Groups

Really good news for a change!

Just had to tell someone so thought I would post it here. Dont normally make posts like this, but I am about to burst with this info!

The first week of January 08 my grandad was diagnosed with cancer of the throat and chest and given just 3 months to live. It has spread to more places in his chest and his adrenal gland. He has been having trouble with his balance and thought it had spread upwards from his throat to his brain (we had been told it could)

Mum has just called from the hospital with my grandad. The throat cancer consultant (3 of them!) have all been checking him out and said that, not only has it NOT spread to his brain, but its completely disappeared from his throat!!! They have discharged him from that clinic completely!

The balance problem is just because he is old (78 last week) and he just needs to use a zimmer when he goes out. He still has the cancer in his chest and adrenal gland, but we have already had 9 months extra with him and you wouldnt know he was ill from looking at him! Those extra 9 months have meant he has been there for my 21st, christmas, found out my cousin is expecting a baby, and more.

27 Comments

great news,hope he is with your family for a lot longer

thats amazing news, congratulations. isnt modern medicine wonderful?

Great news..pleased for you Miss J. xx

Well done grandad!!! Keep it going!!!

Original Poster

They did radiotherapy on his throat about 8 months ago and said that it wouldnt shrink it, but hopefully would slow down the growth. Since then though they have been amazed with the progress but nobody thought that it would ever go completely!

Wow, that's fantastic news! My love and best wishes to you all. XXX.

I am really happy for you.

My grandad died last night, we had been expecting it for a while as he had been getting worse and worse. We were told back in July last year that he didn't have long but he kept on going and was there for my 21st Birthday in August, my Mum's 50th in September, Christmas, New Years and my Dad's 50th last week so we are really lucky to have had the time with him.

I am sad, but he is not suffering now and he got his last wish of dying at home.

Banned

brilliant news, so chuffed for you xxx

That is fantastic news! my dad is 78 and the last few years have been difficult health wise but he is on the road to recovery as well. Hope you all go out and celebrate!:)

Woohoo! so happy for you all xx

Fantastic!! So pleased for you all. Thanks for sharing good news x

such a sad and happy post, good luck to him I hope he fights it and has a few more years with you, I lost my dad to cancer so I know how you must be feeling, the anxiety sadness etc, but he sound like a spirited person so enjoy you time left with him as I am sure he will do with you and your family, my very best wishes to you - I am glad he was there for your 21st X

Good news indeed ... best wishes to him!

kimbyanne;4138819

I am really happy for you. My grandad died last night, we had been … I am really happy for you. My grandad died last night, we had been expecting it for a while as he had been getting worse and worse. We were told back in July last year that he didn't have long but he kept on going and was there for my 21st Birthday in August, my Mum's 50th in September, Christmas, New Years and my Dad's 50th last week so we are really lucky to have had the time with him.I am sad, but he is not suffering now and he got his last wish of dying at home.

i am so sorry but some great lasting memories:friends:

grate news for you all make the most of it

kimbyanne;4138819

I am really happy for you. My grandad died last night, we had been … I am really happy for you. My grandad died last night, we had been expecting it for a while as he had been getting worse and worse. We were told back in July last year that he didn't have long but he kept on going and was there for my 21st Birthday in August, my Mum's 50th in September, Christmas, New Years and my Dad's 50th last week so we are really lucky to have had the time with him.I am sad, but he is not suffering now and he got his last wish of dying at home.

sorry to hear your news my gran passed away on the 6th jan very suddenly she was 78 and would have been 79 exactly a week later her funeral is this friday. the hardest thing is its only 16 months since my gramp died and my grand parents played bigger parts in our lives than my mum and dad.

sorry to high jack a happy thread

really pleased for you and your family. certainly sending some love your way. xxx

Banned

Great news for you.

My condolences to the other's x x

Ah thats class news... just brought a tear te me eye... !
    Good Luck B

That is fantastic news Julia and you and your family deserve some luck - long may it continute xxx

really good news i hate cancer as its affected my family so much

im so happy for you and your family, you all must be so releived, miracles obviously do happen!:)

supermod

Wonderful news about your grandad

So pleased you have had some good news hun.

Let's hope that 2009 will be a very , very good year for you and yours.

Warm regards, Tony x

Oh and it's about time you took that Christmas Hat off !! Be summer soon

Original Poster

Thanks everyone, we are all in shock at the moment, the best we were hoping for was it hadnt spread to his brain, we hadnt even considered this!

kimbyanne;4138819

octobergirl;4138875

such a sad and happy post, good luck to him I hope he fights it and has a … such a sad and happy post, good luck to him I hope he fights it and has a few more years with you, I lost my dad to cancer so I know how you must be feeling, the anxiety sadness etc, but he sound like a spirited person so enjoy you time left with him as I am sure he will do with you and your family, my very best wishes to you - I am glad he was there for your 21st X

pinkangel;4139016

sorry to hear your news my gran passed away on the 6th jan very suddenly … sorry to hear your news my gran passed away on the 6th jan very suddenly she was 78 and would have been 79 exactly a week later her funeral is this friday. the hardest thing is its only 16 months since my gramp died and my grand parents played bigger parts in our lives than my mum and dad.

My thoughts are with you all and I hope that this thread has not caused any further upset for you.

hottoshop;4139470

So pleased you have had some good news hun.Let's hope that 2009 will be a … So pleased you have had some good news hun.Let's hope that 2009 will be a very , very good year for you and yours.Warm regards, Tony xOh and it's about time you took that Christmas Hat off !! Be summer soon

Molly said its still cold so she can keep her hat on! Lol, I just think its so cute I dont want to swop it!

This is wonderful Kelly .. such great news ... very pleased for you & your family xx
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tv choice magazine Issue 3966
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick22
      3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains66
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020

See more discussions