Groups

Read this before you buy a car - new or secondhand - MOT test failure rates, car by car

Released by VOSA (very reluctantly) after a Freedom of Information Act request by the BBC:

bbc.co.uk/blo…tml (Clickable link in next post down)

See which makes and models have the lowest and highest MOT failure rates, year by year. The only question is why VOSA had to be forced to release the information!

18 Comments

The only question is why VOSA had to be forced to release the information!

Have you read it?

"The release of information relating to specific make and model would be … "The release of information relating to specific make and model would be likely to be commercially damaging to vehicle manufacturers whose failure rates appear higher, and therefore less favourable, than other manufacturers...this information would be likely to be used by some manufacturers to gain a competitive advantage, for example by publicising that their failure rate is lower than another manufacturer's failure rate for a comparable vehicle model."

i found this story earlier made for interesting reading. had to agree tho about including mileages too as so obvious it played a large part on failure rates!

Hyundai accent 44.7%:shock:

No surprise that Jap cars do well.

Original Poster

The only question is why VOSA had to be forced to release the information!

thesaint;7562526

Have you read it?

"The release of information relating to specific make and model would be … "The release of information relating to specific make and model would be likely to be commercially damaging to vehicle manufacturers whose failure rates appear higher, and therefore less favourable, than other manufacturers...this information would be likely to be used by some manufacturers to gain a competitive advantage, for example by publicising that their failure rate is lower than another manufacturer's failure rate for a comparable vehicle model."

Oh yes - I read it! Wonderful excuse, isn't it? :thumbsup:

Excellent info

Seems Toyota do really well overall................worth considering

iglimpse;7563894

Excellent infoSeems Toyota do really well overall................worth … Excellent infoSeems Toyota do really well overall................worth considering

Whilst I agree with your conclusion, there are hundreds of factors to consider.
    Anyone could tell you that Toyota's are good cars to buy without looking at this chart.

I test about 6/7 cars a day, various makes & they all might fail on bulbs not working or wiper blades not clearing the screen,tyres etc, which are things the car drivers should be checking on a regular basis anyway.

at the moment its coil springs i seem to be failing more of, but not on one particular make of vehicle.

if people had thier cars serviced more regularly then relying on the MOT as a "service" :thinking: then the figures might ring a bit more true !

richp;7564167

I test about 6/7 cars a day, various makes & they all might fail on bulbs … I test about 6/7 cars a day, various makes & they all might fail on bulbs not working or wiper blades not clearing the screen,tyres etc, which are things the car drivers should be checking on a regular basis anyway.at the moment its coil springs i seem to be failing more of, but not on one particular make of vehicle. if people had thier cars serviced more regularly then relying on the MOT as a "service" :thinking: then the figures might ring a bit more true !

is this to do with speed bumps?

michelleleemoo;7564230

No, due to the recession, couples can't afford to stay a night at a hotel.

thesaint;7564243

I dont get it :?

michelleleemoo;7564230

cheap manufacturing processes, coils springs used to have a decent amount of paint on them to stop corrosion, but now they just have a lick of paint on them so when its chipped off, they begin to rust/fracture & yes speed bumps would kill off a cracked coil spring.

michelleleemoo: is this to do with speed bumps?

thesaint;7564243

michelleleemoo;7564254

I dont get it :?

lol, i do :w00t:

richp;7564283

cheap manufacturing processes, coils springs used to have a decent amount … cheap manufacturing processes, coils springs used to have a decent amount of paint on them to stop corrosion, but now they just have a lick of paint on them so when its chipped off, they begin to rust/fracture & yes speed bumps would kill off a cracked coil spring.

My (now dead) clio has had these done each year for the past 3 to pass its mot

richp;7564167

I test about 6/7 cars a day, various makes & they all might fail on bulbs … I test about 6/7 cars a day, various makes & they all might fail on bulbs not working or wiper blades not clearing the screen,tyres etc, which are things the car drivers should be checking on a regular basis anyway.at the moment its coil springs i seem to be failing more of, but not on one particular make of vehicle. if people had thier cars serviced more regularly then relying on the MOT as a "service" :thinking: then the figures might ring a bit more true !

Agree completely, mine failed because the back seat wasn't locked in properly, which in turn locked the middle seatbelt. 2 fail points, seems unfair to bring down the whole Focus figure due to that!!

As someone 'in the business' what else can i do as part of a 'service' i am doing on my car, changing oil and filter, checking all fluid levels, have recently changed wiper blades. Can't think of anything else?

I don't really see the point in these figures as there's simply not enough information to go with them, as the article mentions there's no mileages nor any indication of the severity of the failure.

John

Johnmcl7;7565801

I don't really see the point in these figures as there's simply not … I don't really see the point in these figures as there's simply not enough information to go with them, as the article mentions there's no mileages nor any indication of the severity of the failure.John

It gives tyre kickers something to say when they are negotiating at their local car lot.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Golf DSG GTD Real MPG?69
      2. Need help with buying a 4K TV for gaming11
      3. Sold item on eBay from UK - buyer from USA89
      4. Which Kodi Add-ons?22

See more discussions