Really slow broadband troubleshooting

Found 10th Jun
My internet for the last week has been really slow, almost to the point of being unusable.Im literally getting around 100KB/sec when downloading something. The speed test shows a download of 0.17 Mb/s and upload of 0.06 Mb/s (ping of 311ms). Going into the modem settings I have:

downstream upstream
Data rate(Kbps) 574Kb 440Kb
Noise Margin 23 29
Output power(dBm) 125 180
Attenuation(dB) 28 8

Nothing positive from EE, so can anyone give me any tips to try and troubleshoot this issue? I have changed nothing in this time, so am baffled as to why its deteriorated.
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
Probably some openreach engineer has damaged your connection in the cabinet
Could be DLM (dynamic line management). Any interruption to connection can cause this to kick in, also errors can too. This shows the speed down until a stable connection is made, then slowly increases your speed to give you the most stable connection. If you have many disconnections /dropped signal then DLM will continually drop your speed. Until you sort out the disconnections /dropped line you will not imprint your speed.
I suffered this and it turned out it was a loose connection in the cabinet - every time a large vehicle went past it vibrated and dropped signal. With a bus every ten minutes my speed dropped like a lead zeppelin. A quick fix from openreach engineer and a couple of days later all was back to normal.
I have the modem in eyesight and it doesnt appear to have been disconnecting regularly.

There is a hissing on the landline phone when you pick it up, which suggests a problem with the filter, but Ive tried several, and it still happens.
Connect to the engineers socket and try from there
Edited by: "mrty" 10th Jun
Try plugging two filters into each other. Turn off the modem for half hour or so then turn it back on.

You may need to get an engineer out, they often mess about with wiring in the cabinets
Thanks for your help, I will try the two filters now.

The engineers socket is when you unscrew the front off the main phone line connection isnt it?

If I cant get a solution, is it an official BT/Openreach engineer that I get?
Wild24 m ago

Thanks for your help, I will try the two filters now. The engineers socket …Thanks for your help, I will try the two filters now. The engineers socket is when you unscrew the front off the main phone line connection isnt it?If I cant get a solution, is it an official BT/Openreach engineer that I get?

You contact your service provider as they have to supply you a minimum connection speed now. Also you shouldn't need adsl filters now as you should have an VDSL faceplate on the master box where your modem should be plugged in.
Wild25 m ago

Thanks for your help, I will try the two filters now. The engineers socket …Thanks for your help, I will try the two filters now. The engineers socket is when you unscrew the front off the main phone line connection isnt it?If I cant get a solution, is it an official BT/Openreach engineer that I get?

Ring your ISP and they will be able to arrange everything.

Another thing to check if your modem/hub is plugged directly into the socket (not an extension cable). Extension sockets adversely impact the internet.
Are you using a wi fi extender or powerline adapters?
I assume you're on ADSL2+ rather than FTTC?

It's likely something on the line or modem rather than your home network. 28.8db attenuation should be ~14Mbps line speed with the noise margin around 6-10db. Assuming you're using EE's supplied modem/router then I'd keep on at them to sort it out.
Wild1 h, 8 m ago

is it an official BT/Openreach engineer that I get?

Well it would all be arranged by your ISP as they're the ones paying openreach to maintain the line.
Since the problems, the modem is directly plugged into the socket. So its a filter in the main line, and then a cable into the modem.

"Are you using a wi fi extender or powerline adapters?" - Nope

"I assume you're on ADSL2+ rather than FTTC?" - Not sure? What do I check for this? Im on normal broadband and not Fibre

Im not using their supplied modem, as I bought a Belkin one years ago that Im still using. Ill try and find the original one and try that.
as already mentioned above, it sounds like the phone cable has been messed up somewhere along the line. we had this issue when they dug up our road and accidentally cut the phone cable.

call you broadband provider and ask them to check your line and to send an engineer out if they can't see anything wrong. we are with sky and they did a line test when we had these sort of issues and sent an openreach engineer out.
The 23/29 noise margin with such a low sync rate would suggest the DLM has been raising the noise margins to compensate for the noise you are also hearing on the phone - so probably a line fault. If you have any hard wired telephone extensions unplug them and check your connection in the test socket in case they are causing the issue. Also try a different modem/router plus cable in case either are faulty.

A couple of things you could try, that frequently worked to clear the noise on my line when I had a very long term intermittent line fault, is picking up the phone and waiting for about 90 seconds (I think). The dial tone should stop then you should eventually hear a click/pulse on the line when the exchange automatically tests the circuit, the extra voltage used to be enough to clear some bad connection faults for a while and get ADSL working. If that doesn't work try ringing you landline from your mobile and let the phone ring a few times, again the ring voltage can temporarily clear the fault.
Edited by: "melted" 10th Jun
Thanks for the replies. It does seem to be a line fault by the looks of it. Ill try an alternative modem for the time being to see if that helps.

Thanks for the tips melted, I will try them now.

One more thing, Im in the middle of switching from EE to Sky broadband, just waiting to recieve my new stuff from Sky. Would I still call EE at this point?
Wild5 m ago

Thanks for the replies. It does seem to be a line fault by the looks of …Thanks for the replies. It does seem to be a line fault by the looks of it. Ill try an alternative modem for the time being to see if that helps.Thanks for the tips melted, I will try them now.One more thing, Im in the middle of switching from EE to Sky broadband, just waiting to recieve my new stuff from Sky. Would I still call EE at this point?

How long before the new provider takes over? the fault might get sorted when it is.
They said 7-14 days, and that was three days ago. I assume all Im going to do is plug in a new modem when I switch. If its a problem with the line, would switching actually change anything?
Wild2 h, 22 m ago

They said 7-14 days, and that was three days ago. I assume all Im going to …They said 7-14 days, and that was three days ago. I assume all Im going to do is plug in a new modem when I switch. If its a problem with the line, would switching actually change anything?

Your phone line will be connected to a Sky MSAN when they take it over, I believe they test the line to check it is working so a fault may get picked up and sorted, and if it should happen to be an issue with your current isp's dslam/msan or the hook up wires it would disappear.

You will still have to speak to EE if you want to get the fault sorted before you leave, but there may not be enough time before your line is transferred for them to book an openreach engineer if they decide it is a line fault, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

I'd recommend disconnecting any telephone extensions, and plugging just your ISP provided router and your phone via a filter into your test socket when reporting a fault, to rule out your internal telephone wiring and router. Your ISP may ask you to do that anyway, so it avoids having to call them back.
Edited by: "melted" 10th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants