Groups

Receiving Scratched/Used Discs From Shops

Ive noticed a worrying trend from shop recently whereby they are sending out scratched/clearly used unsealed games and sellling them you as new.

I have had it with Gamestation instore many times, up to the point where I simply wont buy new stuff from them anymore but I have just bought a load of games from HMV, they are all unsealed and scratched, clearly either returns or not very well stored

one game was in a sainsburys money bag inside the box and was scratched probably due to storage, the other is a 3 disc'er and discs 2 and 3 are badly scratched and have clearly been used.

Is this a sign of things to come, these big stores sending us out their old returns and rubbish ? drives me mad, I now have to return it at my own cost.

17 Comments

You shouldn't have to return at your own cost if they are scratched ?
    Edit,i meant you'll be reimbursed.

Retailers I've had unsealed used looking games from in the last 3 months...

SoftUK
    ChoicesUK
    Shopto

if the are selling used things as new then they're breaking the law it has to be clearely stated they are used under the trade descriptions act im sure

Original Poster

Mallinersha;5020489

Retailers I've had unsealed used looking games from in the last 3 … Retailers I've had unsealed used looking games from in the last 3 months...SoftUKChoicesUKShopto

I think they all get them form the same sources, someone somewhere is gettiung all the returns and selling them on at discount prices, thats my theory.

Why would HMV have a game sealed in a Sainsburys bag otherwise?

If a shop doesn't have a sealed copy I just walk out. If I get an unsealed box from an internet retailer I return it straight away.

This is definitely getting more common! It used to be restricted to crappy storage in some high-street retailers, which I never understood anyway. If they're so bothered about things walking off the shelves they should use dummy boxes not soil the product.

iNSOMANiAC;5020621

I think they all get them form the same sources, someone somewhere is … I think they all get them form the same sources, someone somewhere is gettiung all the returns and selling them on at discount prices, thats my theory.Why would HMV have a game sealed in a Sainsburys bag otherwise?

They must do, on one of my games you could see that there was stickers ripped off from other game shops!

HMV have sent me CDs that have obviously been used before!

Didnt complain, Just dont use them anymore. I found their delivery times were longer than other sites anyhow.

Original Poster

SteveBrule;5020708

HMV have sent me CDs that have obviously been used before!Didnt complain, … HMV have sent me CDs that have obviously been used before!Didnt complain, Just dont use them anymore. I found their delivery times were longer than other sites anyhow.

This is the problem you see, if people dont complain they'll carry on doing it !

Always send them back and phone them to tell them do it again and you're off to give somewhere else your money.

a lot off shops eg tesco, sainsbury store the games or music in seperate folders, they get scratched through the handling process. Game and Gamestation do the same. A lot off stores dont display the stock on shelf due to stealing.

I agree that when you buy Cds or games that are unsealed you cant be sure that they are new or used or returns. The other thing to note is when a customer returns a game and states its an unwanted gift, if the assistant doesnt check it then they will sell that as new, but it could have been used and marked!

Original Poster

leecroot;5021150

a lot off shops eg tesco, sainsbury store the games or music in seperate … a lot off shops eg tesco, sainsbury store the games or music in seperate folders, they get scratched through the handling process. Game and Gamestation do the same. A lot off stores dont display the stock on shelf due to stealing. I agree that when you buy Cds or games that are unsealed you cant be sure that they are new or used or returns. The other thing to note is when a customer returns a game and states its an unwanted gift, if the assistant doesnt check it then they will sell that as new, but it could have been used and marked!

Im not so concerned when this is the case but one of these games is clearly used, it has a ring round it where the disc drive has scratched it and the other scratches are all in different directions, completely unacceptable

Original Poster

sent them an email but heard nowt back, typical !

Mallinersha;5020489

Retailers I've had unsealed used looking games from in the last 3 … Retailers I've had unsealed used looking games from in the last 3 months...SoftUKChoicesUKShopto

Add TheHut to that list.

iNSOMANiAC;5024693

sent them an email but heard nowt back, typical !

HMV dont seem to bother responding to emails, emailed them a few days back about a cancelled order and had no reply.
    Tried ringing instead and of course they were unhelpful
    Doubt i'll ever order from these guys again unless they start selling bars of gold for £1 each ;/

i managed to get hold of a guitar hero wired guitar from argos for £9.99 so i wanted a game lol so went into gamestation (west brom) and saw the aerosmith solus for £14.99 so thought why not. paid and moved away from counter and due to keep receiving scratched/used games from shops i always check disc before leaving shop.
    and guess what the disc was scratched...... told the guy and he said "that was the last one i just pop it in the disc cleaner for you" to which i replied "ermmm no mate i paid for a new one i want a new one"
    he looked at me funny and said "they are only scratched because they are took out the case and left in the draw"
    "here is a tip for you, DONT PUT THEM IN THE DRAW THEN!!! can i just get a refund please" i said.
    he then gave me a refund and i walked out, i am sick of this with game/gamestation. in-fact i am going to contact watchdog over it

shatpank81;5031306

i managed to get hold of a guitar hero wired guitar from argos for £9.99 … i managed to get hold of a guitar hero wired guitar from argos for £9.99 so i wanted a game lol so went into gamestation (west brom) and saw the aerosmith solus for £14.99 so thought why not. paid and moved away from counter and due to keep receiving scratched/used games from shops i always check disc before leaving shop.and guess what the disc was scratched...... told the guy and he said "that was the last one i just pop it in the disc cleaner for you" to which i replied "ermmm no mate i paid for a new one i want a new one"he looked at me funny and said "they are only scratched because they are took out the case and left in the draw""here is a tip for you, DONT PUT THEM IN THE DRAW THEN!!! can i just get a refund please" i said.he then gave me a refund and i walked out, i am sick of this with game/gamestation. in-fact i am going to contact watchdog over it

:thumbsup: Good luck though :morons all round

Original Poster

shatpank81;5031306

i managed to get hold of a guitar hero wired guitar from argos for £9.99 … i managed to get hold of a guitar hero wired guitar from argos for £9.99 so i wanted a game lol so went into gamestation (west brom) and saw the aerosmith solus for £14.99 so thought why not. paid and moved away from counter and due to keep receiving scratched/used games from shops i always check disc before leaving shop.and guess what the disc was scratched...... told the guy and he said "that was the last one i just pop it in the disc cleaner for you" to which i replied "ermmm no mate i paid for a new one i want a new one"he looked at me funny and said "they are only scratched because they are took out the case and left in the draw""here is a tip for you, DONT PUT THEM IN THE DRAW THEN!!! can i just get a refund please" i said.he then gave me a refund and i walked out, i am sick of this with game/gamestation. in-fact i am going to contact watchdog over it

Had a similar experience with Aerosmith game in Gamestation in Manchester Arndale, last one in the shop extremely scratched, the manual was dirty the box was even scratched, took it back the next week and asked why they were selling used games as new, the bloke ignored me and carried on asking me about something else, I asked him again he ignored me again, I gave up.... that snot like me im usually a right bar steward but its like talking to a swamp, I wouldnt buy a new game from Gamestation again now unless its a major major bargain. Scammers !
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3331197
      2. What is there free to do in your town?1422
      3. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…57
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread417214139

See more discussions