Received money in error

Posted 27th Apr
Hi all,

i received money in error from my bank - for PPI.

They simply sent it 2x.

I reported it to them immediately after I found out, they thanked me and said they will inform PPI team about it.

Nothing happened for a month, so I called them again and "surprise" it was not followed at all, they said they will follow up.

It's another month now.

How do I go about it? i know, I should not bother as it's bank's money.. but any idea if they will deduct it themselves or they will ask me to transfer it?

I usually move everything to saving account and leave just a little money on my account (in case someone hack my account) so I don't feel good to be having £1500 there, just in case bank decides it's time to take it back.. (I don't want to move it to saving account in case they do so and I will go overdraft).

thank you for any help!
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Just leave it there and wait
23 Comments
Not sure what "help" can be offered really, csmcr? You've done what needed to be done so I guess it's just a waiting game. You need to leave the money in your account as they WILL take it back (if they get around to it!) and I wouldn't expect them to ask you to transfer it yourself. Therefore, you don't want to run the risk of going overdrawn by it not being there when they try.

Don't worry yourself too much about being "hacked" - unless; of course; you do an awful lot of online banking and also 'surf' on the same machine to sites you ought not to be visiting! This is where most 'hacking' occurs - and as long as you are wary of 'phishing' scams etc. then you are quite safe.

I'm actually pleased to see a post where the OP started by saying they did the correct thing and reported the error to the financial body - rather than the usual "I've been paid twice - can I legally keep it" brigade! Well done.

Glad you had some PPI success. All the best & stay safe.

Phsy.
Phsycronix27/04/2020 10:46

Not sure what "help" can be offered really, csmcr? You've done what needed …Not sure what "help" can be offered really, csmcr? You've done what needed to be done so I guess it's just a waiting game. You need to leave the money in your account as they WILL take it back (if they get around to it!) and I wouldn't expect them to ask you to transfer it yourself. Therefore, you don't want to run the risk of going overdrawn by it not being there when they try.Don't worry yourself too much about being "hacked" - unless; of course; you do an awful lot of online banking and also 'surf' on the same machine to sites you ought not to be visiting! This is where most 'hacking' occurs - and as long as you are wary of 'phishing' scams etc. then you are quite safe.I'm actually pleased to see a post where the OP started by saying they did the correct thing and reported the error to the financial body - rather than the usual "I've been paid twice - can I legally keep it" brigade! Well done. Glad you had some PPI success. All the best & stay safe.Phsy.

Well, I left PPI at the last minute and enquired about PPI from 2009. They said they could not find it (even so I provided the contracts etc.). But they asked me about credit card from 2006, applied for online - I said I had no credit card until 2009 and definitely no internet home in 2006 😁 they investigated and decided that I had this card up until this August, unbeknown to me!

And thank you. I will wait. I have 6 friends with hacked accounts recently so I am paranoid I think
csmcr27/04/2020 10:53

I have 6 friends with hacked accounts recently

Sounds like they either all surf the same site(s) - or sent each other a dodgy link! The best thing I have found for peace of mind is to have either a separate computer for online banking - or simpler still, a USB stick with a Linux distro and you ONLY use it for banking - NOTHING ELSE - EVER! Belt and braces approach but pretty much as safe as you'll get.
Rune_2H27/04/2020 10:51

Comment deleted

Got £1500. Well.. £3000, as they sent it twice 😁
I'm assuming you've contacted them by phone. Send an email so that you can prove you've contacted them. Then sit back and wait.
xtreme12327/04/2020 10:39

This. One day, they will wake up and what you don't want at that time is an overdraft with the penalties.
i would just have kept quiet and spend the money in 6 months if they don't ask for it back
as long as you have proof of contacting them to clarify the situation.. if not, I'd be following it up with an email. don't spend it.. treat it like someone else's dosh, sit tight and wait.

even if they took it back in a minth, or six from now- who cares? wasn't yours in the first place eh
Change banks, then no chance of them taking it back.
Bargainhead27/04/2020 13:16

Change banks, then no chance of them taking it back.

if they realise the mistake, they will write to the OP and ask for the money back.
mutley127/04/2020 13:26

if they realise the mistake, they will write to the OP and ask for the …if they realise the mistake, they will write to the OP and ask for the money back.

No different to keeping quiet for 6 month and spending it..😜
You have contacted them twice so it must be under investigation. Just keep rolling the dice for a year then wave goodbye as it’s not your problem anymore
How did you report it to them? Any documentation?

I think I would buy some premium bonds and wait to hear from them (hoping that I don't). I did once receive a few thousand pounds into my account in error. I kept quiet, and they randomly took it back from me. This wasn't PPI though, no idea what it was to be honest.
daniellndn27/04/2020 14:47

How did you report it to them? Any documentation?I think I would buy some …How did you report it to them? Any documentation?I think I would buy some premium bonds and wait to hear from them (hoping that I don't). I did once receive a few thousand pounds into my account in error. I kept quiet, and they randomly took it back from me. This wasn't PPI though, no idea what it was to be honest.

2x via chat, 2x called, 1x via email (today)

They always found in system i've called but said it was not followed (sent to PPI team), internal error
Transfer it into a interest account. Earn money on it while its sat there. Leave it for a year. If they dont claim it back - keep it.
So you clicked on this link in a text saying here's your PPI payout and you entered your banking password...
harrythefish27/04/2020 20:31

So you clicked on this link in a text saying here's your PPI payout and …So you clicked on this link in a text saying here's your PPI payout and you entered your banking password...

Apologies,not sure what you mean.
Deleted_27/04/2020 15:17

Transfer it into a interest account. Earn money on it while its sat there. …Transfer it into a interest account. Earn money on it while its sat there. Leave it for a year. If they dont claim it back - keep it.

Interest account funny
mutley127/04/2020 13:26

if they realise the mistake, they will write to the OP and ask for the …if they realise the mistake, they will write to the OP and ask for the money back.

Wished it was this easy. Like if you send money to someone but accidentally got 1 or 2 numbers wrong, and it got sent to a different account, you can't just reverse the transfer through your bank, but the bank has to get approval from the wrong recipient in order to reverse the transfer. Was it not in the news a while back when someone got 1 number wrong and lost 100k or something and his bank won't help, because the other person refused to return the money, even though the banks know where the money was. If reverse transfer was so easy, scammers out there would be out of a JOB.
madoka_ayukawa28/04/2020 03:08

Wished it was this easy. Like if you send money to someone but …Wished it was this easy. Like if you send money to someone but accidentally got 1 or 2 numbers wrong, and it got sent to a different account, you can't just reverse the transfer through your bank, but the bank has to get approval from the wrong recipient in order to reverse the transfer. Was it not in the news a while back when someone got 1 number wrong and lost 100k or something and his bank won't help, because the other person refused to return the money, even though the banks know where the money was. If reverse transfer was so easy, scammers out there would be out of a JOB.

organisations making payments in error will not be the same as joe bloggs making a mistake with the bank account number. they won't be taking the money back automatically as they don't have that authority but they will write to the OP and ask for the payment to be returned.

the bank would return the money to the company if the payments were made twice by the bank as a mistake rather than the company as they will have access to the transfer systems and will be able to reverse the payment.
An update: bank just called me, received an email and they will take money back in next few days.

And a joke of the day: i ordered 2x advent calendars for my nieces off argos (frozen/minnie) and instead of minne received 99.99 regatta tent. 🙈🙈🙈
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions