Rechargeable batteries for xbox controller

Posted 15th Apr
Looking for advice on rechargeable aa batteries

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
Cant you just get a play and charge kit, see Here for example, or Compatible one
Edited by: "ding" 15th Apr
Wouldn't recommend the Microsoft play and charge went through 3 of them in warranty had to keep sending back to replace

Venom is what I'm using have got the stand not the cable like the link above
Edited by: "jjmmww1" 15th Apr
I bought EBL 2800mah ones for mine last week. Put the first pair in on Saturday and must have played about 20 hours since then, still shows about 3/4 full on the Xbox so not sure it's even tracking it properly but i'm happy with them as had expected to have to change them every day or two.
Edited by: "Zooicidal" 15th Apr
Panasonic's Eneloop models are the gold standard for rechargeable AA and AAA batteries, but also among the more expensive.

I'm not sure which are decent value at the moment. Ikea's white-coloured Ladda batteries are a favourite for those with a local ikea store, but a no go right now as Ikea's delivery charges are high.
I use the “premium” Amazon rechargeables (made in Japan ones) and they seem fine in the controller. Seem to last 10+ hours of Minecraft
EndlessWaves15/04/2020 13:03

Panasonic's Eneloop models are the gold standard for rechargeable AA and …Panasonic's Eneloop models are the gold standard for rechargeable AA and AAA batteries, but also among the more expensive. I'm not sure which are decent value at the moment. Ikea's white-coloured Ladda batteries are a favourite for those with a local ikea store, but a no go right now as Ikea's delivery charges are high.

The pro ones? £13.95 on amazon for 4? I’m in need of batteries myself for my Xbox controller, noob when it comes to these... any recommended charger for the batteries? Thank you.
I just use normal rechargeable batteries the Energizer ones they last a lot longer than the official ones
EndlessWaves15/04/2020 13:03

Panasonic's Eneloop models are the gold standard for rechargeable AA and …Panasonic's Eneloop models are the gold standard for rechargeable AA and AAA batteries, but also among the more expensive. I'm not sure which are decent value at the moment. Ikea's white-coloured Ladda batteries are a favourite for those with a local ikea store, but a no go right now as Ikea's delivery charges are high.

Did a fair bit of googling for tests before buying mine and EBL 2800mah ones seem to last the same as Eneloop Pro, can be charged 1200 times vs the Eneloop Pro 500 times and almost half the price at £7.99 for 4. The only downside as far as i can tell is they supposedly have a faster discharge rate when not being used but that's not much of a problem for a controller where you'll be swapping them out every few days, more an issue if using them in a remote control where the spare set will be in a drawer for a year.
DEALS4EVA15/04/2020 13:22

The pro ones? £13.95 on amazon for 4? I’m in need of batteries myself for m …The pro ones? £13.95 on amazon for 4? I’m in need of batteries myself for my Xbox controller, noob when it comes to these... any recommended charger for the batteries? Thank you.

The Pro ones trade away some durability for a bit more capacity so the standard 1900mAh ones are the default choice for most things. If the Xbox controller does drain in a few days you could consider the pro ones though.

Avoid the Panasonic chargers, the UK plug ones are almost invariably terrible.

Generally you're looking for a 'smart' charger that's detect when batteries are full (typically through voltage and/or temperature) rather than operating on a fixed timer. Only being able to charge batteries in pairs is a bad sign. I don't know which models are popular at the moment though.

Zooicidal15/04/2020 14:12

Did a fair bit of googling for tests before buying mine and EBL 2800mah …Did a fair bit of googling for tests before buying mine and EBL 2800mah ones seem to last the same as Eneloop Pro, can be charged 1200 times vs the Eneloop Pro 500 times

There's lots of chinese stuff on Amazon claiming to be two and a half times better than the competition. Much of it is junk.

Going by the reviews on them they're not even claiming the correct capacity so it's highly unlikely the lifetime is accurate either, it's probably not even tested to the same IEC 61951-2 standard as Panasonic and other mainstream manufacturers.

A product like that I'd want to see independent testing before I took any of their claims seriously, otherwise I'd expect no more than comparable performance to similarly priced batteries.
EndlessWaves15/04/2020 18:57

There's lots of chinese stuff on Amazon claiming to be two and a half …There's lots of chinese stuff on Amazon claiming to be two and a half times better than the competition. Much of it is junk.Going by the reviews on them they're not even claiming the correct capacity so it's highly unlikely the lifetime is accurate either, it's probably not even tested to the same IEC 61951-2 standard as Panasonic and other mainstream manufacturers.A product like that I'd want to see independent testing before I took any of their claims seriously, otherwise I'd expect no more than comparable performance to similarly priced batteries.

Yeah that capacity is more like 2650 than 2800 but they've been around for a good number of years now and well tested. As for charge cycles even if they are off by a similar amount it should still be double the Eneloops. If Eneloops were a similar price i'd have gone with them but at half the price it's hard to argue value.

Ha kinda feels like i'm defending the ones i chose, because i chose them. I did do my research first, i swear

As for the guy asking about chargers Nitecore and Xtar are the two main ones that get recommended most places. Have had both the Nitecore i4 and Xtar VC4 and both did exactly the same job just with the Xtar having a screen with info that you'll ignore unless just popping the batteries in to measure voltage.

Edit - Eneloops not Enelops and voltage not volatage, oops.
Edited by: "Zooicidal" 15th Apr
I use Tronic batteries from Lidl mate. Pretty cheap and do the job fine for my needs. I'd stay away from online ordering as you never really know what you are going to get. Play and charge kits are good for convenience but always seem to be lower capacity.
Zooicidal15/04/2020 19:13

Yeah that capacity is more like 2650 than 2800 but they've been around for …Yeah that capacity is more like 2650 than 2800 but they've been around for a good number of years now and well tested. As for charge cycles even if they are off by a similar amount it should still be double the Eneloops.

I just came across these tests that compare various longevity aspects across various batteries including the EBL 2.8Ah ones. The methodology and published information isn't terribly clear, but he does do various tests and the EBL ones come last in all or almost all of them.

There are much worse batteries out there than the EBL ones, but they're definitely not top notch panasonic-beating quality.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions