Expired

receiving constant scam calls from fake call centre, TalkTalk

Found 27th Feb 2017
ok, so last week a call center with Indian accent kept and ringing me about 9 times a day. it's a private call number.
They said, "hello, I'm xyz from Talk Talk and the call is regarding a fault with my broadband, can you please switch on your router and computer so we can solve the issue".

I knew this was a scam but I really thought of the older generation living alone and getting hacked from these call center. please do warn your elders !

They didn't say can I speak to the account holder or ask me to confirm my details etc etc, just straight to the subject.
I said to her i don't have a fault and I'm not with Talk Talk for a joke, she then just hung up. 40 minutes later another call and this time it was a male saying exactly same lines of the scam. I pretended to ask a few questions and pretended to be deaf and swore at him the last minute and that didn't work either lol.

the calls continued for another 2 days constantly making me crazy on the same private number but I never had time to answer it. when I finally did answer it, she said the same word's "I'm from talk talk" , I then said "hello, your talking to the cyber crime unit how may I help"? and bingo!! no calls since.

that's how to grid of them!
Community Updates
MiscCall of Duty
30 Comments
Sof your truly cracked!
Good griddance
Yes since I have moved out my mum has been getting calls about the computer as she was telling me have I heard from so and so from talk talk about the computer, I assume it is a scam and even tell her it is, but she doesn't quite understand, luckily she hasn't a pic and has no idea how to use one so although socially excluded in some senses a saving grace in others
This is why I keep a whistle handy.
3 years ago i got a call, and none since i told her she had rang a church and we had no computer.
Now lets see how many churches spring up in the UK
Edited by: "_Rappy_" 27th Feb 2017
My dad fell for this.
They basically lock you out of your laptop/pc and hold it to ransom.
Funny thing was he finally clicked when damage was done. He was on the phone to me whilst they was on his house phone.
When he booted it up it asked for an admin password.
I'm quiet good at PC'S and reading guides to try and get it back again was well over my head.
Had to full format in the end. He still gets phone calls daily.
Another story similar was a girl at my wife's old place locked out a full server for a buisness doing the Microsoft scam (same as this) and he had to pay the £5k.
Now I'm not 100% but I bet they can now do the same whenever they feel like it.
Edited by: "geebeegooner" 27th Feb 2017
I got 10 calls a day for months from these scammers.
I finally gave in and ordered a CPR Call Blocker like new @£19.99 from Amazon.
I followed a YouTube video and blocked most calls apart from withheld as parents numbers are withheld.
In 3 weeks I've only had 1 call and it was a spoofed 01525 number. One push of the block now button and all is peaceful again. I wish I had got one years ago.
They called me twice the first time i said f off, the second i said i don't have a pc, ios or android device i use the net purely for online console gaming, not heard a peep since
Strange how the op is legible and not sofiasar's usual gobbledygook :|.

How bizarre
We had something similar a few weeks ago, in the space of two hours we had several calls from an Indian call centre claiming to be BT wanting to discuss a problem with our Broadband saying that it was going to be disconnected (we're with Virgin)

Had one or two call in the following days but that was it. Up until that point it had been quiet as far as scam calls are concerned for nearly a year.
I pretend to fall for the scam an go along with it for as long as possible, the last time I did this he realised and flipped his lid, they never rang back again after that.
I used to get them (less frequently now) and if I have the time I string them along. (longest was 55 minutes) Giving them excuses like someone at the door, wait for my kettle is overboiling, and then PC starting very slowly. (Once bootup took 12 minutes) confirming to him that indeed there MUST BE a virus or something , getting them excited at the prospect. And then the PC crashed again, so have to reboot and all that ! All the while doing my own thing. Finally said that after booting up, it says LINUX.

That flipped him completely and swore in their own languages. I had a good laught to.
alanbeenthere

This is why I keep a whistle handy.

​lol, that's another great idea. I was thinking of screaming on the phone but I thought the first 2 methods failed so this should work

I shall get my whistle out ready for future
Onlydongles

I used to get them (less frequently now) and if I have the time I string … I used to get them (less frequently now) and if I have the time I string them along. (longest was 55 minutes) Giving them excuses like someone at the door, wait for my kettle is overboiling, and then PC starting very slowly. (Once bootup took 12 minutes) confirming to him that indeed there MUST BE a virus or something , getting them excited at the prospect. And then the PC crashed again, so have to reboot and all that ! All the while doing my own thing. Finally said that after booting up, it says LINUX.That flipped him completely and swore in their own languages. I had a good laught to.

​i tried that last year or so. I think it's too risky to try that now because I heard of another scam where they ask you something band you say yes, they record that yes word as use it for your passwords.

the sad thing is I suspect it's talk talk staff passing on the information. I did report a fault with broadband and reported it last time. I told talk talk and they don't believe me
maybe there is a fault on your line?
ever think of that?
sofiasar

​lol, that's another great idea. I was thinking of screaming on the p … ​lol, that's another great idea. I was thinking of screaming on the phone but I thought the first 2 methods failed so this should work I shall get my whistle out ready for future

​Get your whistle out Sofs!!
Gollywood

​Get your whistle out Sofs!!

​lol. I will because on my mobile i get calls saying Iv had a car accident in the last 2 years! apparently they claim that they have my number from road accident database or something similar, not actually sure what but I haven't had a accident. I know people have been receiving alot of calls for this lately.

I remember cold calling was famous with double glazed windows, then ppi, then solar panels and now this. wonder what's next , refund for brexit votes lol
I never get calls like this. Feeling a bit left out......
Onlydongles

I used to get them (less frequently now) and if I have the time I string … I used to get them (less frequently now) and if I have the time I string them along. (longest was 55 minutes) Giving them excuses like someone at the door, wait for my kettle is overboiling, and then PC starting very slowly. (Once bootup took 12 minutes) confirming to him that indeed there MUST BE a virus or something , getting them excited at the prospect. And then the PC crashed again, so have to reboot and all that ! All the while doing my own thing. Finally said that after booting up, it says LINUX.That flipped him completely and swore in their own languages. I had a good laught to.

X)
After they ring, you can block the last number on talk talk something like 14582. You can block 10 numbers. This won't stop them completely but it helps a lot. The only other thing you can do is change your number. I've been getting them for a few years.
splatsplatsplat

​its a private number. talk talk can't do anything about it. I can only block private numbers ringing me that's all
sofiasar

​its a private number. talk talk can't do anything about it. I can only b … ​its a private number. talk talk can't do anything about it. I can only block private numbers ringing me that's all

The usual number is 0014****** which ive been blocking. I went a few months with no calls, had a few more last week. I pretended to be french just to **** with their heads.
I usually get the recorded messages phoning a couple of times a day trying to sell me new windows etc. Its a novelty when I get a scammer I can vent my frustration on.
whitebook

I usually get the recorded messages phoning a couple of times a day … I usually get the recorded messages phoning a couple of times a day trying to sell me new windows etc. Its a novelty when I get a scammer I can vent my frustration on.

All the automated sales calls I get ask you to press the same number to speak to an agent, '5' as I recall ( haven't answered one for quite a while).

So I press 5 at the start of the recorded message without waiting to be prompted, so I get put through to an agent without having to listen to all the recorded sales twaddle and get to vent at a real person and can waste their time too. I frequently get sworn at, but I find that rather satisfying :D.

Edited by: "melted" 28th Feb 2017
psychobitchfromhell

I never get calls like this. Feeling a bit left out......

​maybe it's something to do with your name....
jayman1986

​maybe it's something to do with your name....

​haha that's funny
After twice nicely asking never to be called I decided to be a Australin drug dealer and asked how many kilos of cocaine they were prepared to buy. A bit confused I then offered them my services to make people disappear, hasten to say they didn't call back that day lol!
I've managed to cut all my cold calls down. Gone from about 3 a day to 1 or 2 a week.

You've got to play along with the PC ones now, I've booted them into virtual machines and stuff just to see what they do. Was a time that telling them i worked in IT was enough, but now if you play dumb and p!ss them about for half an hour they'll remove you from the lists.
Edited by: "Krooner" 28th Feb 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants