Found 26th Dec 2010
Is there any real benefit in using a ready boost drive in Windows 7 (64bit)? Would it be better just to install the total amount of RAM instead?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
7 Comments

Ready boost does nothing due to the slow speed of USB drives ,
How much RAM do you have and why do you think you need extra ?.
Edited by: "tonyg1962" 26th Dec 2010

Original Poster

tonyg1962

Ready boost does nothing due to the slow speed of USB drives ,How much … Ready boost does nothing due to the slow speed of USB drives ,How much RAM do you have and why do you think you need extra ?.

There is 2Gb installed, the most it will take is 4Gb. I generally install the most RAM on a new PC / Laptop.
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 26th Dec 2010

Windows rarely uses more than 1.5gb of Ram but if you have onboard graphics using some of your RAM and you do a lot of high Ram processing IE: video processing or using many programmes at once then you may notice a slight improvement with another 2gb,

Original Poster

Thanks tony. I have ordered the extra 2Gb as it is under £20 so wont hurt the wallet too much.

2Gb is ok. However with SSDs dropping in price as of late it may be time to invest in one of those.

The cheap Kingston SSD I bought back in April gave my old Thinkpad a serious speed boost (especially when switching between applications).
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 26th Dec 2010

Banned

dcx_badass

I've read it makes quite a decent improvement, this was on a tech site … I've read it makes quite a decent improvement, this was on a tech site and members experience, the flash drives die quickly please.

flash drive hater!

OP 4gb real ram will be more than enough.

4gb is the sweet spot, I upgraded to 8 for the sake of it last week.

Well, in truth I was considering ditching/minimising my pagefile as I have installed an SSD. I have actually moved it on to a standard drive to reduce writes cycles but it is potentially slowing my machine down.
Edited by: "MBeeching" 26th Dec 2010
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. landlord trying to get tenant to purchase a new bed when the old one was al…1118
    2. Foo fighters presale code.3437
    3. THOMSON TUI 2 CRUISE PROBLEM - ANY HELP APPRECIATED22
    4. School shoes - with lights33

See more discussions