Re Travel to Normandy.

Found 9th Jun
hello , thinking of traveling to Normandy or elsewhere in France. Looking for low cost options so that can travel at short notice.

Any ideas , traveling with an elderly gentleman looking for a short break in France.
Community Updates
AskTravel
16 Comments
EasyJet fly Southend to Charles de Gaulle a few days a week, probably get return flights for under £100 each if thinking about going in the next few weeks. From CDG you can then get a train across to Normandy.
Taking the ferry might work out cheaper, but the cost of fuel and the length of time it will take I would fly
Do you know the nearest airports to where you want to stay
Just thinking about a short trip to France. I love France. Elderly Gentleman never been to France. So something affordable for a few days. Eurostar would be great.
Southend airport would be convenient.
kevessex1 h, 43 m ago

Just thinking about a short trip to France. I love France. Elderly …Just thinking about a short trip to France. I love France. Elderly Gentleman never been to France. So something affordable for a few days. Eurostar would be great.

go on eurostar to paris then
or try easyjet city breaks to FRANCE (from £110 per person)

easyjet.com/en/…s=&
Yes that's seems a good idea. I wonder if there's anything for late Eurostar holidays. I got to think of the traveling for the elderly gentleman. Normandy would have been great but Brittany Ferries are quite expensive. Old guys paying for the break so I want to keep the costs down.
i’ve just had a quick look on Eurostar and for train times mid morning and late afternoon they appear to be more expensive than EasyJet. Plus you’ve got to get to St. Pancras (remembering the train fare). It’s going to take you over 5 hours to get to Paris plus the onward journey. If the old boy would fly then I think that’s the way to go.
See I need to book at the last minute because I'm in Scotland and my friend is in East London. It would be his first time in France. I think he would love the restaurants.
We did this a few years ago and we drove. Went down to Dover and stayed in a Travelodge then took the ferry the following morning. It was a fairly easy drive down to Normandy from there. We went to visit all the WW2 sites. Very interesting holiday.
Travelling with an elderly person, I'd avoid trains and planes due to the walking involved at any big terminus. Car to Portsmouth and a relaxing and civilised Brittany ferry to Caen.
Eurostar and Air get you to Paris which is a fair old trot back to Normandy.
Alternative, LD Lines overnight ferry Portsmouth to La Havre and base yourself in Honfleur for a few days.
airbus33010th Jun

Travelling with an elderly person, I'd avoid trains and planes due to the …Travelling with an elderly person, I'd avoid trains and planes due to the walking involved at any big terminus. Car to Portsmouth and a relaxing and civilised Brittany ferry to Caen. Eurostar and Air get you to Paris which is a fair old trot back to Normandy.Alternative, LD Lines overnight ferry Portsmouth to La Havre and base yourself in Honfleur for a few days.

Thanks for that. I love Caen.

I was thinking of Trouville and Deauville but don't know the best and easiest way to get there.
kevessex3 h, 49 m ago

Thanks for that. I love Caen. I was thinking of Trouville and Deauville …Thanks for that. I love Caen. I was thinking of Trouville and Deauville but don't know the best and easiest way to get there.

I think ferry and car is the only realistic way. There is an air service from Lydd in Kent (Lydd Air) to Le Touquet , but it is only twice a week on a small aircraft.
Brittany Ferries are great but so expensive.
Last suggestion, depending on how mobile your gentleman is. Go as a foot passenger on the Brittany Ferry to St Malo. Its a lovely old walled town plenty to see. While Brittany is expensive, so do get a much nicer experience than the others, foot pax is the cheapest option with them. Best of luck.
Extra last suggestion, Just seen Ryanair fly Stansted to Deauville, Normandy.
Might be worth a look perhaps?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants