Recieving letters for an unknown person at my address

Found 15th Jan 2013
I started receiving letters for an unknown person at my address. I opened the letters, one was from halifax that the person has drawn over the limit from his bank account for over £1500. The next one was from Lloyds TSB advising him of the charges that will incur for his overdraft on his next statement.

I returned all the letters to sender.

I don't think it was a mistake from the sender as it cannot happen with Halifax and Lloyds at the same time.

Wont this affect the credit rating of my house? What do I do to avoid any bad credit history?
Community Updates
MiscLondon
27 Comments
You will be fine, debt is attributed to the individual and not the address of the house. Just return eveything you get.
Houses don't have credit ratings!
God your in the dog house now, big ricks gonna turn up to take your washing machine...........

Just send the back to sender, be prepared for a debt collector to knock at your door within a few months. Just show them some ID and explain you have no idea who they are.

Id also talk to the 2 banks
Isn't it against the law to open someone else's mail...I'm calling the Fedz
Mark "Addressee not known at this Address" and return to Sender WITHOUT Opening.! It is actually illegal to open someones mail, wether it is marked personal or not ( although maybe different if they have power of attourney)

You may find that by opening before returning to sender, you may get more because sender may believe they have correct address if mail has been opened and addressee is choosing to ignore it.

The only way your address could be affected is as far as i know , if someone with the same surname shares the address and have debts.
Edited by: "IWOOTN" 15th Jan 2013
DarkEnergy2012

Isn't it against the law to open someone else's mail...I'm calling the … Isn't it against the law to open someone else's mail...I'm calling the Fedz

Only if for fraudulent purposes.
ed1980

God your in the dog house now, big ricks gonna turn up to take your … God your in the dog house now, big ricks gonna turn up to take your washing machine...........Just send the back to sender, be prepared for a debt collector to knock at your door within a few months. Just show them some ID and explain you have no idea who they are. Id also talk to the 2 banks

Debt Collectors have to prove the property they are taking belongs to the person owing the debt - otherwise its theft!

1. Contact the banks and inform them that the person doesn't live at this address.
2. If the letters continue, phone them again and be somewhat sterner (speak to the manager).
3. If the letters still continue - threaten the banks claiming it is harassment. You can then proceed to make a formal complaint.
Edited by: "118luke" 15th Jan 2013
i thought u had to have proof of abode before u open accounts with bank
you should shredded ur mail incase they got ur address from it
this happened to me i had to go to court over this took 10 month to sort it out
Thank you for all the feedbacks
It is illegal to open mail addressed to someone else, we were told by royal mail as we get loads of letters for people who used to live at our house.
dawnheadley2

i thought u had to have proof of abode before u open accounts with … i thought u had to have proof of abode before u open accounts with bankyou should shredded ur mail incase they got ur address from itthis happened to me i had to go to court over this took 10 month to sort it out

I always shred anything which shows my name or address as after throwing mobile phone bill for a year in bin some one took two mobile phone contracts in my name from CPWH. I didn't realise it until I paid a visit to my friends at my previous address where I have found lots of letters from debt recovery agencies in my name.
dawnheadley2

i thought u had to have proof of abode before u open accounts with … i thought u had to have proof of abode before u open accounts with bankyou should shredded ur mail incase they got ur address from itthis happened to me i had to go to court over this took 10 month to sort it out

It's not in OPs name, what has shredding mail got to do with anything? Addresses can be found anywhere.
interesting find from here

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061023123702AABq6Sw

When in transit (postbox to letterbox) all mail is Her Majesty's property. Once it lands though the owner's letterbox, it becomes their property.

Tampering with mail that is anything but your property is an offence - either against the addressee, or the Queen.
Try googling the name and postcode (or ask neighbours) - it might be just a typo on the house number?
(looking on the bright side)
ichayan

interesting find from … interesting find from herehttp://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061023123702AABq6SwWhen in transit (postbox to letterbox) all mail is Her Majesty's property. Once it lands though the owner's letterbox, it becomes their property.Tampering with mail that is anything but your property is an offence - either against the addressee, or the Queen.

Did you read the top answer?

Interfering with mail - Postal Services Act 2000 Section 84A person … Interfering with mail - Postal Services Act 2000 Section 84A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person's detriment and without reasonable excuse, opens a postal packet which they know or suspect to have been delivered incorrectly.

You have to be acting to a persons detriment and without a reasonable excuse for it to become an offence.

Ar460rn

Try googling the name and postcode (or ask neighbours) - it might be just … Try googling the name and postcode (or ask neighbours) - it might be just a typo on the house number?(looking on the bright side)

Two different banks cannot make typos I think.
Edited by: "ichayan" 15th Jan 2013
ichayan

interesting find from … interesting find from herehttp://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061023123702AABq6SwWhen in transit (postbox to letterbox) all mail is Her Majesty's property. Once it lands though the owner's letterbox, it becomes their property.Tampering with mail that is anything but your property is an offence - either against the addressee, or the Queen.

I can verify this.

Fraud was being commited at my address and the credit cards even turned up at my home.

I witheld them and refused to hand them over and the fraudster complained to the police who were going to arrest me for it!
loulou11

I can verify this. Fraud was being commited at my address and the credit … I can verify this. Fraud was being commited at my address and the credit cards even turned up at my home. I witheld them and refused to hand them over and the fraudster complained to the police who were going to arrest me for it!

How did it get resolved at the end?

I suspect this as fraud as well.
ichayan

Two different banks cannot make typos I think.

But the same applicant 'could' write the number incorrectly twice.
Having said that Halifax and Lloyds must have had proof of his address to open the accounts.
If the letters have been returned, nothing much to be done for now, but if you get any more from those banks, I would take them to your nearest branch, unopened, and speak to the branch manager.
ichayan

How did it get resolved at the end?I suspect this as fraud as well.

I wasn't arrested but I did have to make a statement saiyng I refused to hand over the cards and I had shredded them already and that due to the fact it was fraudelent behaviour I assumed I was within my rights to do so. The CPS decided not to pursue it.

I had also called the credit card companies who refused to speak with me as I wasn't the account holder! So shocked as I was not expecting that kind of response.

I never heard anymore.

No new cards were recieved at my address and as far as I know, the person has never tried to get any other credit from our home again. Whether they were prosecuted, I don't know.
When we moved from Lincolnshire to Yorkshire we had our mail redirected and got some one else's bank statements all his details on them I took them straight to bank also wrote to bloke who's mail it was told him to get on to bank and post office never even said thanks
dawnheadley2

Shows just how secure the banks are, doesnt it.
loulou11

I wasn't arrested but I did have to make a statement saiyng I refused to … I wasn't arrested but I did have to make a statement saiyng I refused to hand over the cards and I had shredded them already and that due to the fact it was fraudelent behaviour I assumed I was within my rights to do so. The CPS decided not to pursue it..

So, fraudsters went to the police and reported you for not handing over their credit cards.
The police then handed the case over to the CPS. Hmmmmmm.
thesaint

So, fraudsters went to the police and reported you for not handing over … So, fraudsters went to the police and reported you for not handing over their credit cards. The police then handed the case over to the CPS. Hmmmmmm.

somebody who had been living at or sharing the address at some point i would guess
We've been with the same bank for years then after a problem decided we might switch. We went to another bank and opened an account and switched a few direct debits over to give them a try. In the end we never made the full switch over and keep the second banks account going in case either of us lost our cards and its the card we take abroad rather than use our main bank account. Anyway, when we opened this second bank account we had to bring passports or driving licences and two utility bills.
credit ratings are personal to you not your address. They probably changed their address to slow down the debt collectors.
It's not illegal to open post that is to your address, regardless of the name on it. That's a US law. And yes, credit rating is by person, not address. I'd flag it as fraud with the banks and they'll sort it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants