Expired

Rat infestation in house the legal stance

Found 27th Jan 2015
Has anybody had at rat infestation in their house, which has most likely been caused by the next door neighbour's combination of defective brickwork and reluctance to cease feeding both birds and wildlife, has anybody had to resort to legal proceeding in respect of damage caused to their property, and also does anybody know if you would be covered by house insurance for fire damage caused by rats gnawing electrical cables.

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
Ask
28 Comments
Is this covered by environmental health ?
Original Poster
kester76

Is this covered by environmental health ?

We have been in contact with the Environmental health and have approached said neighbour with their recommendations, but it was not well received, and they are not willing to change their stance. Now awaiting Environmental health to pay us a visit, they have told us they can enforce restrictions if neighbours refuse to comply.
If you get in touch with environmental health they will serve a notic stating that they must 'within a reasonable timescale' take the relevant action against pests. There is legeslation for this sort of thing,
Had the same issue last year. Neighbours with holes in their bricks, ignoring anything. Environment health officer wasnt much use. All they did was sending multiple letters to them which they just ignored. Thankfully they moved out at the end of the last year and the owner of the house fixed all the holes.. No rats since then. Hopefully your Environment officer would be more helpful so definitely contact them and good luck.
Original Poster
monyka

Had the same issue last year. Neighbours with holes in their bricks, … Had the same issue last year. Neighbours with holes in their bricks, ignoring anything. Environment health officer wasnt much use. All they did was sending multiple letters to them which they just ignored. Thankfully they moved out at the end of the last year and the owner of the house fixed all the holes.. No rats since then. Hopefully your Environment officer would be more helpful so definitely contact them and good luck.

Maybe your ex neighbours are now my next door neighbours, I fear they will not be moving out anytime soon, as they have only recently moved in.
Our upstairs neighbours persistently flooded our last flat (water pouring through the ceiling from midnight til 4am EVERY night). When they refused to give the plumber that our landlord sent access we got environmental health involved who issued a notice to their landlord saying they had 28 days to fix it or the council would fix it and chase them for the costs. I imagine something similar would happen here?
I would have thought that there should be no holes between you and next-door! Or else fire would spread between buildings. I would buy an air rifle and just throw the dead rats in their garden. No wait I'm already doing that with my neighbours ;-)
Original Poster
pat915m

I would have thought that there should be no holes between you and … I would have thought that there should be no holes between you and next-door! Or else fire would spread between buildings. I would buy an air rifle and just throw the dead rats in their garden. No wait I'm already doing that with my neighbours ;-)

That thought had crossed my mind already, but I was thinking off a bigger prey.
Original Poster
sparky111091

Our upstairs neighbours persistently flooded our last flat (water pouring … Our upstairs neighbours persistently flooded our last flat (water pouring through the ceiling from midnight til 4am EVERY night). When they refused to give the plumber that our landlord sent access we got environmental health involved who issued a notice to their landlord saying they had 28 days to fix it or the council would fix it and chase them for the costs. I imagine something similar would happen here?

Guy we spoke to said they can enforce them to comply or they could take them to court and a possible £5000 fine, but he had never taken this action so how much of a deterrent for non compliance this threat will be is debatable.
Something I learned a long time ago is not to ask your neighbours to do something because they won't and they then know it bothers you. Thing is to be is all smiles and engineer a way for them to sort things thinking it's all been their idea. Too late for you I'm sorry to say you've shown your hand. But also sorry to say there always a next time. Hence dead flying rats ;-)
Original Poster
pat915m

Something I learned a long time ago is not to ask your neighbours to do … Something I learned a long time ago is not to ask your neighbours to do something because they won't and they then know it bothers you. Thing is to be is all smiles and engineer a way for them to sort things thinking it's all been their idea. Too late for you I'm sorry to say you've shown your hand. But also sorry to say there always a next time. Hence dead flying rats ;-)

Unfortunately we had already bought this to my neighbours attention 3 months ago and then again 6 weeks ago when we started to hear rats in the loft, I was assured they where going to deal with the rat problem by using humane traps( not my method of choice but as the hole is on their land I had no choice) but after nearly 3 months the traps where sitting doing nothing and numerous rats fully grown an young where observed coming too and thro into the hole, hence we contacted Environmental health and are only following their initial advice to ask them to cease all feeding, if this fails the agency said they will step in.
reaper1951

Guy we spoke to said they can enforce them to comply or they could take … Guy we spoke to said they can enforce them to comply or they could take them to court and a possible £5000 fine, but he had never taken this action so how much of a deterrent for non compliance this threat will be is debatable.

You would think with something like rats where there's a threat of disease etc the council will hopefully be quite firm and get it dealt with quickly, good luck!
Original Poster
sparky111091

You would think with something like rats where there's a threat of … You would think with something like rats where there's a threat of disease etc the council will hopefully be quite firm and get it dealt with quickly, good luck!

According to my neighbour rats do NOT carry diseases the NOT in caps to emphasis her point, when we mentioned leptospirosis or Weil's disease the reply we got back was only 3 people die a year from it in the UK, so basically it so insignificant it doesn't really count. This I think this hi lights the
Original Poster
problem we are facing.
From experience home insurance does not cover pet or vermin damage even to wiring. We got a rat in our house which got under the kitchen units. it ate the wiring of our 2 week old dishwasher and then made a nest inside the back of our range cooker. It ate the wires inside the cooker also. we spent a month trying to catch it and even had a local rat catcher involved. He had 17 massive rat traps under the units and put some tracking dust down to see where it was running. In the end we actually lifted the cooker into the yard and as we suspected it was inside. We removed the back or the cooker and the rat shot out. So after a month it lived.
Original Poster
centurion

From experience home insurance does not cover pet or vermin damage even … From experience home insurance does not cover pet or vermin damage even to wiring. We got a rat in our house which got under the kitchen units. it ate the wiring of our 2 week old dishwasher and then made a nest inside the back of our range cooker. It ate the wires inside the cooker also. we spent a month trying to catch it and even had a local rat catcher involved. He had 17 massive rat traps under the units and put some tracking dust down to see where it was running. In the end we actually lifted the cooker into the yard and as we suspected it was inside. We removed the back or the cooker and the rat shot out. So after a month it lived.

We have many rats entering the property, how we get rid of them is a daunting task, I just hope we rid them before they do to much damage. if insurance does not cover it, is there any likelyhood of successfully suing the neighbour for compensation, worst case scenario being a house fire.
Original Poster
moob

See this - Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949

Many thanks, Environmental health had mentioned this to us, but we are still waiting for them to get back in touch with us.
There's a rat in my kitchen what am I gonna do?
There's a rat in my kitchen what am I gonna go?
I'm gonna fix that rat that's what I'm gonna do
I'm gonna fix that rat
transit

There's a rat in my kitchen what am I gonna do?There's a rat in my … There's a rat in my kitchen what am I gonna do?There's a rat in my kitchen what am I gonna go?I'm gonna fix that rat that's what I'm gonna doI'm gonna fix that rat

I sang that song to my wife when we had the rat. She said she had never heard that song. I think she missed the 80s
Original Poster
centurion

I sang that song to my wife when we had the rat. She said she had never … I sang that song to my wife when we had the rat. She said she had never heard that song. I think she missed the 80s

Just wish you were the pied piper, you could charm the rats out of my kitchen with that song, even if you could not charm your wife. Pied piper being a song of the sixties
Last few nights, around 2/3am we have been woken by strange noises coming from our ceiling. Right next to where we have just had some pointing done. I looked outside and seen a bird fly away from the spot the noise is coming from. Not sure what to do. Worried incase chicks have been trapped inside after the pointing (there were very big gaps). Or could it be something else, like the dreaded rat? We live in a terraced 2 story house.
Original Poster
reaper1951

Just wish you were the pied piper, you could charm the rats out of my … Just wish you were the pied piper, you could charm the rats out of my kitchen with that song, even if you could not charm your wife. Pied piper being a song of the sixties

Also contacted my insurance broker today and you are correct is saying that rat damage is not covered on my policy
Original Poster
Angel_Of_The_North

Last few nights, around 2/3am we have been woken by strange noises coming … Last few nights, around 2/3am we have been woken by strange noises coming from our ceiling. Right next to where we have just had some pointing done. I looked outside and seen a bird fly away from the spot the noise is coming from. Not sure what to do. Worried incase chicks have been trapped inside after the pointing (there were very big gaps). Or could it be something else, like the dreaded rat? We live in a terraced 2 story house.

Hope for your sake it is not the dreaded rat, as for me and my rat problem its becoming an obsession and I am loosing sleep over it, I lay in bed listening for the slightest sound and I would not wish that on anybody, except my neighbour of course.
Angel_Of_The_North

Last few nights, around 2/3am we have been woken by strange noises coming … Last few nights, around 2/3am we have been woken by strange noises coming from our ceiling. Right next to where we have just had some pointing done. I looked outside and seen a bird fly away from the spot the noise is coming from. Not sure what to do. Worried incase chicks have been trapped inside after the pointing (there were very big gaps). Or could it be something else, like the dreaded rat? We live in a terraced 2 story house.

Worried incase chicks have been trapped inside after the pointing. Not the season for chicks
centurion

I sang that song to my wife when we had the rat. She said she had never … I sang that song to my wife when we had the rat. She said she had never heard that song. I think she missed the 80s

Probably too much red red wine.
The wife knew red red wine and also knew of the band UB40 just that song passed her by. Her excuse was she was pregnant in the 80s (some excuse that is)
centurion

The wife knew red red wine and also knew of the band UB40 just that song … The wife knew red red wine and also knew of the band UB40 just that song passed her by. Her excuse was she was pregnant in the 80s (some excuse that is)

Pregnant by the guy from Kingston Town ?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants