Groups

Rechargeable internet/DAB radio

Does anybody know of any rechargeable internet/DAB radios? I want it for my kitchen so I can just turn 6 Music on whenever I'm in there. I haven't got any sockets where it will live, so the rechargeable element is important. Needs to have good battery life and not use batteries that require removing and putting in a separate charger, just a unit that you can plug in to charge. Preferably micro USB connection!

I used to own one of these but sold it on eBay. Totally regret it now, it's exactly what I am after but they don't seem to sell it anymore! trustedreviews.com/Q2-…iew

Don't really wanna pay over £50. Nearer £30 if possible (the one linked to above cost me £30)

13 Comments

Original Poster

Mud8oy

dean_brfcLooks like your are limited in whats available currently, a … dean_brfcLooks like your are limited in whats available currently, a quick search shows these but not within your budget I'm afraid...https://www.amazon.co.uk/MoreAudio-Desire-Digital-Radio-Alarm/dp/B01LX8RX49/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486039970&sr=8-2&keywords=rechargeable+radiosor https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roberts-Unologic-Digital-Radio-Battery/dp/B002L760W2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1486039970&sr=8-5&keywords=rechargeable+radios

That More Audio one looks perfect.

Cheap smartphone with an app to listen to channels broadcast on DAB? Would even double as a spare phone if you chose to shove a SIM in it.

Pure One Mi @ £28 + optional Pure battery pack @ £18 rated 2200mAh which allegedly is good for 18hrs.
    The happy medium may be to identify a DAB that runs on a 5V supply and then power it off an external USB power pack such as used for emergency power for smartphones. As an example: the quoted Pure One Mi is such a device and I think has a micro-USB power socket for its externally-supplied power. There may be some faff identifying cable pin-out connections.

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

Cheap smartphone with an app to listen to channels broadcast on DAB? … Cheap smartphone with an app to listen to channels broadcast on DAB? Would even double as a spare phone if you chose to shove a SIM in it.

Want something with a bigger sound really. I think a cheap phone speaker would get drowned out by the noises of the kitchen.

AndyRoyd

Pure One Mi @ £28 + optional Pure battery pack @ £18 rated 2200mAh which a … Pure One Mi @ £28 + optional Pure battery pack @ £18 rated 2200mAh which allegedly is good for 18hrs.The happy medium may be to identify a DAB that runs on a 5V supply and then power it off an external USB power pack such as used for emergency power for smartphones. As an example: the quoted Pure One Mi is such a device and I think has a micro-USB power socket for its externally-supplied power. There may be some faff identifying cable pin-out connections.

That's an interesting option. I do have a big power pack that only gets used a few times a year for festivals, has a cable with loads of different connectors on it too. Might look a little bit messy though, we're short on work surface space as it.

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

£21.95 dlvd ex-UK http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291577892013£25.95 dlved e … £21.95 dlvd ex-UK http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291577892013£25.95 dlved ex-UK http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112130116912

Ah, think you've nailed it. Just read some reviews for the Chesterton, think I'll buy that.

Noticed whilst reading on Amazon that they do a white version, which will look better in my kitchen. £19.95 for that colour. Might even be worth you posting this as a deal! ebay.co.uk/itm…396?hash=item464b789cdc:g:ymIAAOSwP~tW4uTm
    Edited by: "dean_brfc" 2nd Feb

dean_brfc

Ah, think you've nailed it. Just read some reviews for the Chesterton, … Ah, think you've nailed it. Just read some reviews for the Chesterton, think I'll buy that. :)Noticed whilst reading on Amazon that they do a white version, which will look better in my kitchen. £19.95 for that colour. Might even be worth you posting this as a deal! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Majority-Chesterton-DAB-FM-Digital-Portable-Radio-With-Rechargeable-Battery-/301913906396?hash=item464b789cdc:g:ymIAAOSwP~tW4uTm

TBH I didn't bother mention the refurb models such as the £19.95 white one. There are other rechargeable prof-refurb DABs on the bay from £17+ delivered if that floats your boat, some in nice shade of pink.

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

TBH I didn't bother mention the refurb models such as the £19.95 white … TBH I didn't bother mention the refurb models such as the £19.95 white one. There are other rechargeable prof-refurb DABs on the bay from £17+ delivered if that floats your boat, some in nice shade of pink.

This one? ebay.co.uk/itm…949?hash=item43fad59c0d:g:MckAAOSw44BYUCpB Think I'll pass!

I went with the white Arbury for £23.95 in the end. Didn't realise that was the newer model, battery life is almost twice as long if the specs are right.

dean_brfc

This one? … This one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Goodmans-GMR1888DABPNK-Portable-Rechargeable-Digital-DAB-FM-Radio-Pink-B-/291971111949?hash=item43fad59c0d:g:MckAAOSw44BYUCpB Think I'll pass!I went with the white Arbury for £23.95 in the end. Didn't realise that was the newer model, battery life is almost twice as long if the specs are right.

Not looked at specs but some manufacturers employ colourful marketing techniques by quoting battery life when powering headphones rather than the integral speaker(s). Battery life when using speakers will be approx half that of when using headphones.

Stream on your smartphone but connect to Bluetooth speaker. Can then stick your own tunes on when the people's playlist isn't to your taste etc.

Original Poster

DLiquidator

Stream on your smartphone but connect to Bluetooth speaker. Can then … Stream on your smartphone but connect to Bluetooth speaker. Can then stick your own tunes on when the people's playlist isn't to your taste etc.

I sold the Q2 I mentioned in the first post to do that. It's a ball ache having to leave my phone near to the speaker though, and even though it's only a few seconds, it's still feels like 10x more effort than pressing "on" when I go in the kitchen.

AndyRoyd

Pure One Mi @ £28 + optional Pure battery pack @ £18 rated 2200mAh which a … Pure One Mi @ £28 + optional Pure battery pack @ £18 rated 2200mAh which allegedly is good for 18hrs.The happy medium may be to identify a DAB that runs on a 5V supply and then power it off an external USB power pack such as used for emergency power for smartphones. As an example: the quoted Pure One Mi is such a device and I think has a micro-USB power socket for its externally-supplied power. There may be some faff identifying cable pin-out connections.

AndyRoyd

I'd endorsed the suggestion for a Pure Mi. Had mine 3 yrs and use it every day. Battery lasts at least 6 hours using DAB, probably longer but never tried. Get a non-original battery pack on EBay for less money, I've had no problems with mine.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Music download33
      2. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…33
      3. Advertised on Gumtree55
      4. Remortgaging to pay off debt89

See more discussions