Recommend a cheap Android phone for offline satnav?

Posted 6th Aug
I'm looking for a cheap Android phone to use as an offline satnav on my bicycle. I'm a bit out of touch with the latest offerings, but these are my criteria:

• Needs GPS, wifi for setup, and to be able to run the free OsmAnd mapping app.

• It wouldn't matter if the phone is locked to a particular network as I have no intention of using mobile data.

• Would also rather avoid second hand phones if possible as I don't know how their batteries would fare.

• Screen resolution needs to be greater than the 442 x 960 pixels that some of the cheapest ones offer, as that's pretty useless for mapping!

Any suggestions on what to get and how much it would cost?
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
apocrypha06/08/2020 16:56

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/43-htc-hd-hd2-t8585-unlocked-with-charger-manufacturer-refurbished-grade-a-delivered-for-ps971-at-ebay-mobstartrade-3515924

Certainly a great price! But the screen is only 480 x 800 pixels according to that thread, and it's got Windows Mobile 6.5 installed on it instead of Android.
I had a HTC Incredible S that I found at the back of the draw. That came with 768MB RAM. It would crash anytime I tried to install anything from the Play store. Try looking for a dual sim phone, then put 2 three sims that come free with 200MB of data every month click.
I_Wish06/08/2020 19:01

I had a HTC Incredible S that I found at the back of the draw. That came …I had a HTC Incredible S that I found at the back of the draw. That came with 768MB RAM. It would crash anytime I tried to install anything from the Play store. Try looking for a dual sim phone, then put 2 three sims that come free with 200MB of data every month click.

Eh? What would be the purpose of putting 2 SIM cards in the phone...
paul_merton06/08/2020 19:08

Eh? What would be the purpose of putting 2 SIM cards in the phone...

You get free 200MB of data per sim, so that's 400MB of data in total. Use that free data for your sat nav (just in case).
Edited by: "I_Wish" 6th Aug
I_Wish06/08/2020 19:12

You get free 200MB of data per sim, so that's 400MB of data in total. Use …You get free 200MB of data per sim, so that's 400MB of data in total. Use that free data for your sat nav (just in case).

It doesn't need any mobile data.
paul_merton06/08/2020 19:23

It doesn't need any mobile data.

I thinking additionally you can use the phone as a sat nav i.e in your car as well as your bicycle rides (extra functionality). It just an idea.
I_Wish06/08/2020 19:12

You get free 200MB of data per sim, so that's 400MB of data in total. Use …You get free 200MB of data per sim, so that's 400MB of data in total. Use that free data for your sat nav (just in case).

From the main thread for the data rewards sim, it seems that people aren't able to set the sims up for free anymore.
Just an update in case anyone else wants to do the same:

I ended up getting a used Moto G Play (1GB RAM, 16GB storage). OsmAnd runs fine, and only needs about 2GB of free space to store the entire UK map data offline (so an Android device with 8GB would probably also be fine). Switch it to cycling mode and it shows up all the cycle paths and trails too, yay!

The screen resolution is 1280x720, which seems fine for this use case, and another factor that I found appealing is that the battery is removable (although the one it came with seems fine, thankfully). Plus, as it was nice and cheap, I won't have to worry so much about breaking or losing it.

Best £12.99 I've ever spent
paul_merton11/08/2020 13:44

Just an update in case anyone else wants to do the same:I ended up getting …Just an update in case anyone else wants to do the same:I ended up getting a used Moto G Play (1GB RAM, 16GB storage). OsmAnd runs fine, and only needs about 2GB of free space to store the entire UK map data offline (so an Android device with 8GB would probably also be fine). Switch it to cycling mode and it shows up all the cycle paths and trails too, yay!The screen resolution is 1280x720, which seems fine for this use case, and another factor that I found appealing is that the battery is removable (although the one it came with seems fine, thankfully). Plus, as it was nice and cheap, I won't have to worry so much about breaking or losing it.Best £12.99 I've ever spent

I've been using ridewithgps on an ancient moto E in a handlebar stem mounted case to record my rides (when I can get some child-free time) and have it to sync up with strava (because strava wouldnt work directly with my cadence/heart rate monitors). I even have it running spotify with hours of music downloaded onto the sd card. It means my phone can stay in my pocket so I dont ever have to worry about the state of it's battery if I suddenly have the chance to get out for a ride!
Post a comment
@
    Text