Recent vile experience of Currys PC world

Posted 12th Mar
purchased an pink Amazon tablet for my daughter.
5 months later, stops working.
was purchased for £100 in the sales ( usually £130).
the local Currys store didn't have any in stock so requested I purchase another one online & get it delivered to the store.
than I could cancel the order in the store , refund me the cost.
than as they would have one in stock I could use the original recioet to exchange the faulty tablet.
so paid £130 and the tablet arrived in the local store. they had no online stock of the pink version so orders a yellow one. Would have preferred pink but yellow would suffice.
anyway get to the store and a rather small obnoxious manager deals with my transaction. He refuses to exchange on the grounds the faulty tablet was pink and the one I was trying to exchange was yellow so not the same item. He wanted £30 on top as it was the RRP and not the sake price I had purchased it.
He seemed to suggest I was trying to dupe Currys by getting a better model. I pleaded to him bar the colour it was the same item and there was no pink stock so I had no option. A heated debate ensued. He refuses despite all the facts. He did offer £100 refund but current price has gone. up to £130.
He seemed to imply I was trying to exchange it for a newer better more expensive Version.
the tablet in ? Was a fire HD 8 kids.
as far as I could see both tablets were identical bar the colour.
I returned home with high blood pressure and rang customer services. They were brilliant. Stated they should exchange an item closest to the original item and so the manager should have allowed the exchange.
I returned to the store and rang the same person on customer services who spoke to the manager to try to convince him to allow the exchange.
Manager stuck to his line ( technically not the same item ).
the wonderful chap on the phone from customer services than said buy it at the full price of £130 and he would refund me the £30.
In the end the manager did see common sense and did allow the exchange.
he complained that I was rude to him. I did say a few things like " he's got small bloke complex) he was tiny.
In the end all happy but what a pain.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
You'd get anyone's back up with that attitude.
Edited by: "Erudite" 12th Mar
What has his height got to do with it? We can't all be tall.
"Vile" experience you say, the manager would probably say that you were Vile to him. Meanwhile in many parts of the world people are fighting against a disease that has killed over 3000 in China, over 800 in Italy, and 354 in Iran, now that really is vile....
adamderak12/03/2020 10:21

Is HUKD full of little angry men??

Ah yes of course, because you can only be against something if you experience it yourself.

Most normal, rational, nice people will have a problem with others who target people based on their physical appearance rather than their actions. Honestly I'm surprised he didn't lamp you based on what you said to him.

I suggest you educate yourself so you can bring up your child without your vile attitude. Or maybe you can just bully them if they grow up to be small...
54 Comments
Currys are indeed the worst high street retailer out there. The customer service in probably all stores I have had the misfortune to shop in has been entirely abysmal. I had a similar experience with a purchase last summer. Eventually got there, but the person dealing it was similar in character. I really do not understand how they’re still going. We have seen Comet, Maplin etc. go, I wouldn’t really miss Currys if it disappeared.
You'd get anyone's back up with that attitude.
Edited by: "Erudite" 12th Mar
"Vile" experience you say, the manager would probably say that you were Vile to him. Meanwhile in many parts of the world people are fighting against a disease that has killed over 3000 in China, over 800 in Italy, and 354 in Iran, now that really is vile....
JimboParrot12/03/2020 10:11

Rather be small than tall and vile!
I echo previous comments. I hate Currys more than anyone but to be honest as he offered the £100 refund, that's all he's legally obliged to do.

We've just been spoiled by excellent customer services and expect more. We should instead just praise those that do more than legally obliged, like amazon and John Lewis. Vote with your wallet.

Again, not helping with the height insults.
I agree with you adamderak. It was common sense. Some people are just so clueless. All they care about is turning up to work and getting paid.
I would have taken the £100 refund and went elsewhere if I was getting nowhere. I suppose exchanging like for like when the price has went up is down to manager's discretion, and I'd assume most stores would do it anyway - though getting into an argument pretty much erases any chances of that.

As I always say to boyf (who tends to lose his temper, whereas I'm more diplomatic) "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar".

I've had a few man-splaining conversations in Currys (I usually research before I step into a store)
MadeDixonsCry12/03/2020 10:24

I echo previous comments. I hate Currys more than anyone but to be honest …I echo previous comments. I hate Currys more than anyone but to be honest as he offered the £100 refund, that's all he's legally obliged to do.We've just been spoiled by excellent customer services and expect more. We should instead just praise those that do more than legally obliged, like amazon and John Lewis. Vote with your wallet.

not really, if you read the OP he said he was told to order one online and then refund/exchange that one in store, then they refused to do what was promised. Insults don't help but I can understand the frustration.
I should add I only got irate after the manager refused to exchange and implied I was trying to exchange it for a more expensive model.
Having an ill daughter at home waiting for her tablet did not help my mood.
We left on good terms but it was all unnecessary.
athunder12/03/2020 10:50

not really, if you read the OP he said he was told to order one online and …not really, if you read the OP he said he was told to order one online and then refund/exchange that one in store, then they refused to do what was promised. Insults don't help but I can understand the frustration.

Cs team assumed store manager would be a little more helpful but store manager was just a jobsworth.

Cs team pulled through after argument between customer and brick store.

It's not worth giving these scum your money.

Ah yes of course, because you can only be against something if you experience it yourself.

Most normal, rational, nice people will have a problem with others who target people based on their physical appearance rather than their actions. Honestly I'm surprised he didn't lamp you based on what you said to him.

I suggest you educate yourself so you can bring up your child without your vile attitude. Or maybe you can just bully them if they grow up to be small...
HottyHotty12/03/2020 11:02

Ah yes of course, because you can only be against something if you …Ah yes of course, because you can only be against something if you experience it yourself. Most normal, rational, nice people will have a problem with others who target people based on their physical appearance rather than their actions. Honestly I'm surprised he didn't lamp you based on what you said to him.I suggest you educate yourself so you can bring up your child without your vile attitude. Or maybe you can just bully them if they grow up to be small...

When faced with an arrogant pompous stubborn person determined to stop the most obvious logical solution , excuse me if I got a little riled.
With your attitude is it no wonder companies get away with terrible customer services.
Next time he tries to use his little power to make himself feel better he might think otherwise.
On that note I did a device that should be commended lol
One positive is I've been given 6 months Spotify code, which I will be giving away here.
I haven't been in a Currys/Dixons/PCWorld and now Carphone warehouse since 1989 and I feel great about it.
Pandamansays12/03/2020 11:29

I haven't been in a Currys/Dixons/PCWorld and now Carphone warehouse since …I haven't been in a Currys/Dixons/PCWorld and now Carphone warehouse since 1989 and I feel great about it.

I will be following your path of avoidance..
adamderak12/03/2020 11:20

When faced with an arrogant pompous stubborn person determined to stop the …When faced with an arrogant pompous stubborn person determined to stop the most obvious logical solution , excuse me if I got a little riled. With your attitude is it no wonder companies get away with terrible customer services.Next time he tries to use his little power to make himself feel better he might think otherwise.On that note I did a device that should be commended lol

Yes, my attitude of not bullying people based on physical attributes means companies can get away with terrible customer service.

Sure. OK. Of course. Nice logic.
Usually you find if you get nowhere with a company in store, chatting by DM on Twitter usually resolves it. I've never blasted any company online by slipping into personal retorts, just stick to the facts. Happened with Argos recently where there were items missing from a L'Oreal gift set (happened to many, who got partial refunds, but my store refused to budge).
You sound like the rude one.
HottyHotty12/03/2020 11:51

Yes, my attitude of not bullying people based on physical attributes means …Yes, my attitude of not bullying people based on physical attributes means companies can get away with terrible customer service.Sure. OK. Of course. Nice logic.

I'll give him a kiss and a piggy back next time I see him if that makes you happy
My best advice is not to go to Currys/Dixons/PC World. They have tried to improve in the last 5-10 years, but I haven't seen much evidence of it. There is a disconnect between stores and between their contact centre - the two often say different things and don't agree with each other.

The store managers rule the roost and they have the final say on things. Sometimes their decision can't be altered by evidence obtained from webchat with the contact centre. Sadly.

Over decades, I have learned never to be irate with customer service people, whether manager or shop assistant.

Remember as customer it's you that has the ultimate power. Your money and where you choose to spend it is crucial. So go elsewhere for future tablet purchases. As regards this one, write a good old fashioned letter of complaint and it will be solved in your favour I am sure.

Best wishes.
adamderak12/03/2020 11:58

I'll give him a kiss and a piggy back next time I see him if that makes …I'll give him a kiss and a piggy back next time I see him if that makes you happy

When I was in management in a DSG store. You were told not to always hide behind policy, refund within 28 days for faulty items. Swap where necessary and other things.
The one thing I always, always drew the line at was an form of attack against a member of staff. I’d always ask the person to leave the store, to then come back when they’d calmed down.
This manager didn’t do his job properly. I’ve had similar situations since leaving the group trying to do a return myself. However consumers have no rights if they don’t treat people with respect.
All this negative posting against the OP saddens but doesn't surprise me. The manager may have been short, however OP may be a midget , dwarf or whatever the PC term is today. So criticism is perception not necessarily fact. The service was bad, I think everyone can agree on that, I certainly wouldn't be happy. Unfortunately large companies empower their managers with a false sense of autocracy. The managers then try to live up to their perception of the company's expectation of them.
As for the OP calling him out for being short...I have a friend from Barbados, black doesn't begin to describe his skin colour. We discussed prejudice one day and his attitude is that in an argument you naturally pick on something the other person is that you are not, then stick a noun on it. ie a tall person may call a short person a 'little xxxx'. A black guy may call a white guy 'you white xxxxx' Someone who doesn't wear glasses may call someone who does 'a four eyed xxxx'. This sort of thing doesn't bother him, why should it, he's as guilty as the rest of us.
So after OP is upset, I can understand his anger - though perhaps posting his feelings on here may not be the wisest thing he's done today.
I thought if you bought a kids kindle that amazon would replace without fuss any problem with it for the first 2yrs. No matter what your child did to it.
Sounds like you lost your cool over nothing and made an as of yourself.
I’d like to hear his version.
snoopy1812/03/2020 12:35

Sounds like you lost your cool over nothing and made an as of yourself. …Sounds like you lost your cool over nothing and made an as of yourself. I’d like to hear his version.

Not really i got the replacement tablet which as in the above post should be replaced under the 2 years guarantee.
Not sure how standing up for the initial contract of purchase is making an ass.
adamderak12/03/2020 12:42

Not really i got the replacement tablet which as in the above post should …Not really i got the replacement tablet which as in the above post should be replaced under the 2 years guarantee.Not sure how standing up for the initial contract of purchase is making an ass.

What two years warranty? Do you mean the manufactuer warranty?
Did your daughter like her new yellow tablet? Is she any better now?
AndyRoyd12/03/2020 12:53

What two years warranty? Do you mean the manufactuer warranty?

There is a 2 years warranty but it broke down under 6 months
JumpMan198012/03/2020 12:58

Did your daughter like her new yellow tablet? Is she any better now?

Her mum seems to be more upset about it not being pink, she is grand and not one bit bothered by its Banana colour.
adamderak12/03/2020 13:02

The 2 years warranty is with the manufacturer, not the merchant. If you wish to claim against the manufactuer warranty you reasonably contact the manufacturer, not the supplier.
adamderak12/03/2020 13:02

The merchant has consumer obligations for up to 6 years. The manager attempted to discharge those obligations by exercising its right to provide full refund of £100 purchase price, which seems reasonable. Only you and the manager know at what stage the manager became aware of another arrangement to discharge those obligations, and the manager is not here to present his case.
AndyRoyd12/03/2020 13:09

The 2 years warranty is with the manufacturer, not the merchant. If you …The 2 years warranty is with the manufacturer, not the merchant. If you wish to claim against the manufactuer warranty you reasonably contact the manufacturer, not the supplier.

The retailer can be responsible because your contract under Sale of Goods legislation is with them and the manufacturer because for the first 12 months or so after purchase you are likely to be covered by a manufacturer's warranty.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants