Reasonable or unreasonable: 'deaf & dumb artist' doing door to door sales (looks like a scammer) & testing his deafness story by setting off a starter gun bang to test if he's deaf?!

Found 11th Oct 2017Edited by:"sicklysweet"
We had a family discussion about this and between us we have many differing views on this.

There is a guy who says he's a deaf artist - I say 'says', he has a piece of paper which explains his story.

He's deaf, dumb (can't speak) and is knocking on doors trying to sell his art (photocopies).

He is targeting the older population with this.

Now I am opposed to any door to door salesman, but one of the questions was is he actually a scammer if he's actually selling you something? Anyhow, that's not the real question.

The question is, how acceptable would it be to test whether he is actually deaf? If someone has one of those starter pistols (those ones which fire blanks and are used for sports day at school when they say 'ready, steady'....*bang*). No opportunity whatsoever of harm to anyone and he wouldn't see it.

If the guy is deaf he wouldn't hear it so no harm done.

If the guy isn't deaf he would hear it and jump, thus proving he's a scammer.

Discuss.

I'm not going to say which side I'm on at the moment, I'd like to know your thoughts.

EDIT:

Please know that this discussion is only in the context of people touting their goods on the basis of a disability or other life-affecting story (e.g. the ex-cons flogging Poundland tat).

My family has been affected with the consequences of disabilities - both visible and invisible - and no one has the right to question another person about their personal circumstances or health in day to day life. The old saying of 'what you see is what you get' is quite frankly old tosh and not always true; someone may look well but they've put on a brave face and had to rest for a week before being able to see you, and will need to rest for the following week.

However when they bring money into it, do you have the right to question them?! Seeing as that is the basis for the financial transaction.

I think this understanding is why I'm both for and against this discussion.

The fact a disabled person would have the audacity to target elderly and disabled people, the very people I would want to protect, is also a challenging concept.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
deeky34 m ago

I meant serious about sneaking up behind him with a starting pistol

Well, if he wasn't deaf before he certainly will be now.

31 Comments
If "deafness" were to be part of trade description then , of course, test it out.
But before you do this, do research a bit more as to what audibility (audio spectrum response) is deemed to be deafness.
splender8 m ago

If "deafness" were to be part of trade description then , of course, test …If "deafness" were to be part of trade description then , of course, test it out. But before you do this, do research a bit more as to what audibility (audio spectrum response) is deemed to be deafness.

Indeed, to quote wikipedia (yes I know, but in this instance I'm prepared to take this as fact):

"Deafness is defined as a degree of loss such that a person is unable to understand speech even in the presence of amplification. In profound deafness, even the loudest sounds produced by an audiometer (an instrument used to measure hearing by producing pure tone sounds through a range of frequencies) may not be detected. In total deafness, no sounds at all, regardless of amplification or method of production, are heard."

It's very possible the person concerned can correctly be diagnosed as deaf but still be able to hear a noise as loud as a starter pistol.
Edited by: "spoo" 11th Oct 2017
32234487-1Djzg.jpg

Maybe wouldn't come to the door shooting a starting pistol but if you hold up one of his pictures as if your looking at it in front of your face then ask how much, if he answers you've got him.
whitebook11 m ago

Maybe wouldn't come to the door shooting a starting pistol but if you hold …Maybe wouldn't come to the door shooting a starting pistol but if you hold up one of his pictures as if your looking at it in front of your face then ask how much, if he answers you've got him.

Do that but ask do you have any change? Or simply turn your head and say "release the hounds" Mr Burns style.
Give him a swift kick up the jacksie and send him on his way, regardless.
summerof7641 m ago

[Image]

I went to the theatre and there was a lady signing on the right hand side of the stage. The play was awful and watching her was better than watching the play! Her facial expressions etc were great & better acted than the actual actors.
'He is targeting the older population with this.'

'nuff said.

Actually read it all now and not sure if serious...
Edited by: "deeky" 11th Oct 2017
whitebook46 m ago

Maybe wouldn't come to the door shooting a starting pistol but if you hold …Maybe wouldn't come to the door shooting a starting pistol but if you hold up one of his pictures as if your looking at it in front of your face then ask how much, if he answers you've got him.

The discussion was more around 'I see him trying to scam my mother so out of sight I fire the starting pistol' so no harm if done is he's genuinely deaf.

There was talk of pretending something awful was happening inside and then the gun going off but I said to the boys 'no, that's just not on'. That could traumatise someone!

The art is ok (nothing special) but they are only photocopies on printer paper and he is pushing the fact he's deaf and dumb, and needs money.

The art costs £10 or £15.

Note: (older) people were giving him a £5 and not 'buying' the artwork, just giving him the money and telling him to keep up the good work.
deeky7 m ago

'He is targeting the older population with this.''nuff said.Actually read …'He is targeting the older population with this.''nuff said.Actually read it all now and not sure if serious...

Actually serious.

He's like those people that knock on the door selling Poundland tat for £5 but say they're ex-cons out of prison trying to make a living and get on the right path in life. That in the car 'over there' is their parole officer.

Totally made up story and 'weirdly' tends to happen when the circus is in town.

People buy stuff because they feel that they're helping the guy out and doing a good deed.

My friend bought stuff and said that even if not true he's not a scammer as she got something for the money she gave him. I can't disagree with that but the premise of paying over the odds was based on a lie.
It's a really old scam... Been going on for years.

spaldingtoday.co.uk/new…438

Don't even entertain them, shut the door.
miikeyblue1 m ago

It's a really old scam... Been going on for …It's a really old scam... Been going on for years.http://www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/news/crime/please-be-advised-that-this-is-a-scam-1-5441438Don't even entertain them, shut the door.

That's why we were discussing it.

It's if we saw him doing it to someone else, would you try to prove he was a con artist?!
sicklysweet10 m ago

Actually serious. He's like those people that knock on the door selling …Actually serious. He's like those people that knock on the door selling Poundland tat for £5 but say they're ex-cons out of prison trying to make a living and get on the right path in life. That in the car 'over there' is their parole officer.Totally made up story and 'weirdly' tends to happen when the circus is in town. People buy stuff because they feel that they're helping the guy out and doing a good deed. My friend bought stuff and said that even if not true he's not a scammer as she got something for the money she gave him. I can't disagree with that but the premise of paying over the odds was based on a lie.

deeky12 m ago

Oh, yeah, I was being serious!

But less sneaking up behind them and more stealth-like hiding behind a car or from inside the house depending on where the scammer and mark/victim were standing. Something that would shock them and make them jump if they could hear, but nothing visible or that would make them poop their pants with 'omg I'm going to die now' thoughts.
Edited by: "sicklysweet" 11th Oct 2017
I saw a lovely 90 year old lady yesterday who was so amazing, bright and sparky but the idea she was targeted makes me sick to my stomach.

My granny used to be conned regularly out of her pension, she must have been on a scummy people's list of easy targets. My dad did everything he could, but even in warden assisted housing they got into the block of flats and sold her Christmas cards in February for an absolute fortune.
we have had people knock at our door to sell household stuff, claiming to be ex convicts and now in a rehabilitation program. apparently popular scam.

i have stuck a big sticker on our door to say that we don't buy at the door but no one seems to be taking any notice.

they became quite aggressive and threatened my husband that they would come back and beat him up when he told them that he had no interest in buying any of their stuff, to which he replied, why wait to come back? why not try to beat him up there and then and see how far they get? they then just walked off!
deeky34 m ago

Well, if he wasn't deaf before he certainly will be now.

32235108-8xD6Z.jpg
I would just take the micky and see if he reacts.
I look forward to the local news story when you have thrown someone out of their wheelchair to see if they can walk!
Now, I may have been more convinced if it was a blind artist selling pictures door to door..
cdm2250 m ago

I look forward to the local news story when you have thrown someone out of …I look forward to the local news story when you have thrown someone out of their wheelchair to see if they can walk!

See this is another thing that came up in conversation.

I am more than aware and very understanding of people who have disabilities, whether they are visible or not.

I have a lot of understanding, and both sympathy and empathy for those people.

However, if someone is cold calling a vulnerable person and asking them for money mainly due to their disability, is it acceptable to question it?! It is certainly not acceptable in day to day life to question it, and I wouldn't ever want to. But when someone is targeting the vulnerable and tugging at the heart strings based on their disability is it acceptable to question, or test, it?!

I actually don't think I ever would, or could.
cdm221 h, 2 m ago

I look forward to the local news story when you have thrown someone out of …I look forward to the local news story when you have thrown someone out of their wheelchair to see if they can walk!

Please know that this discussion is only in the context of people touting their goods on the basis of a disability or other life-affecting story (e.g. the ex-cons flogging Poundland tat).

My family has been affected with the consequences of disabilities - both visible and invisible - and no one has the right to question another person about their personal circumstances or health in day to day life. The old saying of 'what you see is what you get' is quite frankly old tosh and not always true; someone may look well but they've put on a brave face and had to rest for a week before being able to see you, and will need to rest for the following week.

However when they bring money into it, do you have the right to question them?! Seeing as that is the basis for the financial transaction.

I think this understanding is why I'm both for and against this discussion.

The fact a disabled person would have the audacity to target elderly and disabled people, the very people I would want to protect, is also a challenging concept.
Edited by: "sicklysweet" 11th Oct 2017
deeky3 h, 11 m ago

'He is targeting the older population with this.''nuff said.Actually read …'He is targeting the older population with this.''nuff said.Actually read it all now and not sure if serious...

It's OK Deeky - no need to worry there's 100's of HUKD members (including me) who have got your back and will protect you from theses scumbags who target the elderly and infirm
deleted265520
What if he was selling a bike for 99p but you only had a tenner?
philphil6119 h, 15 m ago

It's OK Deeky - no need to worry there's 100's of HUKD members (including …It's OK Deeky - no need to worry there's 100's of HUKD members (including me) who have got your back and will protect you from theses scumbags who target the elderly and infirm

Aww, cheers phil. That's very comforting to hear
deaf and mute = preferred terminology nowadays!
Hold the piece of paper over your mouth and tell him, you're going inside to get your wallet/purse and you'll have to close the door.
If he's not deaf he'll be there when you open the door again.
If he's deaf, he'll have gone.
The bloke selling photocopies of drawings that he won't show you outside of the plastic wallet before you buy? I have one of his kitten 'drawings'. No I didn't buy it, someone else did.

Police aren't interested, action fraud aren't interested despite it being well documented in the internet for the best part of ten years.

They guy is well over 6' 5 shouts because he is 'hard of hearing'. He's quite intimidating and had to basically pay him to leave. He would not shift out of the door.

He also types messages I his £700 phone when shouting doesn't work, but has a card saying money from sales will fund him going to art school because he can't afford to go any other way.

He makes his money out of abusing pensioners, he's absolute scum. What does it matter if he really is deaf out dumb or not?
DT8911th Oct 2017

What if he was selling a bike for 99p but you only had a tenner?

Halfords regularly do that bikes to Africa thingy
heads up here and all (wink)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants