Groups

Recommend a decent office PC base.. Build or Pre-built? £250 - £300

Hellooo

I'm after a new pc base unit for my business.

Currently have: AMD Sepron 140 2.7ghz CPU single core , 4GB RAM, 500gb and recently had to install a HD XFX HD-545X-ZCH2 Graphics Card in for cheap.

And it's slowing down and can't even handle a 1080p video full screen now. Firefox is very slow!

Main uses:

Running WINDOWS 7 not 10!

> Word, excel etc
    > Photoshop
    > Web design/coding
    > Internet browsing Fire fox multiple tabs
    > Kodi streaming/ Football on the weekend
    > Need a memory card reader also....important.

Something quick or quicker then what i have now...

NO GAMING!

>>> Budget £200 - £300 <<<

I use to build and mess about with computer back in the 2000's (I'm 32 lol) but I'm out of the loop by a few years and have no idea what CPU and RAM specs are good anymore. And not sure i even remember how to put one together!

I'm thinking of a Intel i3 or i5? i7 might be over kill i think? 4 or 8gb Ram? 1TB hard drive.

So would love some help from the young techno wiz kids please

60 Comments

HammerTime10

> Need a memory card reader also....important.

Is just SD cards acceptable or do you need other format support as well?

£300 is a much more generous budget then you spent on your last machine and will get you a mid-range desktop these days. i5/i7 are high end options and not needed, and will be difficult to find new in budget.

I would aim to get an SSD so the system feels more responsive and a modern video output (DisplayPort or HDMI 2.0) for future monitor support.

Ideally you want Intel's lastest Kaby Lake processors for best video decoding support (i3-7_00, Pentium G4560/G4600/G4620) but that may be a bridge too far and the CPU will be able to handle everything except the highest bit rate HEVC files anyway.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

Is just SD cards acceptable or do you need other format support as … Is just SD cards acceptable or do you need other format support as well?£300 is a much more generous budget then you spent on your last machine and will get you a mid-range desktop these days. i5/i7 are high end options and not needed, and will be difficult to find new in budget. I would aim to get an SSD so the system feels more responsive and a modern video output (DisplayPort or HDMI 2.0) for future monitor support.Ideally you want Intel's lastest Kaby Lake processors for best video decoding support (i3-7_00, Pentium G4560/G4600/G4620) but that may be a bridge too far and the CPU will be able to handle everything except the highest bit rate HEVC files anyway.

Hi Mate,

Thanks for the reply

I need a SD card reader for putting images onto micro SD then for my tablet to show clients stuff. at the moment i bought a SD reader bay and installed that into my PC.

But I use SD card for digital camera and Micro SD for the tablet. other formats not needed.

MY current PC was like £180 off ebay.

I was thinking of a SSD for just windows and then using my 500gb as the storage part? I have just bough a AOC monitor 23" LED IPS literally today as my old one went boom so it connects via HDMi.

And what you said here:

"Ideally you want Intel's lastest Kaby Lake processors for best video decoding support (i3-7_00, Pentium G4560/G4600/G4620) but that may be a bridge too far and the CPU will be able to handle everything except the highest bit rate HEVC files anyway."

No idea what you said lol. I won't be doing any video editing or anything mainly designing on Photoshop like leaflets and i do HTML webdesign using Microsoft Expression. nothing too system heavy. this old system did fine over the years but it seems to not handle multiple tasks anymore.

video wise just watching a movie on kodi at 1080p would be fine? i'm sure some on board GPU can handle that now a days right?

I'm looking on CConline and they have a few pc's

any good?

cclonline.com/pc/…rd/? CPU looks bit old though?

Edited by: "HammerTime10" 12th Jan

Original Poster

ok hows this?

cclonline.com/pc/…va/

Intel Core i3 6100 3.7GHz CPU
    8GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory
    ASUS H110M-PLUS Motherboard
    1TB Hard Drive
    Intel HD 530 Graphics Graphics
    DVD Drive
    3 Year Collect & Return Warranty
    300Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi

Your selected configuration
    £347.99 delivered

Too much?

Original Poster

or if i opt for an AMD CPU? I can squeeze a SSD on there

AMD A8 7670K 3.6GHz CPU
    8GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory
    Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-HD2 Motherboard
    120GB Solid State Drive
    1TB Hard Drive
    Radeon R7 Graphics
    DVD Drive
    300Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi

£353.99 delivered

cclonline.com/pc/…ha/

Original Poster

or save a bit and opt for the Dual core

Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz CPU
    8GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory
    ASUS H110M-PLUS Motherboard
    1TB Hard Drive
    Intel HD 510 Graphics Graphics
    DVD Drive
    300Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi

£292.99 delivered

I built my dad one with everything bought of Amazon the other week. Cost me 410 but it had an 6100 i3, ssd, 8gig ram and all card readers. You could use a pentium to save money. The 410 also included a real version of Windows 10 as well so could save money if you can get else where. I'll find links as on my phone atm

That's my dads build but that's using skylake i3 (intels 6th generation chip). You could buy a 7th gen pentium as the above chap said but you would need a different motherboard due to needing bios on 6th gen motherboard

Original Poster

fitzyfitz29

That's my dads build but that's using skylake i3 (intels 6th generation … That's my dads build but that's using skylake i3 (intels 6th generation chip). You could buy a 7th gen pentium as the above chap said but you would need a different motherboard due to needing bios on 6th gen motherboard

​thanks I'll have a look in a little bit

Original Poster

is the CPU fan missing on that list fella?

Comes with a basic intel one

HammerTime10

I was thinking of a SSD for just windows and then using my 500gb as the … I was thinking of a SSD for just windows and then using my 500gb as the storage part? I have just bough a AOC monitor 23" LED IPS literally today as my old one went boom so it connects via HDMi.

yeah, that's the normal setup. A 240GB SSD is a more comfortable size than a 120GB one if you can find it, but the margins are pretty small so the extra £20-30 it costs means it's often not available at all.

A 2009 HDD should be SATA so that'll be perfectly re-usable. I would guess your current memory card reader will be too, although they're only a few quid.

HammerTime10

No idea what you said lol. I won't be doing any video editing or anything … No idea what you said lol. I won't be doing any video editing or anything mainly designing on Photoshop like leaflets and i do HTML webdesign using Microsoft Expression. nothing too system heavy. this old system did fine over the years but it seems to not handle multiple tasks anymore.

Remember when DVD video first came to PC and you could buy MPEG decoder cards if you didn't have a powerful CPU?

The situation is similar right now, with the HEVC compression in the highest quality videos such as Blu-ray UHD currently taxing any but the most powerful CPUs. Hence the inclusion of dedicated playback hardware in GPUs and integrated graphics (which are part of the CPU these days, not the motherboard chip as they used to be).

Netflix currently only stream their highest quality video to the above-mentioned Kaby Lake CPUs.

It's more of a concern to more popular form factors like laptops, and especially tablets, with weaker CPUs (it's also much easier on battery life) but if you are a big video fan then it's something worth keeping an eye out for.

HammerTime10

I'm looking on CConline and they have a few pc'sany … I'm looking on CConline and they have a few pc'sany good?https://www.cclonline.com/pc/business-pcs/standard/#specifications-0100000005000200000001000004000001? CPU looks bit old though?

Just Intel's marketing, they give lower model numbers to the Pentium-branded versions of their CPU to make you think they're older/inferior. The G4400 is exactly the same CPU design as the i3-6100 (actually released slightly after it) just with a lower clockspeed and a couple of features disabled to make it slower.

Those CCL prices are too high - bear in mind that doesn't include a copy of windows. If you don't need a copy of windows then buy from somewhere offering the latest G4600 CPU. If you do then buying an off the shelf PC will be the same price or cheaper and include a copy of Windows saving you £75+

I got a HP 3rd gen i3 (i3-3220, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd) from a pc refurb business seller off the bay to replace my aging dual-core desktop. Cost £55, put in my SSD from the old desktop, it ain't slow! Best thing was, they stated that Windows wouldn't be activated but it was! Anyway, might be worth a think to save a few bob...

Edited by: "markystarky" 12th Jan

193 for new kaby lake i3 and motherboard of ari. aria.co.uk/Pro…xt=

aria.co.uk/Pro…xt=

Or 158 with a pentium

I'd pay the extra for a i3 kaby lake or stick with skylake

Original Poster

markystarky

I got a HP 3rd gen i3 (i3-3220, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd) from a pc refurb … I got a HP 3rd gen i3 (i3-3220, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd) from a pc refurb business seller off the bay to replace my aging dual-core desktop. Cost £55, put in my SSD from the old desktop, it ain't slow! Might be worth a think to save a few bob...

Got a link mate?

I am a business so i don't wanna spend more than i have too, if it was for my personal use it would be the dogs balls! but since every little penny counts in business i need something cheap(ish)

If anything is quicker than this AMD 140 Sepron I'm using now then I would be happy!

Original Poster

is it ok to put some ebay links on here lads? see what you think?

You are always better buying and building yourself as you know it's not gonna be some tin pot power supply. You might spend more (potentially) but will save on cheaper upgrades etc

Original Poster

fitzyfitz29

You are always better buying and building yourself as you know it's not … You are always better buying and building yourself as you know it's not gonna be some tin pot power supply. You might spend more (potentially) but will save on cheaper upgrades etc

To honest the ebay one i bough in 2011 has had no problems with it so far. which is surprising for me being a EX computer technician oO

Can i build or get something for around £200 or less? doesn't have to be a i3 or anything something that can handle a bit of multiples browsing tabs bit of youtube.

I can always get the SSD on it;s own and add it to the system to run windows off and have my old 500gb drive as storage

Original Poster

fitzyfitz29

You are always better buying and building yourself as you know it's not … You are always better buying and building yourself as you know it's not gonna be some tin pot power supply. You might spend more (potentially) but will save on cheaper upgrades etc

You build is out of my budget mate, could you pick something cheaper on the website? an AMD is also fine if that makes the price come down

if someone can build something on pcpart picker with a smaller budget and show me id be blessed

Edited by: "HammerTime10" 12th Jan

Dunno where you live but Manchester has aria and scan nearby for free collection. The pentium kaby lake is only 64.99 at scan.co.uk/pro…box

Maplins also for free collection

Original Poster

something like this would even be quicker than my current pc (_;)

ebay.co.uk/itm…235?hash=item5d65b6ff3b:g:0EQAAOSwDNdVlR8n

Original Poster

fitzyfitz29

Dunno where you live but Manchester has aria and scan nearby for free … Dunno where you live but Manchester has aria and scan nearby for free collection. The pentium kaby lake is only 64.99 at https://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-pentium-g4560-s-1151-kaby-lake-dual-core-4-thread-35ghz-3mb-cache-1050mhz-gpu-54w-cpu-box

I'm down in Kent mate

Original Poster

fitzyfitz29

Dunno where you live but Manchester has aria and scan nearby for free … Dunno where you live but Manchester has aria and scan nearby for free collection. The pentium kaby lake is only 64.99 at https://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-pentium-g4560-s-1151-kaby-lake-dual-core-4-thread-35ghz-3mb-cache-1050mhz-gpu-54w-cpu-box

Ok that's like half price of the i3 i see earlier! so what would the total be with this? all this is going over my head by the way hahaha

286 with kaby lake pentium. 4gig ram. Multi card reader. 1tb hard drive. No operating system or DVD drive

HammerTime10

Got a link mate? I am a business so i don't wanna spend more than i have … Got a link mate? I am a business so i don't wanna spend more than i have too, if it was for my personal use it would be the dogs balls! but since every little penny counts in business i need something cheap(ish) If anything is quicker than this AMD 140 Sepron I'm using now then I would be happy!

I got it from:
    stores.ebay.co.uk/kmd…il/
    They sell ex office kit i think, but mine was 100% AOK. Plenty fast enough for what I do with it

My actual item...
    ebay.co.uk/itm…AIT

Do you need a operating system. DVD drive?

Original Poster

I thought this would be easier than i first thought lol. I can use my existing 500gb hard drive i still have 128gb free on one partitioned drive!

Original Poster

fitzyfitz29

Do you need a operating system. DVD drive?

I can use the old DVD-r drive off my old PC as well as the sd card reader unit and a 500 gb Hard rive also have a HD XFX HD-545X-ZCH2 graphics card but it was £22 so it must be crap!

Also have 2 x 2gb DDR3 sticks

if this helps this is my current system anything salvageable on it?

http://i65.tinypic.com/117z0g0.png

I already have windows 7 64x Premium too

Original Poster

markystarky

I got it from:http://stores.ebay.co.uk/kmdretail/They sell ex office kit … I got it from:http://stores.ebay.co.uk/kmdretail/They sell ex office kit i think, but mine was 100% AOK. Plenty fast enough for what I do with it :)My actual item... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122270331525?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Cheers

This isn't too bad?

ebay.co.uk/itm…bf6

HammerTime10

Cheers :)This isn't too bad? … Cheers :)This isn't too bad? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AB2664-HP-Elite-8100-Core-i5-660-3-33GHz-6GB-Ram-1-5TB-HDD-W7-/351953185782?hash=item51f20b6bf6

That has a first gen i5. Pretty high power consumption. I would go 2nd / 3rd really. Should still be a reasonable price.

Oh, BTW my raspberry Pi's handle 1080p 3D movies no problem so anything relatively recent will do you for that.

Original Poster

markystarky

That has a first gen i5. I would go 2nd / 3rd really. Should still be a … That has a first gen i5. I would go 2nd / 3rd really. Should still be a reasonable price.

how do you know what gen they are? oO

HammerTime10

how do you know what gen they are? oO

I go by this rule... first gen 3 numbers, 2nd gen onwards 4 numbers starting 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7

Oh, I had a look at the seller I got mine from, looks like they are bundling the OS and charging more now... shame really. They have some nice looking units, but they don't have card readers.. cheap to buy one and fit though

There are other similar sellers on the bay with similar prices. I set myself the target of a decent 2nd / 3rd gen i3 for £50 and I wasn't far off...

Original Poster

markystarky

That has a first gen i5. Pretty high power consumption. I would go 2nd / … That has a first gen i5. Pretty high power consumption. I would go 2nd / 3rd really. Should still be a reasonable price.Oh, BTW my raspberry Pi's handle 1080p 3D movies no problem so anything relatively recent will do you for that.

I had the orginal RPi and used it for Kodi and it was fine bit slow but that was because ram was something like 256mb

I use an amazon fire tv 4k now with kodi at home it flies!

HammerTime10

I had the orginal RPi and used it for Kodi and it was fine bit slow but … I had the orginal RPi and used it for Kodi and it was fine bit slow but that was because ram was something like 256mbI use an amazon fire tv 4k now with kodi at home it flies!

My RPi 512 plays fine, but the interface is a bit slow. My RPi2 is much faster. They are streaming from an old Celeron D base unit (used as a server running Nas4Free - cost a fiver lol just added the drives) via old BT homeplugs. I like to do things as cheap as possible. Its a challenge lol
    I did spend a bit on 2 Enterprise WD drives though. Can't put a price on data

Look on fleabay for something like elitedesk 800. I have managed to get tower g1 version for £140 with i5-5670 4 gb ram. All I need to add was hdd. Windows 8.1 Pro serial embedded in bios. My one is still under HP warranty until September. All you need is bit of patience and you can fish a really good deal. There is loads of retired office pc's on fleabay. Find what you like and hunt for it.
    Good luck

Original Poster

majdzinski1979

Look on fleabay for something like elitedesk 800. I have managed to get … Look on fleabay for something like elitedesk 800. I have managed to get tower g1 version for £140 with i5-5670 4 gb ram. All I need to add was hdd. Windows 8.1 Pro serial embedded in bios. My one is still under HP warranty until September. All you need is bit of patience and you can fish a really good deal. There is loads of retired office pc's on fleabay. Find what you like and hunt for it.Good luck

​cheers lol its knowing what to look for now! all the CPU look the same now with a extra digit or an i or number at the end!

I have some time so I'll keep a look out

Original Poster

majdzinski1979

Look on fleabay for something like elitedesk 800. I have managed to get … Look on fleabay for something like elitedesk 800. I have managed to get tower g1 version for £140 with i5-5670 4 gb ram. All I need to add was hdd. Windows 8.1 Pro serial embedded in bios. My one is still under HP warranty until September. All you need is bit of patience and you can fish a really good deal. There is loads of retired office pc's on fleabay. Find what you like and hunt for it.Good luck

How does this sound ebay Refurb

£239

HP Z210 i5-2400 3.10GHz 8GB RAM 120SSD 500GB Windows 7 PC Tower NVS 300

> 2nd Generation i5-2400 Quad Core 3.10GHz
    > 8GB DDR3 RAM
    > 120GB SSD + 500GB SATA HDD
    > DVD-RW Installed
    > Nvidia Quadro NVS 300 GFX GDDR3 512MB
    > Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Original Poster

markystarky

My RPi 512 plays fine, but the interface is a bit slow. My RPi2 is much … My RPi 512 plays fine, but the interface is a bit slow. My RPi2 is much faster. They are streaming from an old Celeron D base unit (used as a server running Nas4Free - cost a fiver lol just added the drives) via old BT homeplugs. I like to do things as cheap as possible. Its a challenge lol :)I did spend a bit on 2 Enterprise WD drives though. Can't put a price on data

​if anyone's still about lol

does this sound like a good deal?.

Dell Vostro 470 Intel Core i5 3rd Gen 6 GB Ram 1TB HDD Win 7 HDMhI USB 3.0 DVD Rw

ProcessorIntel Core i5-3450 3rd Gen 3.1 GHz
    Operating SystemWindows 7 Pro
    RAM 6GB
    Hard Drive1000GB
    Optical Drive DVD RW
    Power Cable Included
    HDMI Port YES
    USB 3.0 and 2.0 YES
    Network Port YES
    VGA PortYES
    Front USB 3.0 Ports YES
    WIFI YES
    S/P DIF YES

£179ebay refurbished ko
    Edited by: "HammerTime10" 13th Jan

HammerTime10

​if anyone's still about loldoes this sound like a good deal?.Dell Vostro … ​if anyone's still about loldoes this sound like a good deal?.Dell Vostro 470 Intel Core i5 3rd Gen 6 GB Ram 1TB HDD Win 7 HDMhI USB 3.0 DVD RwProcessorIntel Core i5-3450 3rd Gen 3.1 GHzOperating SystemWindows 7 ProRAM 6GBHard Drive1000GBOptical Drive DVD RWPower Cable IncludedHDMI Port YESUSB 3.0 and 2.0 YESNetwork Port YESVGA PortYESFront USB 3.0 Ports YESWIFI YESS/P DIF YES£179ebay refurbished ko

With windows 7, which has only 3 years of support left, and no SSD? I wouldn't pay that unless you had a desperate need for the CPU power.

You can pick up a slightly older system using a Sandy Bridge (2nd generation) dual core for £70-90 which is a much better deal, for example:
    ebay.co.uk/itm…991?hash=item3f736b6df7:g:QoYAAOSwB09YKe-i
    ebay.co.uk/itm…088?hash=item2ef9357a30:g:340AAOSw44BYUTPE

If you want to buy new then I'd be looking at a Pentium G4400 or i3-4000 system with Windows 10 licence for around £250. The J and N series processors aren't worth the money.

Whatever you buy make sure it has at least 4GB of memory.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force2646
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767428
      3. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.38
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7261376

See more discussions