Receive a free 4 year 16-25 railcard when opening a student bank account @ Santander

Expert (Beta)9
Posted 18th Jul
I know going to uni might not be the same this year, but for those who are deciding to go, Santander are once again offering a free 4 year 16-25 railcard when opening a student account with them.
santander.co.uk/per…unt
Important info about the account and benefits:

• A free 4-year Santander 16-25 Railcard to save 1/3 on rail travel in Great Britain
  • An interest-free arranged overdraft of £1,500 in years 1-3, £1,800 in year 4 and £2,000 if you stay on to year 5 - Learn more in our 'Overdrafts and charges' section below
  • Monthly interest of 1% AER/ gross (variable) on balances up to a maximum of £2,000

Eligibility:
  • You’re 18 or over and live in the UK permanently
  • You’re studying or are about to begin an undergraduate course that is at least 2 years in length, or level 4 to 7 apprenticeship. If you’re about to begin your course, you must have an ‘unconditional’ or ‘confirmed conditional’ offer (i.e. you have your exam results) before you apply
  • You pay in at least £500 per academic term
  • You don’t already have an existing Santander current account. If you do, you’ll need to transfer it

As part of your application:
• You'll need to provide proof of study e.g. UCAS Digital AS12, a student ID card (must include expiry date), a letter from your higher education provider, or apprenticeship confirmation from your university and/or employer.
Community Updates
9 Comments
Thanks, Op! It normally costs £30. Shame I can't get it for a 16 year old. Got it with Clubcard vouchers for £10 instead!
Oh to be sixteen again
Bought a 16-25 rail card for my daughter, I didn't read T&C regarding time restrictions, couldn't use it to get to collage as you can only use it after 10 am.
Edited by: "ellenw" 19th Jul
Ageist.
Edited by: "PAISAL" 18th Jul
fwog18/07/2020 17:21

Oh to be sixteen again

Never again! 24, that I don't mind
ellenw18/07/2020 17:50

Bought a 16-25 rail card for my daughter, I didn't read T&C regarding time …Bought a 16-25 rail card for my daughter, I didn't read T&C regarding time restrictions, couldn't use it to get to collage as you can only use it after 10 am.

My daughter had a Santander 4yr Railcard and found that if she bought Advance tickets ** (say from Liverpool to Birmingham or Manchester etc.for travel before 10a.m.) she could obtain the Railcard discount. The fares were often well below the Railcard £12 min. for weekday journeys before 10a.m.

**EDIT: Just checked for a Tues. in Sept. before 8.30 a.m. and it still works!

(B.T.W. - the 'before 10a.m.' rule doesn't apply in July & August - my son and daughter have both benefited from this)
Edited by: "sjs31" 19th Jul
Daughter got one when she started uni, saved on the train between Swansea & London, although she did then change to using the coach as it was much cheaper than the train even with the discount
Post a comment
@
    Text