Groups

Recommend a car

I'm looking to replace my ageing clunking VW Polo (08 plate, 1.4 petrol, 3 door), but I have no idea what with so I'm hoping the HUKD hive mind can give me some suggestions.

Not worried about lease v buying deals yet, just ideas for models I should consider.

Drive to work is about 8 miles each way, half back roads and half motorway. But 3-4 times a year I'll do a trip home, which is about a 600 mile round trip, so still wants to be something fairly comfortable for long motorway runs.

I saw the Astra lease deal earlier, but I've been advised against it due to poor rear visibility and the 1.4 engine not being powerful enough. If anyone has counter arguments then I'll listen!

36 Comments

The Batmobile.

an Aston Martin DBS. They're nice.

What about a newer polo or if u want bigger a golf or audi a3

VW Golf 1.6 TDi

SgtJok3r

VW Golf 1.6 TDi

​Seconded.

IF you wanted the Astra and why not if its cheaper enough then go for the Turbo model. If that's the car you want, the advice I suggest is phoning a few lease companies and asking for a Astra WXYZ that you want for the price you want to pay. Its generally an open book and they don't turn down sensible offers/requests, its esp. easy on popular models.

Original Poster

groenleader

IF you wanted the Astra and why not if its cheaper enough then go for the … IF you wanted the Astra and why not if its cheaper enough then go for the Turbo model. If that's the car you want, the advice I suggest is phoning a few lease companies and asking for a Astra WXYZ that you want for the price you want to pay. Its generally an open book and they don't turn down sensible offers/requests, its esp. easy on popular models.

I'm not particularly drawn to the Astra, was just mentioning that I'd seen it as it had been a recently posted deal

Original Poster

SgtJok3r

VW Golf 1.6 TDi

TDi on an 8 mile journey? Wouldn't the DPF need cleaning all the time?

Original Poster

123batman321

What about a newer polo or if u want bigger a golf or audi a3

I've not been very impressed with my Polo, but it feels like a Friday afternoon build so I'm willing to accept another VW might not be as bad! A3 could be a good shout, I'll add that to my list. Cheers.

ford focus every time 1l eco boost best there is in that range

Magoo_222

I saw the Astra lease deal earlier, but I've been advised against it due … I saw the Astra lease deal earlier, but I've been advised against it due to poor rear visibility and the 1.4 engine not being powerful enough. If anyone has counter arguments then I'll listen!

The 150 horsepower, 245nm torque one? If so then someone's pulling your chain.

If your only criteria is polo levels of motorway refinement than almost everything is suitable so you're primarily going to get people giving you their favourite cars - I quite like the Mazda 6 and DS3 & DS5 - rather than something that may appeal to you.

What ya budget broseph

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

The 150 horsepower, 245nm torque one? If so then someone's pulling your … The 150 horsepower, 245nm torque one? If so then someone's pulling your chain.If your only criteria is polo levels of motorway refinement than almost everything is suitable so you're primarily going to get people giving you their favourite cars - I quite like the Mazda 6 and DS3 & DS5 - rather than something that may appeal to you.

I'd looked at it as 150bhp on a 2 tonne car, vs Polo being 80bhp on a 1 tonne car, so power to weight isn't as good? Haven't test driven one myself, possibly still worth giving it a look then.

Happy to take any suggestions, even if it's just "have a look at Citroën, their latest models are good value for money" etc.

Have a look at a fiesta or focus. For that mileage I'd go for a petrol.
    Best thing you can do is get yourself down to a car supermarket like motorpoint or similar to see loads of different models in one place.

A3?

Another vote for petrol with the daily mileage you do.

Don't underestimate how capable even small engines are these days.

I have a 5 year old 1.2 i20, and tbh on motorways it is like silk at 70.

avoid diesel for that usage.

I'd also avoid the ford ecoboost - I've heard far too many stories of engine failures.

If you like the polo then look at the various VW group offerings. audi/vw/seat/skoda.
    Id also look at the kia and hyundai - long warranty and actually good cars these days.

tbh I'd suggest going along to a car supermarket and looking/ sitting in as many as possible.

Audi Q2 suits you perfect.

honda civic or one of the toyota depend on size u want aygo yaris or corolla. check.how much u can get lpg on ur local area u can have a conversion done from a lpg approved place for under 1k these days for a decent job and that will give u good mileage better than a similar diesel if u can get lpg for under 50p a litre. some areas are very cheap around 40p a litre others can be expensive around 70p+ then I wouldn't bother. or if u have private off road parking there's some lease deals on nissan leaf electric cars which work out good to run.

i have a nice prius for sale if you are interested

jamierichardson129

an Aston Martin DBS. They're nice.

​Had a Db9 some years ago, nothing but trouble!

sowotsdis

If you have £1,5 million this is nice

​I think you may be mistaking me for mutley!

Magoo_222

I'd looked at it as 150bhp on a 2 tonne car, vs Polo being 80bhp on a 1 … I'd looked at it as 150bhp on a 2 tonne car, vs Polo being 80bhp on a 1 tonne car, so power to weight isn't as good? Haven't test driven one myself, possibly still worth giving it a look then. Happy to take any suggestions, even if it's just "have a look at Citroën, their latest models are good value for money" etc.

Your weight estimate is a tad high there. The only cars that normally reach 2 tons kerb weight are limos and off-roaders, stuff like the Range Rover Sport and Mercedes S-class.

The Astra is around 1.2 tons, so it'd be like a 125 horsepower engine in your 1 ton polo.

There are lots and lots of cars out there and they're almost universally good. If you want random recommendations then I drove past the local Suzuki garage the other day and they had the new Ignis out front in white - that's a nice looking bit of Japanese design.

I'm not a fan of most small crossovers, but the Jeep Renegade is surprisingly nice in person too. It's certainly not conventionally pretty, but it has a certain friendly chunkiness about it. The interior has also clearly had a lot of Fiat's small car expertise put into it. If it appeals at all then it's worth looking past that grille.

Magoo_222

I'd looked at it as 150bhp on a 2 tonne car, vs Polo being 80bhp on a 1 … I'd looked at it as 150bhp on a 2 tonne car, vs Polo being 80bhp on a 1 tonne car, so power to weight isn't as good? Haven't test driven one myself, possibly still worth giving it a look then. Happy to take any suggestions, even if it's just "have a look at Citroën, their latest models are good value for money" etc.

Seriously, take someone with you when you go to a dealership as it's clear you know nothing about cars. Make sure it's not the person who gave you this advice about the Astra as they're equally clueless.

The new Astra is a very good car and has scored highly in reviews. If you are concerned about rear visibility - opt for parking sensors. The 150bhp engine will be a big improvement over your polo.
    Tbh if i was you i wouldn't be looking at anything else.

Magoo_222

TDi on an 8 mile journey? Wouldn't the DPF need cleaning all the time?

No, but every so often just accelerate quickly on a straight stretch of road and that blows any dirt out.

Source: VW mechanics at dealership. I had that car, did the above and never had any problems with it and I was also doing short trips most of the time.

I have a Mazda 3 and I love it. I've driven the latest model and it's a brilliant drive, looks good, economical and comfortable. I can't wait to upgrade but sadly I keep spending my money on deals I spot on here lol. Hopefully, in next couple of years I'll upgrade to latest model.

bullhorn

No, but every so often just accelerate quickly on a straight stretch of … No, but every so often just accelerate quickly on a straight stretch of road and that blows any dirt out.Source: VW mechanics at dealership. I had that car, did the above and never had any problems with it and I was also doing short trips most of the time.

The dpf regeneration doesn't quite work like that.

The car decides when it might be a good time to do it's regen, Usually when you've been driving at 50mph+ on a straight road it'll probably opt to start a regen, But it takes several minutes to complete so if your journey ends while the cycle is incomplete it'll have to do it again, The next time it thinks it's suitable.

Tbf the VW dpf system is one of the better ones but just thrashing it every now and again will only work if it activates the regeneration.

Doing so few miles save your money keep what you got until it dies.

shauneco

The dpf regeneration doesn't quite work like that.The car decides when it … The dpf regeneration doesn't quite work like that.The car decides when it might be a good time to do it's regen, Usually when you've been driving at 50mph+ on a straight road it'll probably opt to start a regen, But it takes several minutes to complete so if your journey ends while the cycle is incomplete it'll have to do it again, The next time it thinks it's suitable.Tbf the VW dpf system is one of the better ones but just thrashing it every now and again will only work if it activates the regeneration.

I was just stating what I'd been told by a few VW mechanics at two different dealerships that's all, if I'm wrong I'm wrong, fair enough.
    I didn't say to thrash the car though, just accelerate quickly. There is a difference.

bullhorn

No, but every so often just accelerate quickly on a straight stretch of … No, but every so often just accelerate quickly on a straight stretch of road and that blows any dirt out.Source: VW mechanics at dealership. I had that car, did the above and never had any problems with it and I was also doing short trips most of the time.

Sorry mate thats for the egr valve, the dpf requires long distance driving frequently to burn off the build up.

HamanBasher

Sorry mate thats for the egr valve, the dpf requires long distance … Sorry mate thats for the egr valve, the dpf requires long distance driving frequently to burn off the build up.

Cheers, I'll let the dealership know they are talking out of their ****.

Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it's been useful. Will head along to a big car supermarket type place and have a look at what they offer. It looks like I may have written off the Astra too soon so I'll give that a proper look, Audi A3 has been suggested a couple of times, and I'll do some research into the others that have been mentioned (Bashstreet, if you could send me the link to the batmobile that'd be great, I'll take it for a spin but I suspect the mpg would bother me after a while)

Magoo_222

(Bashstreet, if you could send me the link to the batmobile that'd be … (Bashstreet, if you could send me the link to the batmobile that'd be great, I'll take it for a spin but I suspect the mpg would bother me after a while)

Well, if you've got a spare £54,420 then the you could always pick up one of these brand new:
    http://www.mitsuoka-motor.com/global/lineup/images/himiko_ph07.jpg
    mitsuoka-motor.co.uk/roa…er/

Second hand ones are available of course, but they've only been selling them here for a year or two so they're still £40Kish. It's been manufactured since 2010 though so there's probably one or two older private imports around, being Japanese they are right hand drive.

Be careful with the car supermarkets, you tend to get carried away.

I nearly got carried away with a car for the GF a few years ago, the deal looked great - until I checked my local dealer and found the same spec, year, and with 1/2 the mileage for over £1,000 less AND 0% payments.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority11
      2. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…66
      3. wharf comp - win a michael grant watch - email entry only22
      4. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card11

See more discussions