may have missed areas? Never underestimate just how small a gap those furry nightmares can squeeze into. Good luck and call your local council to deal with the aforementioned fur balls!
jayonline8530/10/2019 08:04

I have a cat. Would this effect it?

I have just read Q&A and safe to use round dogs and cats, shouldn't effect them.
The link was just 1 brand, google rat repellant and lots of options. We have used one for years.
michellepoohhouse30/10/2019 08:10

I have just read Q&A and safe to use round dogs and cats, shouldn't effect …I have just read Q&A and safe to use round dogs and cats, shouldn't effect them.The link was just 1 brand, google rat repellant and lots of options. We have used one for years.

Check they haven't set up home in your exhaust!
michellepoohhouse30/10/2019 08:10

I have just read Q&A and safe to use round dogs and cats, shouldn't effect …I have just read Q&A and safe to use round dogs and cats, shouldn't effect them.The link was just 1 brand, google rat repellant and lots of options. We have used one for years.

Thanks, sorry that was lazy of me. I’m going to buy one today. I’m also going to send these pics to the council as the entry is overrun. Lazy people who can’t be bothered going to get their wheelie bin so they throw the rubbish outside their backdoor
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants