Posted 1 May 2022

Recommend a Jump Starter for an Electric Vehicle

I've been reading a lot of 12v battery failures for the Kona EV, so would like a portable jump starter / power bank in case of emergencies... the ones where you can charge phones / laptops too.

As i understand, being it's for an electric vehicle, it doesn't need a high amp rating?

Any recommendations would be most appreciated, thank you.
Community Updates
New Comment

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Not sure about EV but this has been fantastic for me and charged phones to

NOCO Boost X GBX45 1250A 12V UltraSafe
    Portable Lithium Jump Starter, Car Battery Booster Pack, USB-C Powerbank Charger, and Jump Leads for up to 6.5 amazon.co.uk/dp/…SPC
    Honestly not sure about electric vehicles but I've had this one for about 3yrs now..
    argos.co.uk/pro…7:1
    I can't fault it in the time I've had it.
    Used it on my fiat diesel (when I had it) and on my motorbike when it had been stood.
    It's probably a bit overpriced as I needed one on the day I bought it.
    The RAC has EV breakdown cover where they can give you a charge - rac.co.uk/bre…ver

Does it not come with breakdown cover from new? That would cover this surely?
    Wouldn't it be better to replace the low voltage battery in the car? Or are the failures other modules draining the battery and will affect whichever battery you put in?
    Not sure about your car, but my Kia Niro hybrid has a 12v battery reset button, which is used to reset that battery if it dies. Same parent company, so I'd have thought yours would have something similar.
    Pandamansays02/05/2022 09:16

It's a design fault (or rather penny pinching on the part of …It's a design fault (or rather penny pinching on the part of manufacturers).The 12v battery on my hybrid car is tiny and is easy to discharge whether that be by using too many accessories, or not driving enough, or driving the wrong type of trip.

Just like those start stop system (my mazda5 start stop battery fails yearly).
    Author
    sm969001/05/2022 10:29

The RAC has EV breakdown cover where they can give you a charge - …The RAC has EV breakdown cover where they can give you a charge - https://www.rac.co.uk/breakdown-cover/electric-car-breakdown-coverDoes it not come with breakdown cover from new? That would cover this surely?

It sure does, but for convenience like when going on hols, would like to sort it, and get on the go quickly myself.
    Author
    djandy_200101/05/2022 10:35

Not sure about EV but this has been fantastic for me and charged phones …Not sure about EV but this has been fantastic for me and charged phones toNOCO Boost X GBX45 1250A 12V UltraSafe Portable Lithium Jump Starter, Car Battery Booster Pack, USB-C Powerbank Charger, and Jump Leads for up to 6.5 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0924V8SPC

I have the lesser noco model on my radar, £99 but been as low as £75 recently so tracking that.

Thanks
    Author
    EndlessWaves01/05/2022 17:54

Wouldn't it be better to replace the low voltage battery in the car? Or …Wouldn't it be better to replace the low voltage battery in the car? Or are the failures other modules draining the battery and will affect whichever battery you put in?

Unsure what the causes are. We have the car on the motability scheme, so whilst we are fully covered and from what i've read, replacement batteries under the warranty are the solution, I still need something to jump start the battery if we get caught short needing to be at a certain place within a certain time.
    EndlessWaves01/05/2022 17:54

Wouldn't it be better to replace the low voltage battery in the car? Or …Wouldn't it be better to replace the low voltage battery in the car? Or are the failures other modules draining the battery and will affect whichever battery you put in?

It's a design fault (or rather penny pinching on the part of manufacturers).
    The 12v battery on my hybrid car is tiny and is easy to discharge whether that be by using too many accessories, or not driving enough, or driving the wrong type of trip.
    Author
    alg02/05/2022 09:55

Not sure about your car, but my Kia Niro hybrid has a 12v battery reset but …Not sure about your car, but my Kia Niro hybrid has a 12v battery reset button, which is used to reset that battery if it dies. Same parent company, so I'd have thought yours would have something similar.

That's a great feature to have that sadly isn't on the Kona electric. It is on some other Hyundai models, just not the Kona.
's avatar