Real winners

Found 30th Aug 2017Edited by:"Helen.Louise"
Could someone give me an idea of what a real email of someone truely winning something looks like please? Like how do you know they are real or not?
Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
ceres6 m ago

"Congratulations - you've won!"

And...what else? Then ask to confirm details?
Knowing you entered might be a clue
Have you apparently won something? Copy & paste the info... obviously blank out anything that might make it easy for someone else to claim your prize maliciously...
I think OP is talking about the Argos email (previous thread)

For me...a basic check..... is the email address

eg if Argos actually email you
it should be something like {department}@argos.co.uk

Nothing out of the ordinary for the {department} and it must end @argos.co.uk

anything different is likely to be spam/fake

That said there are spoof emails where the address is spoofed to read the actual address but these are more likely to contain attachments

if you receive an email with an attachment and you don't recognise the email or not expecting an attachment then don't ever open it.

I know some will disagree and criticise but I've never used an email client like Outlook. All my emails are online through Yahoo and in the 20 years approx that I've used Yahoo I've never been hit with a virus, 99.9% of the spam is automatically filtered into the spam folder. I've probably had no more than a dozen "spam" emails in my inbox in the 20 years.

Using an online email provider gives better protection automatically and yes if I download something my Download location is automatically scanned by my AV

HTH
Edited by: "philphil61" 31st Aug 2017
philphil612 h, 49 m ago

I think OP is talking about the Argos email (previous thread)For me...a …I think OP is talking about the Argos email (previous thread)For me...a basic check..... is the email addresseg if Argos actually email you it should be something like {department}@argos.co.ukNothing out of the ordinary for the {department} and it must end @argos.co.ukanything different is likely to be spam/fakeThat said there are spoof emails where the address is spoofed to read the actual address but these are more likely to contain attachments if you receive an email with an attachment and you don't recognise the email or not expecting an attachment then don't ever open it.I know some will disagree and criticise but I've never used an email client like Outlook. All my emails are online through Yahoo and in the 20 years approx that I've used Yahoo I've never been hit with a virus, 99.9% of the spam is automatically filtered into the spam folder. I've probably had no more than a dozen "spam" emails in my inbox in the 20 years.Using an online email provider gives better protection automatically and yes if I download something my Download location is automatically scanned by my AVHTH

I use Outlook with a Gmail address because their online system is awful for categorising emails for future references (labels vs outlooks folder structure). Gmail still filters out spam before it gets to Outlook. Outlook has spam filters too so double protection
We can't - winning e-mails do not follow a standard format.

It's down to whoever created the competition...

Fake ones nearly always have spelling errors, and come from unusual e-mail addresses, or have strange looking "click on this link to claim your prize" links (never click on those).
A quick check would be to hover your curser over the email address it was sent from , the majority of scam emails will then show a completely different sender from the one the short address shows.

If you didn't enter the competition, you haven't won.

If you truly think it is genuine but are still a little doubtful contact the prize giving company through their genuine contact details and ask them to confirm if it's true.
Thanks everyone! I'm new to this, your comments have been very helpful!
chocci4 h, 20 m ago

I use Outlook with a Gmail address because their online system is awful …I use Outlook with a Gmail address because their online system is awful for categorising emails for future references (labels vs outlooks folder structure). Gmail still filters out spam before it gets to Outlook. Outlook has spam filters too so double protection

Outlook's UI is terrible, though, and even worse on mobile.
Edited by: "RossD89" 31st Aug 2017
Though I've never won anything like this I'd not expect to contact them back by email, probably if it's a competition with a large prize or item it would be by somebody in a department with actual real contact details like a phone number. Again I've not won but I would be suspicious of something over email, addresses are easy to spoof
RossD8926 m ago

Outlook's UI is terrible, though, and even worse on mobile.

Are you talking about Outlook (web online), Outlook express, Outlook (office version which is the one I use) or Outlook (android app)?
chocci7 m ago

Are you talking about Outlook (web online), Outlook express, Outlook …Are you talking about Outlook (web online), Outlook express, Outlook (office version which is the one I use) or Outlook (android app)?

Online, although I don't particularly enjoy the desktop experience either. That is probably because I have always used web based email clients though.
Edited by: "RossD89" 31st Aug 2017
RossD8913 m ago

Online, although I don't particularly enjoy the desktop experience either. …Online, although I don't particularly enjoy the desktop experience either. That is probably because I have always used web based email clients though.

I just love the folder based experience versus the awful labelling system gmail uses (which you cant see properly if you have any decent sized subfolder structure). Plus the offline accessibilty is a bonus having SKY as my ISP although thankfully not for much longer!

GMAIL

31854783-dXDRz.jpg

OUTLOOK

31854783-BxcK4.jpg
Edited by: "chocci" 31st Aug 2017
chocci15 m ago

I just love the folder based experience versus the awful labelling system …I just love the folder based experience versus the awful labelling system gmail uses (which you cant see properly if you have any decent sized subfolder structure). Plus the offline accessibilty is a bonus having SKY as my ISP although thankfully not for much longer!GMAIL[Image] OUTLOOK[Image]

Pffft well aren't you well travelled!

The desktop client is probably much different to the web based client which I have used. Regardless, that's only my opinion. Given the option of the two (web based) services, I would choose Gmail over Outlook
RossD8911 m ago

Pffft well aren't you well travelled! The desktop client is probably …Pffft well aren't you well travelled! The desktop client is probably much different to the web based client which I have used. Regardless, that's only my opinion. Given the option of the two (web based) services, I would choose Gmail over Outlook

I'm old school having been office based all my career who mainly all used desktop based software. I even used punched cards to write programs (showing my age there lol)
Edited by: "chocci" 31st Aug 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants