Recieved a spam message containing my full name

Found 15th Nov 2011
I just received the following text message from 07860003006 with my full name in it:

XXXXX XXXXX as you have had a loan/credit card with PPI you are entitled to claim your money back Text info for a free pack or call 08448736067

Couldn't find anyone else who'd had the same message (obviously omitting my name) so thought I'd start a thread in case someone else googled it. It does worry me slightly that they have my name. There's probably only a handful of companies out there that have my mobile number as I always prefer to give out my landline to avoid receiving such texts.

I might also add that I recently applied for an AA reward plus credit card and received this text a few days ago and did provide them with my mobile number.
Community Updates
16 Comments
and
Just ignore it , you will have left a box unticked on some form which allows them to sell ur details on
jase.2

Just ignore it , you will have left a box unticked on some form which … Just ignore it , you will have left a box unticked on some form which allows them to sell ur details on

Or they'll have sold them on regardless. Happens all the time because businesses think they can get away with it.

This PPI stuff is obviously a real money spinner - adverts on TV and aggressive marketing. Weird how you can do all you need to yourself for nothing. I find it amusing they're making money out of thick people for being thick personally.
Edited by: "anewman" 15th Nov 2011
dataload

and

and if anyone else had received this message and/or has any information then I invite them to share it.
I'm getting loads of these messages but general ones without name. Are you with t-mobile by any chance? I've used most providers and have only ever had a problem with t-mobile...
Russ2626

I'm getting loads of these messages but general ones without name. Are … I'm getting loads of these messages but general ones without name. Are you with t-mobile by any chance? I've used most providers and have only ever had a problem with t-mobile...

Same here, Always had a problem with t-mobile and spam msgs.
jase.2

Just ignore it , you will have left a box unticked on some form which … Just ignore it , you will have left a box unticked on some form which allows them to sell ur details on

I most definetely haven't, I am very particular about giving out my information and take care filling out forms online. Every single website I join has a unique e-mail address which I can trace spam from, see this thread.

Where possible I use an alias and give out a false mobile/landline number. I very rarely give out my real mobile number just like that so it must have been a reputable company that I gave it to.
Russ2626

I'm getting loads of these messages but general ones without name. Are … I'm getting loads of these messages but general ones without name. Are you with t-mobile by any chance? I've used most providers and have only ever had a problem with t-mobile...

I'm with O2 and have reported it to them. I wouldn't care if it didn't contain my full name as it could have randomly guessed my number.
flyingflea I always prefer to give out my landline to avoid receiving such texts.
I would prefer text messages than those noobs who call you at 3am to see if you want to buy a Sleep tight Mattress oO
Never give out the lanline number unless you trust them.
Edited by: "WheresMeNuts" 15th Nov 2011
flyingflea

and if anyone else had received this message and/or has any information … and if anyone else had received this message and/or has any information then I invite them to share it.

Try posting a message on these two sites:

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/07860003006

http://www.whophonedme.co.uk/07860003006

It seems you are not alone in having your full name on the text.

ps You might wanna "flea" the country
(inb4 wrong spelling of flee)
I keep getting ones from Halifax confirming my appointment with them...

I don't and have never banked with Halifax, strange.

XXXXX XXXXX

Don't you hate it when your parents give you the same christian name as your surname
Syzable

Don't you hate it when your parents give you the same christian name as … Don't you hate it when your parents give you the same christian name as your surname

That's just the swear filter kicking in.
markq

Try posting a message on these two … Try posting a message on these two sites:http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/07860003006http://www.whophonedme.co.uk/07860003006It seems you are not alone in having your full name on the text.ps You might wanna "flea" the country :p(inb4 wrong spelling of flee)

Cheers for links, just added my text to them.
Can't say I've had that message, but I did recently get one from +447967539044 (or 07967539044, for anyone googling for that version of the number), purportedly from possibly the same spam merchants. The message just read, "Looking for a loan? We have new lenders, complete online in 5mins. theonlinepeopleuk.co.uk No guarantor. Any credit history. To opt out reply stop".

The number itself, I guess is probably just a regular PAYG SIM with a load of free texts attached to it. Probably GiffGaff, or someone like that. How they got the number, I don't know. I very rarely get these sorts of texts. That said, I did get a slew of them (along with calls to both house and mobile numbers, asking for me by my real name, rather than the modified name I always give when I'm buying online) around the time that I got mugged. Only my employer and Lothian & Borders police knew about the incident and had both numbers on record, so I'm guessing it was L&B police. However, if this means that my number was retained by whoever they sold it to and resold again, I don't know. We both could just have been sent texts off the back of a phone number generator. So 07756640331 could've been next in line after me, followed by 07756640332, and so on.
dxx

Can't say I've had that message, but I did recently get one from … Can't say I've had that message, but I did recently get one from +447967539044 (or 07967539044, for anyone googling for that version of the number), purportedly from possibly the same spam merchants. The message just read, "Looking for a loan? We have new lenders, complete online in 5mins. http://www.theonlinepeopleuk.co.uk No guarantor. Any credit history. To opt out reply stop". The number itself, I guess is probably just a regular PAYG SIM with a load of free texts attached to it. Probably GiffGaff, or someone like that. How they got the number, I don't know. I very rarely get these sorts of texts. That said, I did get a slew of them (along with calls to both house and mobile numbers, asking for me by my real name, rather than the modified name I always give when I'm buying online) around the time that I got mugged. Only my employer and Lothian & Borders police knew about the incident and had both numbers on record, so I'm guessing it was L&B police. However, if this means that my number was retained by whoever they sold it to and resold again, I don't know. We both could just have been sent texts off the back of a phone number generator. So 07756640331 could've been next in line after me, followed by 07756640332, and so on.

Not sure if this will be of use to you but I've read (on the internet) that most spam text messages are sent via the internet and you can contact your network provider to block all text messages originating from the internet
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants