Groups

Recall on Nike Total 90's and Mercurial ranges

Hi,
    Not sure if this is technically classed as a "Deal" but I thought this was prime information that needs to be shared.
    Nike have issued a recall on there Total 90 and Mercurial range of football boots due to them giving off a strong pungent ammonia smell when damp.
    Today I took my Total 90 boots (which I have owned for about a year and a half) to my local JJB store. Since I never had my receipt (who does after a year and a half?) I was informed that I could get a replacement pair up to the value that the boots scanned up for on the till. When he typed in the product code for my boots the price was £44.99.
    I could then go and pick a replacement up to that value.
    I now have a nice shiny new pair of boots and never paid a penny (maybe this should be in the freebies section?!?)
    If you do still have your receipt then you will be given a full refund.

Here is a link to the recent campaign to get the recall on watchdog

bbc.co.uk/blo…tml

HTH

12 Comments

My son's T90's have the same problem. Anyway, spoke with Sportsdirect and they agreed on a replacement, even without the receipt. I think this appears to effect pairs bought from July '07 onwards.

yes i bought my 15yr old sons boots for xmas last year and they do stink really really bad...so bad that they get left outside all day/night in their bootbag.
    i really cant stand the smell of them... :w00t:
    i would be embarrassed to take them back to the shop as they are really dirty and smelly... :oops::oops:
    what would you do if they were in such a state??? :whistling:

sxc-flump;3674684

yes i bought my 15yr old sons boots for xmas last year and they do stink … yes i bought my 15yr old sons boots for xmas last year and they do stink really really bad...so bad that they get left outside all day/night in their bootbag.i really cant stand the smell of them... :w00t: i would be embarrassed to take them back to the shop as they are really dirty and smelly... :oops::oops:what would you do if they were in such a state??? :whistling:

i watch the watchdog programme about this-and they said even new ones were smelly.

Just take a deep breathe and give them a wipe over with a baby wipe-and take them in-new for old boots can't be sniffed at...........sorry for the pun !:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Mine stunk and even the leather around the toe was split so I needed a new pair so dont worry about the condition.
    The funny thing was I watched the guy taking my old boots to the back of the store and when he was a good distance away I saw him take a sniff of the boots! :o:o
    Maybe had a foot fetish!

My Son's boots reeked of the cat pee like smell too. I bleached the insides but it was back within a couple of days. We bought deoderising soles and this did seem to help a lot so it could be something in the sole making them whiff. I'm secretly hoping they start whiffing again so I can return them!
    Is there any model it doesn't affect or is it most Total 90 and Mercurial boots?

wish I'd read this earlier, just binned my sons as I couldn't take the smell any longer!!

thats the bin men just been as well!!

boy they were in a bad way, and I thought it was his feet..poor kid he got grief for that!

Hey i just bought my daughters Nike JR Tiempo Natural footy boots and she has worn them twice. I cant stand the stinky cat pee smell. I ripped up the toilet carpet cause i thought someone let a cat in by mistake but only just tonight realised its the boots. I have never in all my life smelt anything so bad, other than when a tom cat peed up my front door a few years back. I will definately be taking these boots back, even if she has to play in bare feet. Apologies to my husband who got the blame for the smell and was sent away to work with 2 new packs of odour eaters ha ha.

Are Nike still excepting smelly total 90s for a refund

does this still affect current total 90s and mecurials?

can you still take boots back to jjb and get a exchange of boots because mine smells really bad?

jordanbristolcity

can you still take boots back to jjb and get a exchange of boots because … can you still take boots back to jjb and get a exchange of boots because mine smells really bad?

Woah didn't know this!

Bloody old news! Wonder if it'll still work??
    Edited by: "Boom123" 11th Oct 2010

Hi , I bought a pair of Mercurials back in August 2010 for my daughter and they now have the dreaded cat pee smell, it's so strong i thought it was more like a tom cat spray smell. Are Nike still honouring the refund without receipt as they said on the watchdog program back in 2008, Any advice appreciated. John
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. One for the mathmeticians916
      2. word association Game74044566
      3. Whoops SNP...Grenfell style cladding all over Glasgow1023
      4. Does anyone have a Sky voucher code that they wont use?710

See more discussions