Recent 21"/27" iMac Refurb Posts - Free 1 Year AppleCare and Mac OS X Lion

Found 24th Sep 2011
For anyone who recently purchased any of the recent refurb iMac deals from Currys/Dixons/PC World (listed at the end of this post).

If you go to the following links, you may get a free years worth of Apple Care and a free copy of Mac OS X 10.7 [Lion] (or at least I did...):

Free AppleCare:
selfsolve.apple.com/agr….do
Type in your Serial Number and follow the instructions to send in your proof of purchase (a screenshot of the Dixons 'My Orders' page was enough for me).

Free OS X Lion:
uptodate.apple.com/uk/…sx/
Just go through and enter your details. Again, attach a screenshot of your Order Confirmation from Dixons/Currys/PC World.

Within 24 hours they had updated the warranty status (so if anything goes wrong I can go direct to Apple instead of Dixons) and another 24 hours after that I had a code to allow me to redeem a copy of Lion via the Mac App Store.

Not sure if Apple's stance would be the same if the iMac was bought via DSG's eBay store, but it's gotta be worth a try.

Hope this helps someone.

Relevant Deals:
hotukdeals.com/dea…269

hotukdeals.com/dea…955

hotukdeals.com/dea…783

hotukdeals.com/dea…502

hotukdeals.com/dea…750
Community Updates
19 Comments
Hi adambaz. The post was for brand new iMac which I received it was factory sealed and as mentioned in the post I returned it as managed to get a better deal overall.
Thanks for this post though it will help those ppl that got a refurb model.
I got my currys ebay imac warranty updated. 12 months from the date I purchased it instead of the 1 month that was left originally plus the option of 2 more years with applecare. Now waiting on OSX lion upgrade. Great information OP.
davestavros

I got my currys ebay imac warranty updated. 12 months from the date I … I got my currys ebay imac warranty updated. 12 months from the date I purchased it instead of the 1 month that was left originally plus the option of 2 more years with applecare. Now waiting on OSX lion upgrade. Great information OP.

They keep asking me for the date of purchase, reseller information, itemized product information, and total price paid. I sent them my order details, which includes all that information, but still not luck. How did you get it?
anil2

They keep asking me for the date of purchase, reseller information, … They keep asking me for the date of purchase, reseller information, itemized product information, and total price paid. I sent them my order details, which includes all that information, but still not luck. How did you get it?

Mine came in a box that was wrapped in plastic. between the box and the plastic was a piece of paper that said something like "Your item has arrived!".At the bottom of that piece of that piece of paper there is all of the order details (date, item number, seller etc.). I just scanned that and sent it to them. On the warranty page there is an option at the bottom it says:

"If you believe that the information shown for your product is incorrect, you can submit your proof of purchase online or by fax. Your sales receipt is needed for warranty validation, so be sure to keep it in a safe place. Your warranty is the same whether or not you register."

Click to submit proof of purchase and in the comment section say something like "I bought this imac the other day and I would like to register myself as the owner".

That is what I did but maybe I just had someone less thorough than you got. You can probably just email currys/PC world outlet and get them to send you another copy of that piece of paper if you threw it away. I am still yet to hear about the Lion upgrade but I was more concerned with the warranty anyway. Good luck. You may as well just keep submitting it until you get someone who is a bit sounder and lets you have it.
davestavros

Mine came in a box that was wrapped in plastic. between the box and the … Mine came in a box that was wrapped in plastic. between the box and the plastic was a piece of paper that said something like "Your item has arrived!".At the bottom of that piece of that piece of paper there is all of the order details (date, item number, seller etc.). I just scanned that and sent it to them. On the warranty page there is an option at the bottom it says:"If you believe that the information shown for your product is incorrect, you can submit your proof of purchase online or by fax. Your sales receipt is needed for warranty validation, so be sure to keep it in a safe place. Your warranty is the same whether or not you register." Click to submit proof of purchase and in the comment section say something like "I bought this imac the other day and I would like to register myself as the owner". That is what I did but maybe I just had someone less thorough than you got. You can probably just email currys/PC world outlet and get them to send you another copy of that piece of paper if you threw it away. I am still yet to hear about the Lion upgrade but I was more concerned with the warranty anyway. Good luck. You may as well just keep submitting it until you get someone who is a bit sounder and lets you have it.

Yeah il give it another shot! Thanks mate
Any joy?
If you aren't sure about the paperwork, just request a formal invoice from the seller. I bought an iMac from a non-authorised reseller on eBay after Curry's screwed up my order and sold my refurb purchase to someone else with no more left in stock.

I just emailed the seller and asked for a formal invoice, which he supplied. I used this to start my year's warranty with Apple from my purchase date. Apple was happy to take my invoice even though it had sale by eBay and no invoice number on it, which seems to be one of the requirements.

If you don't do this, Apple will set the estimated warranty date at a month after product launch, which would have lost me four months of warranty and all of the 90 days of telephone help. This should work with any new or refurb purchase as long as the item has not been registered with Apple before.

I cheekily also tried for the free upgrade to Lion but Apple wasn't having any of it. You do need to supply an invoice from an authorised reseller. Those are listed on the Apple website.
Edited by: "spraint" 15th Oct 2011
i got lion upgrade but they would not give me applecare 1yr, i sent my currys sales reciept but they kept demanding copy of apple care registration number or purchase reciept.
When I try the Applecare link, I get taken to a page telling me it's £139....
just a shameless bump

have submitted my formal invoice from currys for a warranty extension and for the lion disk

will report back to see how I get on

cheers!
got an extra year on the macbook pro i bought

havent received a reply for lion

gonna apply for an extra year on an imac ive got too, will report back
so the formal receipt worked with the imac too

niiicee
can someone help. just got my imac form currys today, i go to check the link given and put in my serial number whhich says i have till 29th november 2012. how do i send apple confirmation to extend this to a year?
interesting...
I can't find a link now on the site listed above to submit proof of purchase, however at this link: apple.com/uk/…ct/ if you put your serial in, there is a link to submit proof of purchase.
rexdare

i got lion upgrade but they would not give me applecare 1yr, i sent my … i got lion upgrade but they would not give me applecare 1yr, i sent my currys sales reciept but they kept demanding copy of apple care registration number or purchase reciept.

hulltigs

can someone help. just got my imac form currys today, i go to check the … can someone help. just got my imac form currys today, i go to check the link given and put in my serial number whhich says i have till 29th november 2012. how do i send apple confirmation to extend this to a year?

Same here, i have sent them literally 5 different screen dumps of everything and scanned the "YOUR ORDER HAS ARRIVED" and they reply saying they need more.. any advice? Mine says it is due to expire August 2012 but i only just bought it (currys ebay refurb) 2 weeks ago. thanks!
Edited by: "SpideyPunk" 5th Apr 2012
rexdare

i got lion upgrade but they would not give me applecare 1yr, i sent my … i got lion upgrade but they would not give me applecare 1yr, i sent my currys sales reciept but they kept demanding copy of apple care registration number or purchase reciept.

hulltigs

can someone help. just got my imac form currys today, i go to check the … can someone help. just got my imac form currys today, i go to check the link given and put in my serial number whhich says i have till 29th november 2012. how do i send apple confirmation to extend this to a year?

OK finally they replied! (after 48hrs!) and they have validated applecare from my purchase date. Write an email to currys requesting a formal invoice and then forward that to apple! they also added Telephone support until June, no good for me but might help someone out

PS: could never find the link for the Lion update disc, anyone?
Edited by: "SpideyPunk" 7th Apr 2012
Thanks for the post - I sent my proof of purchase for a refurb 27" iMac and Apple reset the warranty to the purchase date. I also complained to PCWorld as I did not have iLife included and they refunded me £34.99 which is the current Amazon selling price.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants