Re-pressurise Potterton combi boiler

Posted 2nd NovEdited by:"mutley1"
I have a Potterton Promax 24 HE combination boiler that I would like to re-pressurise but I don't know where the water inlet for the boiler is from the pic.

Anyone have knowledge of which of these pipes are the water inlet to the boiler, which I should open to feed water in?

There is an arrow drawn on the wall where that back pipe is located, which has a screw valve. I am assuming this is the water inlet? Also I should turn it anti-clockwise to allow water entry into the boiler, yes?

There seems to be 2 screws there, one on top of the other, both could be turned. Seems odd to have 2 screws on one valve?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
mutley102/11/2019 20:26

thanks. i have found an email from my tenant at the time when the boiler …thanks. i have found an email from my tenant at the time when the boiler was last re-pressurised and he said that british gas said the filling pipe is under the kitchen sink? i will have a look when i next go there but can this be so? at a really odd place like that and if so why?

Why do you ignore every one of my questions mutters?

Seriously, if you continue ignoring me I'm just gonna stop coming in your threads
mutley102/11/2019 18:23

i recollect i had asked him to do so after he had fitted it so i was …i recollect i had asked him to do so after he had fitted it so i was expecting the filling loop to be there but it wasn't when i looked for it.

You surely have a case for legal action against the plumber right there. That's despicable behaviour. I reckon he must have thought you were a bit of a dimwit so thought he could get away with it

mutley102/11/2019 18:51

no, you can't sue a plumber for not fitting a filling loop as apparently …no, you can't sue a plumber for not fitting a filling loop as apparently it is not a requirement when a boiler is installed

I disagree. If he told you he would leave it then a verbal contract has been made and should be honoured. Don't let him get away with this mutters.
Edited by: "deeky" 2nd Nov
deeky02/11/2019 20:29

if you continue ignoring me I'm just gonna stop coming in your threads

Sad times when mutters has to resort to necro bumping his own threads as no imagination left for fresh trolling
100 Comments
7615409221572715434.jpg4698015621572715478.jpg12071901481572715517.jpg
Most likely you need to turn two of the black knobs, but I wouldn't go turning anything unless you know what you're doing. You'll hear the boiler fill and need to watch the pressure gauge. Overfill and you'll have problems.
JimboParrot02/11/2019 17:39

Most likely you need to turn two of the black knobs, but I wouldn't go …Most likely you need to turn two of the black knobs, but I wouldn't go turning anything unless you know what you're doing. You'll hear the boiler fill and need to watch the pressure gauge. Overfill and you'll have problems.

i am not unfamiliar with re-pressurising a combi boiler. i have done it several times but never on this one so i just don't know which inlet to turn as they can be different on different set up. i was hoping someone would be familiar with how these pipes are connected so they can tell from looking at the connections, where the inlet pipe is.

i was expecting to see a filling loop but there is not one fitted on this boiler.
38886508-D6oPY.jpg
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 2nd Nov
The filling loop is missing but you can see above what it looks like.

If you Google - potterton promax 24 he pressure

The top result is a pdf of the manual
ScubaDudes02/11/2019 17:56

The filling loop is missing but you can see above what it looks like.If …The filling loop is missing but you can see above what it looks like.If you Google - potterton promax 24 he pressureThe top result is a pdf of the manual

i have the user manual so i can see on there that the filling loop needs to be connected before i can re-pressurise the boiler. i need to find this filling loop as it appear it needs to be attached before the boiler can be re-pressurised.
Was the boiler fitted recently?
Video showing what the missing filling loop looks like

Loop on ebay, possibly correct for yours

rover.ebay.com/rov…336
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 2nd Nov
JimboParrot02/11/2019 18:07

Was the boiler fitted recently?

no, it has been there a while now but i have never had to re-pressurise the boiler. i need to bleed the radiators so i will need to re-pressurise the boiler as this will cause a drop in the boiler pressure.
£15.00 here on eBay 283650397091

What kind of cowboy fitted your boiler.
bigwheels02/11/2019 18:20

£15.00 here on eBay 283650397091What kind of cowboy fitted your boiler.

i read that the plumber do not always leave a filling loop. i recollect i had asked him to do so after he had fitted it so i was expecting the filling loop to be there but it wasn't when i looked for it. i can only think it has been removed when the boiler was serviced, but i can't see why it would be removed. or he didn't connect but just left the filling look nearby and it has gone missing.
It's best practice to remove the filling loop to stop back flow from happening.
I’ve dealt 3 boilers, the first and alpha it just had a short shower hose to refill it.
Second a valiant had a tiny little silver key, Hard to replace key so need to check plumber doesn’t pinch it.
Now I have an ideal with a filling loop like yours.
Only found it last week when pressure had dropped.
I hope you get it sorted.
Disraeli02/11/2019 18:35

Comment deleted

no, you can't sue a plumber for not fitting a filling loop as apparently it is not a requirement when a boiler is installed as the filling loop can be a tool that gas engineers will have to fill the boiler or you can buy one yourself quite cheaply.
Edited by: "mutley1" 2nd Nov
When it was fitted did they not run through it with you explaining what to do when the pressure dropped?
bigwheels02/11/2019 18:39

I’ve dealt 3 boilers, the first and alpha it just had a short shower hose t …I’ve dealt 3 boilers, the first and alpha it just had a short shower hose to refill it.Second a valiant had a tiny little silver key, Hard to replace key so need to check plumber doesn’t pinch it.Now I have an ideal with a filling loop like yours.Only found it last week when pressure had dropped.I hope you get it sorted.

i have a few boilers but i don't always have to do anything with them. some boilers do not have a filling loop and only a screw valve to fill the boiler. we have one installed at our home last year and that had an internal valve under the boiler itself that fills the boiler. when i get new boilers installed in future, i will make sure i get one which has an internal filling valve. this makes it simpler to re-pressurise the boiler.
JimboParrot02/11/2019 18:54

When it was fitted did they not run through it with you explaining what to …When it was fitted did they not run through it with you explaining what to do when the pressure dropped?

i wasn't there when it was installed. in fact no one was there. i gave the plumber a key to the house and he just did it and then dropped the keys back through the letterbox. british gas has shown my tenant how to re-pressurise the boiler since then but he has moved out and i forgot to ask him to show me.
mutley102/11/2019 18:23

i recollect i had asked him to do so after he had fitted it so i was …i recollect i had asked him to do so after he had fitted it so i was expecting the filling loop to be there but it wasn't when i looked for it.

You surely have a case for legal action against the plumber right there. That's despicable behaviour. I reckon he must have thought you were a bit of a dimwit so thought he could get away with it

mutley102/11/2019 18:51

no, you can't sue a plumber for not fitting a filling loop as apparently …no, you can't sue a plumber for not fitting a filling loop as apparently it is not a requirement when a boiler is installed

I disagree. If he told you he would leave it then a verbal contract has been made and should be honoured. Don't let him get away with this mutters.
Follow the pipework down a bit. You will find a silver flexible pipe somewhere else. There is no filling loop near the pictures you have posted so most likely further away from the boiler. Potteron never used to supply the built in filling loops with there boilers. Only started providing them a few years ago. So know they come supplied and would fit up the top.
Edited by: "kash2013" 2nd Nov
ScubaDudes02/11/2019 17:53

[Image]

This filling loop is supplied with the later boilers. It's not the filing loop the opp
Don't turn those black handles off as they will stop the water to the boiler. Leave them open as you have in the pictures
ScubaDudes02/11/2019 17:53

[Image]

This filling loop is supplied with the later boilers. It's not the filing loop the opp has
Also that gas pipe looks incorrect. Should be 22mm to the boiler. But they have 15mm then going to a 22 reducer. I doubt the person that fitted the boiler is gas Safe or even competent. As normally a good plumber is neat and the gas pipe is 22mm. Using a 15mm gas pipe can cause the boiler to misfire when starting up when it requires a large flow of gas. Just advising
Edited by: "kash2013" 2nd Nov
While I'm here . Pipes should be cross bonded to provide earthing
Must be one of mutley’s many million pound houses. I wish I could install pipe work that neatly.
kash201302/11/2019 20:04

Also that gas pipe looks incorrect. Should be 22mm to the boiler. But …Also that gas pipe looks incorrect. Should be 22mm to the boiler. But they have 15mm then going to a 22 reducer. I doubt the person that fitted the boiler is gas Safe or even competent. As normally a good plumber is neat and the gas pipe is 22mm. Using a 15mm gas pipe can cause the boiler to misfire when starting up when it requires a large flow of gas. Just advising

he is a gas safe registered engineer and he has fitted a few boilers for me without any problems. i don't think he does a great job as you say but the boilers work. i find that being gas safe registered doesn't mean that you will do a good job. i have come across a few gas safe registered engineers and their work is shoddy, not dangerous but just not very well done.
mutley102/11/2019 20:17

he is a gas safe registered engineer and he has fitted a few boilers for …he is a gas safe registered engineer and he has fitted a few boilers for me without any problems. i don't think he does a great job as you say but the boilers work.

38887751-mIJMI.jpg

Can you just clear that up mutters? He doesn't do a great job but the boilers work, and he's fitted a few for you?

So I guess he's really cheap then?
kash201302/11/2019 19:54

Follow the pipework down a bit. You will find a silver flexible pipe …Follow the pipework down a bit. You will find a silver flexible pipe somewhere else. There is no filling loop near the pictures you have posted so most likely further away from the boiler. Potteron never used to supply the built in filling loops with there boilers. Only started providing them a few years ago. So know they come supplied and would fit up the top.

thanks. i have found an email from my tenant at the time when the boiler was last re-pressurised and he said that british gas said the filling pipe is under the kitchen sink?

i will have a look when i next go there but can this be so? at a really odd place like that and if so why?
mutley102/11/2019 20:26

thanks. i have found an email from my tenant at the time when the boiler …thanks. i have found an email from my tenant at the time when the boiler was last re-pressurised and he said that british gas said the filling pipe is under the kitchen sink? i will have a look when i next go there but can this be so? at a really odd place like that and if so why?

Why do you ignore every one of my questions mutters?

Seriously, if you continue ignoring me I'm just gonna stop coming in your threads
mutley102/11/2019 20:17

he is a gas safe registered engineer and he has fitted a few boilers for …he is a gas safe registered engineer and he has fitted a few boilers for me without any problems. i don't think he does a great job as you say but the boilers work. i find that being gas safe registered doesn't mean that you will do a good job. i have come across a few gas safe registered engineers and their work is shoddy, not dangerous but just not very well done.

The idea if gas Safe is that the installer can be held accountable for bad workmanship. You may think because his gas Safe that what ever he is doing is acceptable. But I believe if you reported the matter to gas Safe they would inspect his work and find it below what they accept. Lots of people are gas Safe registered that get removed everyday for bad workmanship.
kash201302/11/2019 20:34

The idea if gas Safe is that the installer can be held accountable for bad …The idea if gas Safe is that the installer can be held accountable for bad workmanship. You may think because his gas Safe that what ever he is doing is acceptable. But I believe if you reported the matter to gas Safe they would inspect his work and find it below what they accept. Lots of people are gas Safe registered that get removed everyday for bad workmanship.

it appears to me that it is far too easy to become gas safe as i have come across a few gas safe engineers who are not very good so i have learnt that just because they are gas safe registered does not necessarily mean they are any better with plumbing than another plumber who is not gas safe registered. it just simply means that they can install boilers but i don't know if gas safe requires that their plumbing skills are high?

he may not have done the pipework as i employed him to replace a broken boiler. the pipework may have been like that and so he simply fitted the new boiler to work with the existing plumbing works. as long as the boiler works, he probably doesn't think the existing plumbing needs changing as that would mean additional costs that are not necessary.
When the boiler was fitted did you get a building regulations compliance certificate ?.
You will need one if you sell the property.
bigwheels02/11/2019 20:48

When the boiler was fitted did you get a building regulations compliance …When the boiler was fitted did you get a building regulations compliance certificate ?.You will need one if you sell the property.

yes. he is a registered gas safe engineer so he issued all the paperwork required. it is an old boiler now as it was fitted in 2012 so by the time i get round to selling the house, another boiler would be there as i doubt this boiler will last that much longer.
That looks pretty bad for a installation what are them rags doing, looks like the boiler had some kind of a problem with the filling and someone has put that double screw type thing in too use as a filling loop. Looks like it's been leaking in past from the top or is that black valve not on the same pipe.
kash201302/11/2019 20:04

Also that gas pipe looks incorrect. Should be 22mm to the boiler. But …Also that gas pipe looks incorrect. Should be 22mm to the boiler. But they have 15mm then going to a 22 reducer. I doubt the person that fitted the boiler is gas Safe or even competent. As normally a good plumber is neat and the gas pipe is 22mm. Using a 15mm gas pipe can cause the boiler to misfire when starting up when it requires a large flow of gas. Just advising

22mm pipe is only a recommendation. It is the gas pressure that is the measure if it is safe or not.
My guess is that the 15mm gas pipe runs through a concrete floor so would be a nightmare to upgrade which is why a 24kw system boiler was fitted in 2012.

If/when a major renovation is done to the house a 22mm (or even 28mm) gas pipe will be installed and a higher power combi boiler fitted.
Hope this isn’t the same plumber you used for that pipe work a few weeks ago, might be time to change them.
GAVINLEWISHUKD02/11/2019 21:43

22mm pipe is only a recommendation. It is the gas pressure that is the …22mm pipe is only a recommendation. It is the gas pressure that is the measure if it is safe or not. My guess is that the 15mm gas pipe runs through a concrete floor so would be a nightmare to upgrade which is why a 24kw system boiler was fitted in 2012.If/when a major renovation is done to the house a 22mm (or even 28mm) gas pipe will be installed and a higher power combi boiler fitted.

the house only has two bedrooms so 24kw is adequate. i think it does have a concrete floor though
eslick02/11/2019 22:49

Hope this isn’t the same plumber you used for that pipe work a few weeks a …Hope this isn’t the same plumber you used for that pipe work a few weeks ago, might be time to change them.

no, the recent guy only works in surrey. this guy only covers london. i haven't had to use his services for several years now as the last boiler was installed by british gas. plumbers who cover surrey dont tend to work in london and vice versa
mutley102/11/2019 23:01

no, the recent guy only works in surrey. this guy only covers london. i …no, the recent guy only works in surrey. this guy only covers london. i haven't had to use his services for several years now as the last boiler was installed by british gas. plumbers who cover surrey dont tend to work in london and vice versa

then you don’t have any luck with plumbers
MynameisM02/11/2019 21:32

That looks pretty bad for a installation what are them rags doing, looks …That looks pretty bad for a installation what are them rags doing, looks like the boiler had some kind of a problem with the filling and someone has put that double screw type thing in too use as a filling loop. Looks like it's been leaking in past from the top or is that black valve not on the same pipe.

black valve not on the same pipe. if you look at the third photo, you will see it is an end cap.
the previous boiler leaked as old boilers tend to do. it has was replaced with this one. i haven't bothered to remove the cloths from the pipe, which was probably left there when the previous boiler leaked.
Edited by: "mutley1" 2nd Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants